Embers Adrift

Goonsquad Officer
Not me, but I can't really go crazy playing. I mostly get to play on the weekend so I'm only 14

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The changes to leveling with 2 con+ mobs have really turned me off from the game. I still enjoy it but you can't really do anything without a group now, so that usually equals one day a week of play time.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The changes to leveling with 2 con+ mobs have really turned me off from the game. I still enjoy it but you can't really do anything without a group now, so that usually equals one day a week of play time.
And thats the problem with these forced grouping games. Its all fine and dandy if you have a set group and you have shit ton of fun. But once the group is gone its no longer fun. Shit even EQ had places you could solo and the exp solo was OK. Certain classs were solo gods and could venture deep into dungeons and camp shit if they had the balls to go and break camps.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
And thats the problem with these forced grouping games. Its all fine and dandy if you have a set group and you have shit ton of fun. But once the group is gone its no longer fun. Shit even EQ had places you could solo and the exp solo was OK. Certain classs were solo gods and could venture deep into dungeons and camp shit if they had the balls to go and break camps.
oh hell nah. Certain classes could solo you mean. EQ was 100% a forced group game don't you dare "even in eq you could..."

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
oh hell nah. Certain classes could solo you mean. EQ was 100% a forced group game don't you dare "even in eq you could..."
To be fair there were more classes you could solo with than you couldn't. But I agree most likely you duod or boxed or something. Just cause you could solo doesn't mean it was productive

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
i'd be willing to say half and half. If you are talking could solo kill a blue mob (which granted exp), under a certain set of circumstances. Actual, productive soloing? fuck no, like 4 out of what 12?

Even when they added light blue, some classes could not solo them.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shit I mostly soloed on my Ranger back in the day up till like 60. Using fear kiting animals. I also grouped when I could find one, but sadly I had only a few hours a night to play so waiting for a spot in a group was not always the best way to go. Then when POP came out we had the headshot bow BS that allowed us to solo even better against humanoids. Blues were always the most efficient, even in a group. Sure you could take out a few whites and yellows in groups but you had longer downtime. So yeah blues were always the way to go even in groups.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Remember early eq had no group bonuses, or at least not enough. Soloing could typically outpace groups because of overhead (smokers, kids, etc)

P99 green recently reminded me of that. Duos left everyone in the dust.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Your talking about level 60 and pop, so like 3-4 expansions in. Rangers werent soloing shit in vanilla eq. I could be mistaken but im pretty sure there were huge level gaps where there were no animals to kill for exp. Surefall glades, karanas, then like nothing.

In early eq the solo classes were necromancers, druid/wiz(quad kiting), and mages. Shamans could root rot to solo but were welcome/needed in groups. Warriors, monks, rogues, paladins, shadow knights, clerics, rangers, enchanters, bards were forced to group. P99 isnt real vanilla, everything else is rose colored glasses, eq was 100% a forced grouping game for the majority of its players.

Bards could do some zone wide kiting but it wasnt until they fixed instruments that it was effective at all. I remember in rathe mtns a bard would be running around with half the zone chasing him. It took an hour to kill the shit for a chunk of exp, but 1 slip up and the bard died. Literally the only /ooc in rathe was monks yelling at bards for training them (monks had some quest guy there later i think, but there was a rez staff early on that was $$) and bards asking for a rez. Later in kunark they gave instruments stats or fixed it so the stats did something, i can't remember, but it allowed bards to kite zones and kill shit in 20 minutes instead of an hour and thats when you started seeing bards solo.

I dont remember if it was kunark or later when they added light blues (formerly green mobs) that would give exp but i remember clerics being happy as pigs in shit because they could finally solo something and gain exp, vs very specific undead light blue mobs.

Kunark changed a lot of things that enabled more classes a chance to solo, like animal mobs across level ranges, changes to charm mechanics so enchanters could even use that spell, etc but it still only got to maybe 50/50 classes that could/could not solo

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shadowknights were ok at soloing. We had to early in the game, SK"s had a rough exp penalty that effected the whole group.

It was slow, mostly fear kiting while smacking on the mob's back. But we had FD, so splitting packs was fairly easy. We could pick and choose our fights and go pretty much anywhere. Got a lot of levels soloing that way.

About Embers, it definitely has a kind of EQ vibe. But without FD, it will never be as good.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I was gonna play this I was like seconds from pushing that purchase button. But then I heard people talking about no magic, man that just sucks.

• 1Solidarity

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
A word of warning: don't try to run ember vein dungeons with scrubs. You might be able to get your bag back but the brain cell losses are permanent.

• 1Worf

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Was finally able to pick up this game and some jogger stole my name? I saw him running around last night too. If you see a Sylas thats not me. Tell him to suck a dick.

Trying to decide on a class atm, marshall or brigand?

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Both are instrumental in groups because they stop you from getting wiped by a bad pull or adds. I think the game needs more Marshalls (because they can tank as well) but either class is a great choice.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Both are instrumental in groups because they stop you from getting wiped by a bad pull or adds. I think the game needs more Marshalls (because they can tank as well) but either class is a great choice.
What about warlord? I've only read through the summary of classes once but that initially struck me as good utility in groups.