Engagement rings

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I dont reject science. I dot know what ever gave you that idea, Its a fine balance of riding the line between health and fun. I know the risks and I accept them. I don't need you to post 2 page dissertations about what I already read and researched.

We all have our demons, bro. Im sure you have plenty yourself.
Good answer, my man. Researching doesn't mean you come to the right conclusions about health risks though. Especially not if you have no background in health science. If you kept your misguided assumptions to yourself one might shrug. A whole thread dedicated to this says you don't, and advice others to follow your lead. I question your judgment, Sir, in this and also the serious grown up subject of engagement rings.

I guess the real beef here was you call other peoples choice of women bitches, while defending your own choice in one who puts faith, or at least meaning, into mumbo jumbo likebirthstones. I don't know which is more weird, love of diamonds or attributing names to rocks.

Demons? Sure, I'm not infallible. However I don't see how that legitimizes anything related to your stance on carcinogenics though.

Back to the wonders of Moissanite. I have Mrs. Izo intrigued!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yep birthstones, nice colored rocks that represent my kids birth dates, nothing less nothing more. My wife does not worship the stone god.

And if I followed everything doctors say, I would live in a bubble eating different colored veggies and breathing purified air. And the thread I created was to help people stop smoking. Every one can make their own minds up. Ive been smoke free for a year now and feel fucking fantastic.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You're certain Eomer is being tested. I'm asking how sure are you that you're not being tested yourself? Some seem to imply women are cunning and will do anything for wealth. Will I get burned for following your advice with the moissanite? I'm tipsy, it was meant to a nudge-nudge joke. I blame cosmic radiation. Hmm.
TrainWreck1.gif
I dunno if he's being tested. The variance in the female mind is massive.

When/if I have kids we'll see what happens. I make decent money and save most of it, so I have enough saved away that I have a lot of options if expensive changes arrive.

Buy the moissanite earrings if you want. If your wife hates them you didn't waste much money.

$260 for 1ct of earrings:
3-Prong Round Moissanite Martini Stud Earrings [ear031] - $0.00 : MoissaniteCo.com, Fine Moissanite Rings and Moissanite Jewelry

Just don't buy them and tell your wife they're diamonds.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I dunno if he's being tested. The variance in the female mind is massive.

When/if I have kids we'll see what happens. I make decent money and save most of it, so I have enough saved away that I have a lot of options if expensive changes arrive.
Good for you Tuco, and gratz if the kid thing is true? You will love it.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Yep birthstones, nice colored rocks that represent my kids birth dates, nothing less nothing more. My wife does not worship the stone god.
No, she attributes meaning yo something that couples astrology with rocks. Sounds much better than wanting a diamond. Let's call other peoples choice bitches. Maybe I'm just jealous 'my' birthstone is sucky? I guess anything is possible.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Its more likely to be applying personality and meaning to inanimate objects than astrology or mysticism.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Oh my god dude, just stop already. Im out. Enojoy your diamonds guys and gals. Fucking thread killer.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
At our belated VD dinner last night, the special lady friend and I were discussing our mutual friends' recent engagement. The couple that originally introduced us to each other got engaged last week. The dude makes good coin, and got her some 10k+ monstrosity. I asked my special lady friend what she thought of the ring. Her first adjective was "obnoxious".

She passed the test.
Dunno bro, 10k may be obnoxious but 5k may be perfect in her eyes.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You want a shock? Look into who started the trend of giving diamond engagement rings, and into just how scarce diamonds are(n't).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Like any gem it's best if you can see it in person before paying. If they existed when I got my wife's ring I would have looked into it.
And there's the problem. Before I bought my wife's engagement ring I had her 95% talked into moissanite, she just wanted to actually see a stone in person. Nope. Went to, or called about 10-15 different jewelry stores and department stores in the city, nobody carried any moissanite jewelry of ANY kind, and about half of them acted like they didn't even know what I was talking about when I asked.

Ended up with a diamond. If I'm going to spend a few grand on a ring, I guess I'd rather do it on something I can look at and I know we like, than on blind faith over the internet with no clue what it would actually look like. Wasn't willing to gamble the money sight unseen.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'm sorry you don't have a relationship in which you can trust what your wife tells you.
I can trust what my wife tells me. However, she's also a woman. Now, there are great women, good women, bad women, horrible women, and everything in between. However, it's hilarious watching men pretend like 200,000 years of women evolving gets erased, because of what they "tell" you.

EDIT:
The girl I'm currently dating is the only one I've seriously considered proposing to and she has flat out told me that she does not want a diamond ring. She doesn't like diamonds.
Now none of this changes the fact that I will still make extremely chauvinist jokes at women's expense.
Ok, cool, she doesn't like diamonds. There are plenty of 20K+ dollar rings out there which don't involve diamonds. You're lying to yourself if you think your woman wouldn't shit her pants if you came home with a 20k ring.

My wife made it plain to me she had no use for a diamond ring, and agreed with me it was a total waste of money. And yes, had I come home with a $30k ring she'd have chewed my ass off for being so irresponsible when what she (we) really wanted was a home.
My wife knows that they are a total waste of money also. In fact, she'd much rather us spend 30k+ on a house as well. But, my point is that it's hilarious that men just take a woman saying "obnoxious!" at face value, and think it means she suddenly isn't materialistic, or somehow doesn't "care" about getting nice/expensive things.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Meh, if it makes the woman happy and you have the money to do it, why not? What else are you going to spend a few grand on that'll get used every day for the next 30+ years?

I'll spend more on computers and video games in the next 5 years than I spent on her ring, and that shit will be totally worthless within a decade. You could argue that a diamond ring is more practical than any car or piece of electronics. Those won't be functionally useful for nearly as long.

If you want to really nitpick, a LOT of stuff that we spend our money on is stupid and wasteful. It's the American way
smile.png

Gravy

Bronze Squire
We were dirt ass poor when we got married, so my wife's ring isn't fancy, and it's not a diamond, because she doesn't particularly care for diamonds. It's a medium sized ruby surrounded by small diamond chips. Like I said, we was po', so she was just shocked that I had saved enough back even for this particular ring. She was thrilled with it then, and she loves it still.

It ain't the ring, it's the woman.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
How is a diamond engagement ring "functional"?
I guess functional isn't the word I was looking for, since it's purely decorative. But assuming we don't get divorced, my wife will be wearing it every day for the next 30-40 years. When you consider the total number of hours/days/years that it will be worn, it doesn't seem like such a waste of money.

It's not like I plunked down 5 grand on something we're going to throw in a box and never look at again. There are a lot of things that are bigger wastes of money IMHO, a diamond ring is nowhere near the top of that list.