End of the world thread 12/21/12

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Oh a related note: Back when that old minister predicted the Rapture I read an article that a group of atheists had offered to take care of the pets of those who thought the world was going to end. What became of that after the world failed to end? Did they hand the pets back or what?

dangler_sl

shitlord
Im pretty sure the deal was something like- For $100 "when" the rapture hit, the atheist would go to the persons house and retrieve the animal and take care of it. Kind of like pet insurance.

something of that nature.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't followed any of this, was this an actual prediction or did their calander just stop on that date?
Smash spoiler to access emergency debunk kit

2012_960.gif

2012_960.gif

no the world isnt ending and if im wrong may we all be crushed from above somehow.
Funny you should say this. A 120 foot wide asteroid just passed between the earth and the moon yesterday. Not something that would end the earth, but would do some damage if it had hit. It was only discovered on Sunday. A 3 mile-wide asteroid will be near 4.3 million miles from earth at it's closest approach today. In all likelihood, something like that would probably be what does the earth in, not a Mayan calendar date.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the mayans were so good at predicting the future in their calendars they couldnt even predict their own demise. way to miss the fucking boat quetzokuato!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
That's a great infographic there Lambourne.

One of the main reasons for the hype around the "end" of the Mayan calendar in my opinion is the cultural clash between the Western linear model of time and the Mayan (and others) cyclical model.

The linear model by default has a beginning and an end. It is so pervasive in Western society that it's practically impossible not to be drowned in apocalyptic visions of the future end times: The biblical Apocalypse and return of Christ for the Christians; the Deep Freeze, or the universe's implosion (Gib Gnab) by the scientists, depending on whether they think the universe will expand forever, or cycle back and collapse; the zombie apocalypse for nerds; the rise of the robots for geeks; the list goes on.

So when people hear of the end of a cycle, many instinctively view it as The End, with a capital "E", oblivious to the fact that they are placing their linear model on a cyclical one.

fucker_sl

shitlord
i'm disappointed

i was expecting major events of mass crazyness all around the world from ppl freaking out, but so far, they have been few and minor

not to mention that fucking Requiem banned Lumie. Screw the whole board thing, that was the worst thing he did and no one mention it

anyone able to contact him and get him here? we need our lulz

Silence_sl

shitlord
i'm disappointed

i was expecting major events of mass crazyness all around the world from ppl freaking out, but so far, they have been few and minor

not to mention that fucking Requiem banned Lumie. Screw the whole board thing, that was the worst thing he did and no one mention it

21st, not 12th.

Solariss

Golden Squire
i'm disappointed

I've known Lumie for 12 years now, before the dawn of FoH. I don't know him IRL, but we've remained good gaming friends for that time and we still talk all the time. He's a really cool dude actually, and as I've told you all before, as far as I can remember he never used to be religious, or research and preach any of these so called conspiracies until recent years. I told him to sign up here, and he just said, "why?" I really don't think he likes that people don't take him seriously

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
maybe i had to be more precise: i was expecting crazyness not just the 21st, but in the month before the date
WELL LISTEN HERE. I can name a NUMBER OF THINGS that areINDICIATIVE OF the end of the world.First and foremost, I was at walmart and an elderly lady grabbed my arm and told me "beware of the months end." We all know thatold people are full of wisdom, therefore it's a valid warning. Secondly in our area we reached a temperature of 33 degrees, and if you rotate the first 3 it's a mirror image of the 2nd three, and if you over lap them it makes an 8, which is infinity,which is how long the world will end for. ALso I've noticed an icnreased number of car wrecks in my area.

/lumie

fucker_sl

shitlord
I've known Lumie for 12 years now, before the dawn of FoH. I don't know him IRL, but we've remained good gaming friends for that time and we still talk all the time. He's a really cool dude actually, and as I've told you all before, as far as I can remember he never used to be religious, or research and preach any of these so called conspiracies until recent years. I told him to sign up here, and he just said, "why?" I really don't think he likes that people don't take him seriously
he must live a very sad and solitary life then

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Maybe we can introduce Lummie to my mother, shes like to pick up strays these days.

Anyone who believes the world will end on 12/21/12 deserves to be sodomized by a ballistic missile. Enough said.

Fuck Mayans.