Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
PS- Also agree with Raj that Samurai is the best starting class, outside of specific playstyles. You are literally given every tool in the toolbox, aside from magic which you can level into later if you want. You can even be dual wielding katanas ten minutes in, if that is your jam. They only build that would be better would be if a faith spear option existed at the outset like it sort of did in Demons Souls. Hoplite style is very newb friendly and actually a lot of fun. But as it is, ths starting Samurai is pretty much decked out with near mid game options right out of the gate, good enough to take down that first Sentinel early if your dodge game is on point.

Goonsquad Officer
I started as a horrible naked man and did the chonk boy armor and shield. I did... shit... mace morning star, massive brick hammer then finished the game with the amazing night rider Halibert and finger print shield. No lie that brass shield is like third best in the game and without the absurd weight of the finger print or horrid furnace.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
To avoid all the spoilers and easy to grab weapons etc. Get enough dex to use this https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Dismounter and farm the dudes that drop it for it. Put the rest into vigor until it drops then go from there. You will level up both your skill as a player and your stats while trying to get it to drop.

This is also my strategy with farming the Brass Shield in that first camp. Get a bunch of levels, get a shield that might never get replaced. Generally you want to grind levels in areas that you're also farming something from, or are learning how to play better with.

There are a couple of big level-up tricks in Caelid, but on a first run through the game they kind of cheese it and bring it down a bit. They're there for someone who absolutely can't make any progress though.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
1672167451658.png

• 15Worf
Reactions: 14 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
To the new guys: don’t think of it as choosing a class (no such thing). Think of it as choosing a starting kit. Everyone’s the same, you just start with different shit.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Loaded up my level 260 character in NG++ and ran over to the first arena. Did a 4 player brawl and won, was a blast. KSing other people when their opponents were near death took me back to my ultra-cheap tactics in PVP MMOs of old.

What's the shortest route to unlocking the other two arenas? Like what's the bare minimum I'd have to do in a normal no-glitching run? I'm guessing the Caelid arena can be reached very early if I find out the route to it (cause I don't remember), while the other arena is off of the royal capitol somewhere so...no telling when I can access that one.

I have to reach all 3 on foot to unlock them all in the Roundtable Hold. Had such a blast in the first one that I gotta try all the modes now.

All I've done so far is beat Margit. I'm guessing at minimum I need to beat Godrick, Rennala, and the Draconic Tree Sentinel.

Goonsquad Officer
i think of starting class as where you want your dump stats. if the kit has stats you won't want long term, super minmax man may want to use another. namely that's why people do the naked man. that fool starts with no points put anywhere so you get to pick them all. you can just be a walking hitpoint if you want. THough there's...weird ass curves in power gain per point that are in no way intuitive.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The only right answer is putting all your points into strength and power stancing the two biggest and ugliest abominations you can find.

Anything with shields or spells and your Dad was right you're a little fairy faggot

• 2Truth!
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
To the new guys: don’t think of it as choosing a class (no such thing). Think of it as choosing a starting kit. Everyone’s the same, you just start with different shit.

I agree completely, but I do want to note that Samurai stands out a bit because of their great starting weapon and ability to wield two Uchis very early. Any other class would have to wait until NG+ I think (and by then it wouldn't matter because there are better katanas).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Loaded up my level 260 character in NG++ and ran over to the first arena. Did a 4 player brawl and won, was a blast. KSing other people when their opponents were near death took me back to my ultra-cheap tactics in PVP MMOs of old.

What's the shortest route to unlocking the other two arenas? Like what's the bare minimum I'd have to do in a normal no-glitching run? I'm guessing the Caelid arena can be reached very early if I find out the route to it (cause I don't remember), while the other arena is off of the royal capitol somewhere so...no telling when I can access that one.

I have to reach all 3 on foot to unlock them all in the Roundtable Hold. Had such a blast in the first one that I gotta try all the modes now.

All I've done so far is beat Margit. I'm guessing at minimum I need to beat Godrick, Rennala, and the Draconic Tree Sentinel.

No one's chimed in on this yet. Anyone know off the top of their head?

I'll probably just take a day and plow the game regardless, want to get a second Hand of Malenia. I guess I didn't fight her again on NG+, the second fight with her I was thinking of (that went a lot better) was on the PS4 version. So now I gotta fight NG++ Malenia to get a second Hand. Taking the 3rd through 9th off and want to hit ER and Crisis Core with some of that.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
No one's chimed in on this yet. Anyone know off the top of their head?

I'll probably just take a day and plow the game regardless, want to get a second Hand of Malenia. I guess I didn't fight her again on NG+, the second fight with her I was thinking of (that went a lot better) was on the PS4 version. So now I gotta fight NG++ Malenia to get a second Hand. Taking the 3rd through 9th off and want to hit ER and Crisis Core with some of that.
I haven't played since before that update so can't say for sure but assuming it's the places I'm thinking of, the Caellid one is actually a bit of a bitch to get to, iirc the only way to go there is via the elevator that comes from the Deep Siofra Well. Might be a way to glitch down from normal Caellid or up the part that's near the swamps but don't know, at least the natural way you need to go through the well. That said it's not that bad you can kinda just run through, you need some keys to use the elevator but nothing bad.

For the colisseum that's in Leyndell, you just need access to that, which requires 2 bosses dead and nothing else. Can be any 2 bosses, usually it'd be Stormveil and Raya bosses but can be whatever. Also need to go to Leyndell entrance first which either requires the 2 pieces for the elevator(you can get that at lvl 1 without any fighting) or you can use the maiden "shortcut" in Raya that takes you to Volcano Manor and then walk your way out, but there's a forced boss and if you're too low it'll be quite a pain in the ass(the 2 maidens at the same time). Can also just walk up the mountain, but again there's a boss in that, the big salamander dragon thing, although this one isn't so bad if you summon the NPCs to help and have ranged attacks, even at low level. Elevator is simpler though.

I'd say both can be done at level 1 probably, lots of running and avoiding fights but doable. If you're slightly leveled it shouldn't be a problem.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I haven't played since before that update so can't say for sure but assuming it's the places I'm thinking of, the Caellid one is actually a bit of a bitch to get to, iirc the only way to go there is via the elevator that comes from the Deep Siofra Well. Might be a way to glitch down from normal Caellid or up the part that's near the swamps but don't know, at least the natural way you need to go through the well. That said it's not that bad you can kinda just run through, you need some keys to use the elevator but nothing bad.

For the colisseum that's in Leyndell, you just need access to that, which requires 2 bosses dead and nothing else. Can be any 2 bosses, usually it'd be Stormveil and Raya bosses but can be whatever. Also need to go to Leyndell entrance first which either requires the 2 pieces for the elevator(you can get that at lvl 1 without any fighting) or you can use the maiden "shortcut" in Raya that takes you to Volcano Manor and then walk your way out, but there's a forced boss and if you're too low it'll be quite a pain in the ass(the 2 maidens at the same time). Can also just walk up the mountain, but again there's a boss in that, the big salamander dragon thing, although this one isn't so bad if you summon the NPCs to help and have ranged attacks, even at low level. Elevator is simpler though.

I'd say both can be done at level 1 probably, lots of running and avoiding fights but doable. If you're slightly leveled it shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah I remember the Caelid arena being the last thing I discovered in the game when I 100%'d it. That place is so out of the way and hard to reach that I was shocked when it was just a dead end at the time. I couldn't even tell someone how to get back to it., but now that you mention it I remember the deep well.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
NG++, double platinum, and I just found another area that I've never seen before. Auriza Hero's Grave. I was looking around the edges of Leyndell to figure out if that north area of the map could be home to a DLC (probably not, looks like it's all jagged mountaintops and a big ravine). What I did find was a whole new dungeon hidden under where the Draconic Tree Sentinel hangs out. Amazing that I'm still finding stuff I missed. Got the Golden Epitaph which is an interesting-looking sword that I had no idea existed.

But wait! There's more! Also just found another dungeon, Auriza Side Tomb. I wonder if there's anything else I've totally missed.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
NG++, double platinum, and I just found another area that I've never seen before. Auriza Hero's Grave. I was looking around the edges of Leyndell to figure out if that north area of the map could be home to a DLC (probably not, looks like it's all jagged mountaintops and a big ravine). What I did find was a whole new dungeon hidden under where the Draconic Tree Sentinel hangs out. Amazing that I'm still finding stuff I missed. Got the Golden Epitaph which is an interesting-looking sword that I had no idea existed.

But wait! There's more! Also just found another dungeon, Auriza Side Tomb. I wonder if there's anything else I've totally missed.

One that surprised me and I hated finding it, was the War-dead catacombs in Radahn's area (north end) - Fuck that place.

• 2Faggotry
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
One that surprised me and I hated finding it, was the War-dead catacombs in Radahn's area (north end) - Fuck that place.
Yeah, I had to come back to that one. After beating Radahn, then getting my ass beat in that place right after it, I was like nahhh.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Yeah, I had to come back to that one. After beating Radahn, then getting my ass beat in that place right after it, I was like nahhh.

Even when I came back, it was one of the few dungeons i didn't try to kill my way through and just sprinted for loot/the boss.

• 2Faggotry
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The rumor is that Elden Ring has 10+ DLCs on the way (or updates, if you prefer...I'm guessing some of them will be full-featured expansion pack type paid DLCs and I hope one of those is out soon.

The arena update was "DLC 01" internally at From, and the extra digit there indicates that they plan more than 10.

Rumor is DLC 02 will be a boss rush mode that lets you set the parameters / choose boss fights and go through a bunch of them in a chain.

I could see this game getting major updates 2-3 times a year for the next four years or so. I wasn't sure how I felt about games getting continually updated like this, but lately I'm starting to like it. Dragonball Z Kakarot just got its fourth paid DLC and they announced a 5th and 6th on the way over the next year-ish. And the DLCs for that (well, 3 out of 4 of them) have been pretty high quality for the price. AEW Fight Forever is going to have a DLC update model instead of sequels like the WWE '22 series. Seems like this is becoming more and more the norm and I'm not against it. Would have been awesome if we'd had things like this when I was a kid, like if Chrono Trigger or Super Metroid kept getting updates or tweaks. Imagine A Link to the Past getting a new dungeon/overworld area added to it like two years later or something.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users