Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Anyone got any beginner tips for a brainlet like me playing a Wretch? Im not sure what I should be trying to do out the gate? How do you level up? I wandered around and found a catacomb with little green fuckers that basically can 2 shot you and make you bleed. I died about 47 times before I just left with 700 souls. (almost got to the end but didnt want to lose the souls i earned again)

Should I try to get some gear before I try and go into places like that? Or does it not matter and Im just gonna get skull fucked no matter what until I do start to get better gear and lvls?

I found a hatchet off one of them but you need 14 dex. This game doesnt really tell you shit haha. (Im not familiar with Souls series)

edit I bought for PS5.

Head to the church near the starting point, make that a base of operations and then grind exp on the soldiers to the east in the camps. They drop armor, and most importantly, the Brass Shield. You want a shield with 100% Physical Resistance (aka no physical damage gets through a block).

As far as weapons go, I don't know. I saved up and bought a Bastard Sword from a merchant out in the middle of nowhere and I've been using that.

Once you get the horse (stay at the church bonfire at noon, ghost appears at night and gives it to you) you can defeat that first optional horseback boss by jousting him. It still took me a few tries. Was the most fun horseback fight I think I've ever had in a game. Got the Golden Halberd which has some high requirements (30 str, 14 dex, 12 faith). I wish it were 20 str because I'm almost there already and have the others. Wonder if it's worth building up specifically for.

Metalhead Metalhead Just found the mines in the swamp, think I got all of the smithing shards from there. This is highly recommended for people starting out as well because it's close to the beginning. East of the starting cave to the swamp and north to the mine, watch out for the boss that can appear in the swamp. Upgrade your weapon of choice with the shards at the Nexus place, start making progress. I guess the tough part is figuring out what to use the shards on.

As far as Quality builds go, is it better to build up Str and Dex evenly or can one far-outpace the other without it being much of an issue? I've been putting points into Str and Dex at like a 3:1 ratio.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I need to figure the summon thing out, but haven’t read anything past the tutorial when I got the Jellyfish. Tried summoning it in the Leonine fight and Margit but never got the icon. Restarted in offline mode but still no dice. Something dumb I’m overlooking

How to get summons to work

Go to the church with the santa vendor and rest a time or two after you get Torrent. A NPC will spawn at the wall. Talk to her and she gives you a bell and a summon. The bell enables you to use the summons, you don't need to equip it, it's just a key item.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
How to get summons to work

Go to the church with the santa vendor and rest a time or two after you get Torrent. A NPC will spawn at the wall. Talk to her and she gives you a bell and a summon. The bell enables you to use the summons, you don't need to equip it, it's just a key item.

I’ll try that tomorrow. Was pretty sure that’s what happened when I got jellyfish but maybe not. Maybe I just got the summon and not the key item bc I skipped that part. Thanks.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
To add a little onto Rajaah Rajaah post, go a little farther north east from the ruined church and there will he some ruins full of those human soldiers as well as a camp spot literally right next to the ruin. The soldiers can all drop a pretty good armor set, that brass shield, as well as a straight sword. The ruin camp has two big black carts on either end of it with a chest on each that contain a mace and greatsword. Its a really good camp to get kitted out in.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Just got my first "named" Spirit Ashes. 104 FP, don't even have enough to use him yet, but I want to try. Man this game is enormous. I don't believe in spoilers, so I read a ton before the game dropped. I heard of the Weeping Peninsula, I just figured it would be a small area off of Limgrave. Area is huge in its own right. I have done so many small dungeons here, plus Castle Morne AND a Minor Erdtree, and I am still not done. Praise the Sun!

• 1Like

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Couldnt find way in - i ended up in Caelid by random misfortune lol - i hadnt even gotten to Margit but had decided to travel :D
Is the Catacombs the one in the Scarlet Rot Swamp that has the baby Erdtree leading the way to it that needs double Stonesword Keys? Or is that another one?

nu_11

5 hours flew by and I still feel I haven't scratched the surface. Found the Claymore!

Quick question though...

Is margit the first "main" boss you are supposed to fight? that dude wrecked my shit. Feel like I was underleveld as my +1 longsword wasn't doing anything to him. Ran around and found the claymore and upgraded it to +2, hoping that helps.
about margit...
i'm pretty sure margit is the first main boss to progress the story

he's such a bullshit boss. i could get him to 2nd phase without losing any health but his 2nd phase is omega-gay. it's NEVER okay to attack him in the front, and there are about 3 attacks that i found relatively safe to get some shots in but he doesnt do them often. so it takes forever to kill him with only +1 upgraded 2-hander

i'm playing this to solo the bosses without using shield or summons

nu_11

For anyone tempted to waste 3 keys opening up the imps in Roundtable Hold... don't bother.

"Rewards":
Crepus's Black-Key Crossbow (slightly longer range than usual xbow)
Book you give to the prophet looking dude for two incantation unlocks - Assassin's Approach (-fall dmg / noise) and Darkness (cloak).
too late. i spent them for that crap =(

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20220225_235723.jpg

If anyone sees this message in the first room, it was I who dropped it. I wonder how many appraisals it's up to now.

What do you get when someone appraises your message? I just got two appraisals while I was posting this and a ton before now.

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
I got Margit down starting as a wretch.

Also holy shit I have like 6 map areas already...

• 1Like

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I killed that boss after hours of wiping only to realize I couldn't equip his weap yet. Obviously I was supposed to skip that dude when first reaching limgrave...

I'm wondering If i should go str/faith, dex/faith or str+dex/faith, is dex that important for fast casting? or is it minor?

If its any help... Pyro is mixed into faith now so I think some dex may help eventually but you have time to munch on it after u equip this awesome weapon

Last edited:

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
So I took the day off work, went in 100% blind. Spent a lot of time on Torrent just running around...

there is an underground and a bunch of gated off shit. No way I will have this finished in under a 100 hours. The locations look really cool. The only way I was able to take Margit down was bleed, used the dagger that dropped from an invasion by (Stop reading now if ya want to explore yourself.. )
Patches

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
After a few more hours of playing, I can safely say I am absolutely going to get nothing done IRL this weekend.

My current goal: play the fuck out of Elden Ring until I get annoyed at some industrial-strength turbo bullshit boss, then switch over to my new Total War: Warhammer 3 campaign. Play the fuck out of that until I get annoyed at some omega-gay bullshit Warhammer nonsense, then switch back over to Elden Ring.

Rinse and repeat the above cycle until my neckbeard fully grows in, glistening with golden Cheeto dust.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Why do I suck at video games. WWWHHYYYYYYY!!!!! fuck you god for giving me negatives stats in video games. This game is hard.

• 2Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Jesus Christ this mage cunt is one shotting me in phase two with 25 vigor…. Another spike in difficulty, though the boss room is insanely cool

Calling it. Have 4 straight days to progress starting tomorrow and running on 3 hours of sleep.
This game is unbelievable

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah it’s pretty damn epic. I’ve sunk 8 hours into it just running around the map, getting distracted by some area for a bit, go wander around some more. No way will I be anywhere near 30 hours to beat this, I’ve barely opened the map.

• 1Like

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Minimal armor now for med load and rolling with a 100 phy block brass shield and weapon. Great against those slicy boss but am feeling like a poor wretch all over again. No resources for vigor and endurance...