Engagement rings

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, that's what shesays. Unfortunately, once she gathers at the hen house, it'll be an entirely different story.
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure she's going to like what I come home with, and I've actually already showed it to her best friend to get pre-approval. I'm well within my budget, and I'm getting it from a local craftsman who makes the rings himself start to finish. I have a much easier time living with a large purchase from a guy like that than a sales agent.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Moissanite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not bad. Is it cheap? I mean how much rock does a couple of thousand $$ get you, Tubro?
More than you'd want to lug around.

1ct is $275.
5ct is $1500.
Loose Moissanite Stones : MoissaniteCo.com, Fine Moissanite Rings and Moissanite Jewelry

There's no need to worry about the color or clarity. Moissanite gems are all the same perfect stone.

Yeah, that's what shesays. Unfortunately, once she gathers at the hen house, it'll be an entirely different story.
Thanks to my tutelage my wife has developed a superiority complex to women who love diamonds.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
At our belated VD dinner last night, the special lady friend and I were discussing our mutual friends' recent engagement. The couple that originally introduced us to each other got engaged last week. The dude makes good coin, and got her some 10k+ monstrosity. I asked my special lady friend what she thought of the ring. Her first adjective was "obnoxious".

She passed the test.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Thanks to my tutelage my wife has developed a superiority complex to women who love diamonds.
Didn't you guys get married right out of high school? First love and all that? How old are you two? It won't be long before she starts craving some of that dick she missed out on during her "wild" years she never had.

Her first adjective was "obnoxious".

She passed the test.
Yeah, a woman would definitely turn down a 10k object on her finger. It's "obnoxious" because she's jealous, just like all women would be who got a less than 10k dollar ring.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Didn't you guys get married right out of high school? First love and all that? How old are you two? It won't be long before she starts craving some of that dick she missed out on during her "wild" years she never had.
We got married at age ~25 after 5 or so years of consistent dating. I guess only time will tell if she or I go through that phase but I'm not going to worry about it.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm

Yeah, a woman would definitely turn down a 10k object on her finger. It's "obnoxious" because she's jealous, just like all women would be who got a less than 10k dollar ring.
For newlyweds, a 10k ring isn't going to be obnoxious. A high quality 1ct brilliant can cost 6-8k, and 2ct of the same quality is going to be conservatively 15-20k. I am talking towards the upper end near flawless. Neither of these are going to appear very big. 10k will sit around 1.5c.

Obnoxious (for newlyweds) is 3ct or more, which will cost 60-70k for the same quality.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
For newlyweds, a 10k ring isn't going to be obnoxious. A high quality 1ct brilliant can cost 6-8k, and 2ct of the same quality is going to be conservatively 15-20k. I am talking towards the upper end near flawless. Neither of these are going to appear very big. 10k will sit around 1.5c.

Obnoxious (for newlyweds) is 3ct or more, which will cost 60-70k for the same quality.
Who the fuck spends that kind of money on jewelry? Jesus.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
At our belated VD dinner last night, the special lady friend and I were discussing our mutual friends' recent engagement. The couple that originally introduced us to each other got engaged last week. The dude makes good coin, and got her some 10k+ monstrosity. I asked my special lady friend what she thought of the ring. Her first adjective was "obnoxious".

She passed the test.
wrong. now you are being tested.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Nah bro, she dislikes diamonds for pretty much the same reasons most people here do (artificially increased prices, man made ones are just as good if not available in as large of sizes, conflict diamonds, conspicuous consumption, and so on). She's said that she'd just want some "antique looking" ring with different, far less expensive stones.

Eyashusa_sl said:
wrong. now you are being tested.
See above. My chick's on board with Tuco, although not necessarily on the moissanite train since those just attempt to imitate diamonds, which she doesn't like in the first place.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Eomer we've already discussed this. You're reading the signs all wrong. It won't be too long until you're jerking off in the bathroom after she goes to bed.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Stupid extra E.

Noodleface_sl said:
Eomer we've already discussed this. You're reading the signs all wrong. It won't be too long until you're jerking off in the bathroom after she goes to bed.
Generally I jerk off before she gets home and begs me for the D.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Nah bro, she dislikes diamonds for pretty much the same reasons most people here do (artificially increased prices, man made ones are just as good if not available in as large of sizes, conflict diamonds, conspicuous consumption, and so on). She's said that she'd just want some "antique looking" ring with different, far less expensive stones.
You're well off, right? Here's the test: Go buy her some "antique looking" ring that she "likes". Then buy her a giant diamond, something that costs 20k+ and is "obnoxious". Make sure you tell her how much it costs. Give her the diamond first, once she's done being giddy, tell her, "Ok, here's the deal. You can keep that ring, but I also got you the antique ring you wanted. It's entirely up to you which one you'd rather have." Then, let us know which one she chooses. She'll most likely attempt to "reason" her way into keeping both(probably something along the lines of, "Well, you've already purchased both!"), but there is no way in hell she'll immediately throw back the 20k+ monstrosity.

Any woman who tells you that she finds a man putting a gigantic, expensive object on her finger "obnoxious", is a goddamn liar and chalk full of jealousy. She'll "say" she hates diamonds for all sorts of bullshit reasons. You know why? Because she knows the likelihood of her ever getting one is basically nil, so it's easy to make up excuses why she doesn't "want" one. Also, the likelihood of her gettinganyring decreases, if she doesn't say what she knows you want to hear.

We got married at age ~25 after 5 or so years of consistent dating. I guess only time will tell if she or I go through that phase but I'm not going to worry about it.
If you make a decent enough salary, you may be safe(this could also be another downfall that leaves her questioning). You may also be safe if she keeps herself highly insulated from other females. However, if you ever find yourself out of work, or once her biological imperative has been fulfilled(kids), I'm betting she starts to question it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I got my then fiance a smaller carat diamond engagement ring. She told me it was the perfect size and any bigger would be gaudy.

How much you want to bet if I got her a 6ct diamond she would say the same thing? 12ct? Infinity-ct?