Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Did 5 hours with a Vagabond play through (mainly exploring) and now I’m going to give a confessor a try. I’ve been playing this on my PS5. I tried it on the PC but the frame drops, stuttering and lack of ultrawide monitor support is making me hold off on it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Haven't followed the release...is it running well for the most part for PC? Any reason to wait?
Runs great for me. A few minor pc tweaks then their patch this morning killed stuttering completely for me. It runs fantastic for me now. 3700x processor, RTX3070 gfx card.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Haven't followed the release...is it running well for the most part for PC? Any reason to wait?

Been working great for me. There was a lot of complaints immediately at release but they’ve been patching and acknowledged issues. Still not a lot of great menu options and UW support or unlocked frames.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Crucible Knight absolutely kicked my ass 3x as long as Margit, I had to actually learn to parry in order to do any dmg. Fun fight though once I learned to git gud.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just did what I would consider my first "jumping puzzle", pictured left, because I saw something on the top of it. Was a player marker, sons of bitches.

1646011138104.png

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you're hurting for runes/levels, this is some seriously easy cheese.

If you like to feel less chessy and work for the kills the that dragon bridge bonfire is connected to a large area that you can stealth bs those assassins for 1k per pop and there are lots of them running around. Works out roughly the same imo

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Ya Godrick only took a couple of tries before I got his moves down. He was much easier than Margrit. But I think some people told me it was the opposite for them: no problem with Margrit but tough time on Godrick… weird.

One thing I've learned about this series is that depending on how you play, thing A can be easy for you and hard for someone else while thing B can be hard for you and easy for someone else.

Hell, I frequently read that Dark Souls 2 is the easiest of the series, yet I find it exponentially harder than Souls 1 OR Bloodborne. Some say Sekiro is easier than Bloodborne, I find it WAY harder. Ebrietas is regarded as a hard fight in Bloodborne, yet I found it super easy. Blood-Starved Beast is regarded as a fairly easy fight and yet he wrecks me 50% of the time. I had no trouble with Gehrman and lots of trouble with Martyr Logarias, everything I've read has said it's the other way around.

Point is, these things seem to be totally different from person to person.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Crucible Knight absolutely kicked my ass 3x as long as Margit, I had to actually learn to parry in order to do any dmg. Fun fight though once I learned to git gud.

I spent quite a bit of time on him today using my two hand Angel Wing scythe. Got to where I can pretty much regularly get him down to his phase with the tail, but the spin move covers so much ground it was getting hard to poke and roll. I can say that after him Leonine was a breeze.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Before we begin, I suck at this game so take my complaints with a grain of salt.

I went sorcery.

pros;
  • attacking stuff at range
  • killing mini bosses at range because they are not resistant to sorcery
  • using Gemstone Arc to hit multiple enemies at once when they are close together
cons;
  • Many mobs, especially bosses, kill you in two hits which fucking sucks
  • It takes 2 shots minimum to kill most enemies which means in places like Stormveil Castle mana/fp management fucking sucks
  • Having to split your flasks between healing and mana recovery
  • I have only just finished clearing Stormveil and am still forced to use the 2 starting spells because every other spell I have found fucking sucks (I have just gotten a couple new spells I haven't had the chance to try out yet, though)
  • Using ash to make your weapon do magic damage and scale off INT is all well and good but you still hit like a wet noodle and anything that is magic resistant or hardened fucking sucks to fight
  • Can't play around with weapons because you don't have the stats to equip anything
  • because you need to invest so many points into INT to reduce the number of casts to kill anything all your other stats suffer
  • you are stuck using shitty armour because you can't afford to go above med encumbrance and into fat rolling
  • enemies, especially npc invaders and those guys in those circle things, dodge your casts which fucking sucks
  • Faster moving enemies, like birds, are hard to hit with your casts and you may end up missing which fucking sucks
  • Your casts' range is difficult to gauge because lock on range is like 50% further than cast range so you may end up casting a few shots at something only to have it dissipate millimetres away from the enemy which fucking sucks
  • Casting on Torrent in combat against anything that moves faster than a snail fucking sucks.
  • there is a wind up when you cast and if you get hit you stop casting which fucking sucks
  • Almost everything kills you in two hits, I mention this twice because this is the one that is making me consider restarting as melee and it fucking sucks.
Parts of the game are roflsnort easy mode and other part are hair pulling levels of frustration. I know that is par for the course in a SoulsBorne game but there is a difference between dying because you mistimed one too many dodges and dying because you mistimed one dodge. The only reason I beat Margit and Godrick was because of the NPC summons available. If I hadn't of used them I think it would have taken me 4 or 5 times the number of tries it took me.

But, like I said, I suck at these games.

And yet... I stop playing and 15minutes later I want back on.

Also, I know it has been said but removing durability from the weapons was a very, very sound decision.

9/10 thus far.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Golden Halberd from the first open world boss (can be jousted down without too much trouble) seems to be a great weapon...and doesn't use smithing stones to upgrade. I used my smithing stones on the Bastard Sword I've been using the whole time and now I'm switching to Golden Halberd and using somber stones for that. I've got the Bastard Sword to fall back on if I need something a little quicker. Point is, you can beef up a low-tier weapon and be fine because most of the spicier weapons use somber stones.

I found a Crystal Sword somewhere that looks really cool (sorta like the Blueblood's Sword from Demon's) and runs off of int, so that'd be great for a caster.
L60 now am still using the goldenberg paired with brass shield and shield barricade ash. The faith req is nice to access fireball. That thing has so much reach...

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Before we begin, I suck at this game so take my complaints with a grain of salt.

I went sorcery.

pros;
  • attacking stuff at range
  • killing mini bosses at range because they are not resistant to sorcery
  • using Gemstone Arc to hit multiple enemies at once when they are close together
cons;
  • Many mobs, especially bosses, kill you in two hits which fucking sucks
  • It takes 2 shots minimum to kill most enemies which means in places like Stormveil Castle mana/fp management fucking sucks
  • Having to split your flasks between healing and mana recovery
  • I have only just finished clearing Stormveil and am still forced to use the 2 starting spells because every other spell I have found fucking sucks (I have just gotten a couple new spells I haven't had the chance to try out yet, though)
  • Using ash to make your weapon do magic damage and scale off INT is all well and good but you still hit like a wet noodle and anything that is magic resistant or hardened fucking sucks to fight
  • Can't play around with weapons because you don't have the stats to equip anything
  • because you need to invest so many points into INT to reduce the number of casts to kill anything all your other stats suffer
  • you are stuck using shitty armour because you can't afford to go above med encumbrance and into fat rolling
  • enemies, especially npc invaders and those guys in those circle things, dodge your casts which fucking sucks
  • Faster moving enemies, like birds, are hard to hit with your casts and you may end up missing which fucking sucks
  • Your casts' range is difficult to gauge because lock on range is like 50% further than cast range so you may end up casting a few shots at something only to have it dissipate millimetres away from the enemy which fucking sucks
  • Casting on Torrent in combat against anything that moves faster than a snail fucking sucks.
  • there is a wind up when you cast and if you get hit you stop casting which fucking sucks
  • Almost everything kills you in two hits, I mention this twice because this is the one that is making me consider restarting as melee and it fucking sucks.
Parts of the game are roflsnort easy mode and other part are hair pulling levels of frustration. I know that is par for the course in a SoulsBorne game but there is a difference between dying because you mistimed one too many dodges and dying because you mistimed one dodge. The only reason I beat Margit and Godrick was because of the NPC summons available. If I hadn't of used them I think it would have taken me 4 or 5 times the number of tries it took me.

But, like I said, I suck at these games.

And yet... I stop playing and 15minutes later I want back on.

Also, I know it has been said but removing durability from the weapons was a very, very sound decision.

9/10 thus far.
I had to do a bunch of farming with the astrologer to get int high along with str/dex/vigor. Int is now high enough that I'm one shotting trash. I have 7 flasks with 5/2 ratio for mana pots. I just beat Godrick at level 55. You have to use swords to compliment your magic. Hopefully that changes later on but you do have to farm way more than other classes it seems.

• 1Like

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Just discovered Dragonbarrow... Holy shit. This game is amazing.

Same, i got wrecked but I got a few grace sites activated anyway haha, killed a few bats in a nearby dungeon and peaced out.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
CPU was running 73c or so, 6 fans on like 600-700rpm maybe.

I bumped fans to 1000 rpm and set it to borderless window, chugging and performance issues alleviated and CPU temp dropped back into mid-high 50c.

With borderless window display option I think I'll be able to lower fans back to default. GPU max is 45c regardless. It's the CPU strain I'm worried about.

Last edited:

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Ok finally got the game and have been playing for about two hours. Started with the wretched class and I found the bandit camp with the flail and longsword. I guess I'll sit here for a few and farm them until I feel confident enough to move on.

When the game starts off and you face off with the grafted(sp?) scion I think he hit me and the screen just blacked out and I woke in pool of water. Did I miss a cut scene or something? It felt like the game glitched out or working as intended?