Embers Adrift

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much. What's the problem?
Despite being 23 years old and made at a time where computer/internet tech was pretty shitty, EQ still managed to make most of the classes feel/play pretty different. Especially as expansions went on, AAs were added, etc. An enchanter plays much different than a wizard, who plays different than a bard, etc.

Slow-paced combat is fine, but when you also add in "low-fantasy" on top of it and everyone is some variation of a martial class, nothing feels different. It'd be like if EQ had a Rogue, Warrior, Monk, and Berserker as your only class choices.

"Oh, I'm the class that auto-attacks with an axe instead of a sword!"

"Oh, me? I'm the class that auto-attacks with daggers, but from the back!"

"I'm just the guy that auto attacks with a sword and shield, but I have a taunt every 15 secs!"

Like I said, that all just feels like nothing other than an aesthetic choice after a while, especially in a game with slow combat and long CDs. More of a "choose your weapon" rather than "choose your class".

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Despite being 23 years old and made at a time where computer/internet tech was pretty shitty, EQ still managed to make most of the classes feel/play pretty different. Especially as expansions went on, AAs were added, etc. An enchanter plays much different than a wizard, who plays different than a bard, etc.

Slow-paced combat is fine, but when you also add in "low-fantasy" on top of it and everyone is some variation of a martial class, nothing feels different. It'd be like if EQ had a Rogue, Warrior, Monk, and Berserker as your only class choices.

"Oh, I'm the class that auto-attacks with an axe instead of a sword!"

"Oh, me? I'm the class that auto-attacks with daggers, but from the back!"

"I'm just the guy that auto attacks with a sword and shield, but I have a taunt every 15 secs!"

Like I said, that all just feels like nothing other than an aesthetic choice after a while, especially in a game with slow combat and long CDs. More of a "choose your weapon" rather than "choose your class".
Agree. The game has an EQ feel but definitely isn't the same. Especially in the magic department.

My main games for the last few years have been BDO and GW2, action games for the most part. And I tend to play the classes in those games that have the fastest, hyperactive moves. So Embers is a big shift for me. But for whatever reason, I like the change of pace and the EQ vibe.

At least for now. Don't have any idea if that will be true next month.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
makes sense. yea i was kind of wonderingif there was any wacky tools, like feign death snare/fear or kiting. pushing mobs. anything that lets you commit jackassery

not pet caster yet i presume? cus low fantasy?

There is snares, cc, sap, mez, fear etc. As well as Stam buff classes etc.

It may not be high fantasy but it has a good variety of abilities and mechanics based on what you play.

Goonsquad Officer
thats cool. gonna give it a go! i'll post my name later. dunno what i'll play, maybe a tanky mctankerson

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
What are the mechanical differences? From what I've seen of the gameplay, it's basically slow ass EQ auto-attacks with long cooldown abilities.

Each specialization has skills that are more geared towards certain roles than others.

Defenders
  • Juggernaut: AoE/offense-oriented tank
  • Knight: Defense-oriented tank
  • Marshal: CC tank
Strikers
  • Berserker: DPS with AoE skills
  • Brigand: DPS with CC abilities (this is closest to your EQ Enchanter)
  • Warden: DPS with various utility (including a heal and Spirit of the Wolf)
Supports
  • Duelist: Burst healing with additional offensive utility
  • Sentinel: Powerful HoTs with defensive utility and offtank capability
  • Warlord: AoE regens mixed with some CC and offensive utility (essentially a cross between an EQ Bard and Shaman)
The strengths of each specialization result in different tactical decisions while playing. The mechanical differences between the classes aren't how you push the buttons (like in FFXIV) but why you push the buttons.

Also, something I've noticed is that the DPS classes don't really deal all that much more damage than the non-DPS classes - it's all about how you leverage your spec's unique strengths in the group.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Each specialization has skills that are more geared towards certain roles than others.

Defenders
  • Juggernaut: AoE/offense-oriented tank
  • Knight: Defense-oriented tank
  • Marshal: CC tank
Strikers
  • Berserker: DPS with AoE skills
  • Brigand: DPS with CC abilities (this is closest to your EQ Enchanter)
  • Warden: DPS with various utility (including a heal and Spirit of the Wolf)
Supports
  • Duelist: Burst healing with additional offensive utility
  • Sentinel: Powerful HoTs with defensive utility and offtank capability
  • Warlord: AoE regens mixed with some CC and offensive utility (essentially a cross between an EQ Bard and Shaman)
The strengths of each specialization result in different tactical decisions while playing. The mechanical differences between the classes aren't how you push the buttons (like in FFXIV) but why you push the buttons.

Also, something I've noticed is that the DPS classes don't really deal all that much more damage than the non-DPS classes - it's all about how you leverage your spec's unique strengths in the group.

yeah the marshall is cool, I've only seen one and he kept locking guys in place if we got an add. I get a mez of some sort at 12 (Warden).

Goonsquad Officer
how does one delete a character? i made some to just reserve names . i made a defender (to be a knight) and a melee dude (to be a brig). i kind of want to play with the character builder but it stops you at 3 menz?

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
This flew under my and seemingly most content creators umbrellas. Is this the pantheon we needed and didn’t know it?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
This flew under my and seemingly most content creators umbrellas. Is this the pantheon we needed and didn’t know it?
Definitely some ground floor possibilities. This is going to go viral for how fun but bad it is. My feelings anyway.

Goonsquad Officer
how do tradeskills work? i know some one talked about it earlier. like how many choices you can make . i looked back and didn't see it.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
how do tradeskills work? i know some one talked about it earlier. like how many choices you can make . i looked back and didn't see it.
3 total. Get first to lvl 6, can choose 2nd. Get those two to 12 and can choose a third.

Goonsquad Officer
3 total. Get first to lvl 6, can choose 2nd. Get those two to 12 and can choose a third.
cool good to know. instinually i kind of want to do like hides, mining, armor. i often do potions with herbalism or whatever but not sure i will this go.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider

These guys are doing it all wrong. They need to make less content and ask for more donations :mad:

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
I spent like 2 hours trying to get to level 2 and got insanely bored. What am I missing here?

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
It's a social game, you got friends or a guild to role with?
I live in Germany now and the EU community seemed to be pretty small. But I'll try hopping on again to try and find people to get to know.

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I live in Germany now and the EU community seemed to be pretty small. But I'll try hopping on again to try and find people to get to know.
It's actually insane how small the EU community was on EQ in comparison to the US one. Not surprising an EQ-like draws mostly a US crowd.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's actually insane how small the EU community was on EQ in comparison to the US one. Not surprising an EQ-like draws mostly a US crowd.
Wasn't that mostly because they played on US servers though?