Embers Adrift

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
That’s what I was curious about. No one really knew anything about the game when it started. What’s it like now that we’re a month or two in?

People at max level (is that 60?)? There a trading economy? Any type of raiding or multi-group dungeons etc?

My first impression while getting to level 9 was that all of the classes felt roughly the same or similar, but I expect that evolved the more specialized you choose/advance.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
they start to differentiate but its not like WoW classes where each is a unique thing. its very low fantasy everyone is a peasant using a sword or whatever. some are better with swords, some have pocket sand, some have bandages.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Max level is currently level 50 however, no one is even close to that yet, TMK, due to there really not being any available content beyond lvl 35 or so. In fact, I think I saw folks say that the highest level mobs grey out at lvl 40 or so.

They're doing some nice things in the game that definitely push it towards more player interdependence than most other modern MMOs offer. And the community is certainly more helpful to other players that I've seen too.

Having said all of that, they still got a ways to go to sustain long-term player retention, IMO.

Last edited:

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Anyone still playing this? What's the state of the game? Is performance better and more content?

gLobal

Trakanon Raider
Anyone still playing this? What's the state of the game? Is performance better and more content?
A little over a month ago they had a free weekend. I picked it up and have been playing it off-and-on since. It would be hard for me to recommend to most people, because it still feels 'unfinished'. The last patch added a new zone, a few QoL improvements, ability adjustments, 8 quests, and some performance tweaks.

My biggest concern is the playerbase. At peak time, it's only ~80-100 people. Outside of peak hours is plain sad. A few nights ago, I did a "/who all" and there was only 14 people on.

For anyone thinking of trying it, here's what I like about it:
  • No cash shop!
  • Feels old-school & doesn't hold your hand
  • There's very little information on the internet (quest walkthroughs, theorycrafting, etc.), so you really figure it out as you go
  • The lore is decent
  • The trinity is alive and well. Also pullers!
  • Day/Night system is pretty dope
  • Tradeskills are useful
  • Levels last long enough that you really get to explore the zones
  • People are generally very helpful
  • Game runs pretty well for me
The bad:
  • Few players/groups outside of peak times
  • Economy is pretty weak (see above)
  • Combat can get repetitive
  • Itemization needs a lot of work
  • Zones/mobs have a lot of copy/paste going on
I could keep going, but that's the gist. If you do buy/sub, know that it's practically charity support for these types of games. I'm hoping they have a plan to address the population. They recently lowered the box and subscription price, but I doubt it'll make much difference.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
My biggest concern is the playerbase. At peak time, it's only ~80-100 people. Outside of peak hours is plain sad. A few nights ago, I did a "/who all" and there was only 14 people on.
Impossible! People swore up and down this would be highly successful despite being retarded and not launching on Steam.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Peak time 80-100 people does not sound good at all. Im betting this gets shuttered soon if they dont turn this around quick.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Impossible! People swore up and down this would be highly successful despite being retarded and not launching on Steam.
I was under the impression they would launch without Steam and months later, launch again on Steam? Is that not the idea? This game isnt my type of game (I need something other than melee weapons to keep it interesting) but I do like to show my support for the smaller MMO devs.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The level range is too big for the playerbase. I was playing when the game was at its most popular and it was still really hard to find groups at level 20. Eventually I just stopped logging in.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well thats poorly planned. Why in the world would they try to grab peoples attention with a free weekend, when that same weekend is essentially going to be dominated by Diablo 4. Granted, not everyone is going to play D4, but still.

skylan

Trakanon Raider
Well thats poorly planned. Why in the world would they try to grab peoples attention with a free weekend, when that same weekend is essentially going to be dominated by Diablo 4. Granted, not everyone is going to play D4, but still.
Agreed, I'd give it a shot if it were this weekend for sure. Next weekend I'll be on D4.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Not launching this on Steam, shows how stupid the devs are.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
8 hours till this starts! I'm going to do this, but I'm going to be a crappy groupmate as there's so much stuff to watch right now (isle of man tt, f1, motoGP, owl).

I'm doing a fast (3 - 5 days) so I need a good game to distract me.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I was thinking I was high teens in level but I was only 8. I was remembering my beta characters.

Game is slow paced but definitely not slow enough to play while watching the above stuff.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Embers Adrift is now buy-to-play, with an optional subscription for character slots, bank space, and some convenience stuff:

1685921122954.png

They also introduced a feature in March that expands the level range at which players can group. I'm definitely going to make time to try out all the new stuff.

1685921202117.png