Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Jerry Seinfeld playing Elden Ring "And whats with all the people dying on roof tops?"

• 6Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 8 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The Finger Church in Roundtable is definitely creep as shit too.
Yes, Lord.....FINGER me!

Yes Lawd GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
How do I get/make perfumes? I still haven't found them.

Goonsquad Officer
How do I get/make perfumes? I still haven't found them.
uhhh shit. i found a perfume bottle in a set of ruins that had a perfumer in it. either far northeast lurnia or just into the aldus plateu. maybe it was IN the rot swamp in caelid. i remember fighting a perfumer and finding some bottles laying around in the nearby ruins.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
i fucking love the use of audio/visual markers in the world that hint you how to find things. just off the top of my head:

the grim reaper statues reveal the direction of a crypt
the glow trees let you track the ghost to a dungeon or something.
the paintings of another place you go to
the grace points whisping at the next objective in the region (i wish they'd shut off when you get their target tho).
the trees always have a guy to punk down
the towers where you unlock the runes are always super tall
the mini boss storage bowls with the weird ass worms pointing their flash lights.

i like the way various types of 'side dungeon' offer various rewards. so you generally know a crypt is for ash, a mine is for upgrade materials.

I like hunting thte map obolisks to reveal the map.

all of that is super excelent. the game tells you where things are without either giving you a quest marker, or using words to lead you by the nose.

i bet there's other things i'm not even thinking about.
What are you talking about, this game is littered with a confetti mine field of directions and commentary about every little aspect of the game.

And only like 10% of it is helpful.

As per this "advice" I have been walking into walls, jumping off cliffs, squatting on anything with a diameter less than three inches, constantly being reminded that I don't have the right or that these messages can also look like items. And not even sure what to do with the suggestion of trying my finger, but as a hole.

If anything I could use a little less information.

• 1Cringe

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
The item comparison QOL stuff I agree with, to an extent. There are ways to do item comparison that you may not have explored, I didn't really understand it until I took the time.

The world exploration thing I disagree with. The game has a tremendous amount of features integrated in that replace the map objective markers in other games and it makes the whole exploration mechanic feel very engaging where other games feel like more of a checklist to go through.

Besides that, you need a mysterious and abstruse world in order to build a community around singleplayer games. This thread or the personal communication would be totally different if the game directed you to everything.

As funny as the git gud memes are, it's not about getting good, it's about having a deep experience made permissible only through making it difficult.
I agree with you for the most part, I don't want anything super explicit but there are a few questlines where the next step is so obscure that a single player playing with no spoilers/hints etc would take ages to find.

You guys keep mentioning it building community, I agree the discussion and problem solving of quests and stuff is super fun as a group, however if you are playing alone with no spoilers some of the very obscure stuff is going to be super time consuming to discover, requiring doubling and tripling back, rolling around every ruin, slashing every wall. Talking then retalking to NPCS over and over at different stages. It's also really easy to skip quests and then go back and the NPC's you needed to talk to are just a body of items and you are expected to know where to go next without any hints at all. I don't think it needs to be *THAT* obscure. Some level of mystery and problem solving is good and fun but I think someone doing a spoiler free run is going to miss A LOT of great zones/content/bosses that they don't even know exist. Which is a damn shame is all I am saying.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I agree with you for the most part, I don't want anything super explicit but there are a few questlines where the next step is so obscure that a single player playing with no spoilers/hints etc would take ages to find.

You guys keep mentioning it building community, I agree the discussion and problem solving of quests and stuff is super fun as a group, however if you are playing alone with no spoilers some of the very obscure stuff is going to be super time consuming to discover, requiring doubling and tripling back, rolling around every ruin, slashing every wall. Talking then retalking to NPCS over and over at different stages. It's also really easy to skip quests and then go back and the NPC's you needed to talk to are just a body of items and you are expected to know where to go next without any hints at all. I don't think it needs to be *THAT* obscure. Some level of mystery and problem solving is good and fun but I think someone doing a spoiler free run is going to miss A LOT of great zones/content/bosses that they don't even know exist. Which is a damn shame is all I am saying.

I think the old adage "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for life." works here.

It's not a shame. The ones who want to find the stuff will find the stuff. The ones who don't will enjoy their version of the game. This will never be the game that feeds you. It will be the game that might possibly teach you.

• 1Like

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you use a weapon that comes with its own ash enchant already and then change the ash to something else, do you lose the original forever unless you loot a copy at some point?

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Is anyone really using the crafting? I feel like I'm neglecting it all the time. I use some of the curing items for situational purposes (scarlet rot), but otherwise I don't feel compelled to use most of the stuff.

I considered using some of the buff foods, but trying to farm the special ingredients from them felt like an MMO grind.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I feel like there's a million things to craft, but I have no idea when I'd use any of it and I haven't even looked at half of it. I did craft some little throwing bones because I needed some ranged shit, though.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was doing a strength/faith build where I focused on med-heavy armor/shield with heals and buffs for summons. I didn't like how it was turning out do to the lack of upgrades and build boredom was starting to set in. I ran across this build video decided to switch since I had good amount of the pieces. So far I like it but I can't say how viable it is later on. I'm in Luirnia for example and I still need to upgrade the scythe past +2 and need two more faith for the godsend seal. I was bummed to find out you can't enchant the scythe with the black flame.

Speaking of which...where can I find somber stones +2?
I think the first Somber (2) you can get is when you summon
Blaidd
to help you kill
Bloodhound Knight Darriwil

I had a +2 unique weapon well before doing Stormveil.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

aaf.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you use a weapon that comes with its own ash enchant already and then change the ash to something else, do you lose the original forever unless you loot a copy at some point?
No. This was not obvious until I took a leap of faith but nothing is lost and there is no cost to recover the original ashes of war.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is anyone really using the crafting? I feel like I'm neglecting it all the time. I use some of the curing items for situational purposes (scarlet rot), but otherwise I don't feel compelled to use most of the stuff.

I considered using some of the buff foods, but trying to farm the special ingredients from them felt like an MMO grind.
Problem with crafting is I need consumables most when I am most likely to die and lose the buffs. If they were more valauble I'd sell them, but right now I just ignore them. I'm sure that hurts me in some way but the opportunity cost of using them is too high unless I hear of a huge benefit.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I dunno I made some roped throwing poison pots once to try against a boss and every time I tried to throw them they'd just go nowhere and hit me.

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I have used it mostly for throwing weapons. I probably wouldn’t have if I was a caster. I use it for weapon enchants, and I’m guessing there are spells that do that too. I made some specific status curing items early on but now that I have ten flasks I tend not to need them.

• 1Truth!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think the old adage "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for life." works here.

It's not a shame. The ones who want to find the stuff will find the stuff. The ones who don't will enjoy their version of the game. This will never be the game that feeds you. It will be the game that might possibly teach you.
This is the thing.

From shows an amazing amount of trust in the player to go out and find these things. Whereas the tRiPlE AAA developer would think that developing anything for a game and not forcing the player to encounter it is a waste of money in developing it. So they don't. Which is why the big games don't have cool secrets to go and find really.