Engagement rings

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
that's why I told Eomer he is the one being tested. It's never as simple as it appears when it comes to shit like this.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
He's being tested + a woman trying to impress her man will avoid looking like a gold digger. The more confident a woman is the more likely she is to test you with this bullshit and the less likely she is to adjust her attitude to avoid looking like a bitch.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, women aren't materialistic creatures who subscribe to "status" being one of/the most important thing(s) in life.
Maybe you chose the wrong bitches to be with?

My wife didnt give a shit. Nor is she materialistic. In fact she barely spends any money at all and we have plenty to spend.

In fact her engagement ring was made with stones from my grandmas ring which was given to me by my mom. Its plenty big enough grandma hooked me up. And she could not be happier. But she does not even wear it and she designed the thing herself. Right now she wears a cheap ass $500 ring because it has the birthstones of our two kids.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
You're well off, right? Here's the test: Go buy her some "antique looking" ring that she "likes". Then buy her a giant diamond, something that costs 20k+ and is "obnoxious". Make sure you tell her how much it costs. Give her the diamond first, once she's done being giddy, tell her, "Ok, here's the deal. You can keep that ring, but I also got you the antique ring you wanted. It's entirely up to you which one you'd rather have." Then, let us know which one she chooses. She'll most likely attempt to "reason" her way into keeping both(probably something along the lines of, "Well, you've already purchased both!"), but there is no way in hell she'll immediately throw back the 20k+ monstrosity.
Right, cause that's a plausible scenario!

Kirun_sl said:
She'll "say" she hates diamonds for all sorts of bullshit reasons. You know why? Because she knows the likelihood of her ever getting one is basically nil, so it's easy to make up excuses why she doesn't "want" one.
Nah, she hates diamonds man. Hate might be a strong word, but she doesn't give a shit about them at any rate. As far as her chances of getting one being "basically nil", how does that statement even make sense? If my special lady friend did like diamonds and I wanted to marry her, some diamonds she would get, even if I'd be thinking it was kind of stupid. My girl's a psychology geek who grew up small town poor, she honestly isn't a greedy bitch jealous of her best friend's engagement ring.

Kirun_sl said:
Yeah, women aren't materialistic creatures who subscribe to "status" being one of/the most important thing(s) in life.
That's some pretty hateful shit right there man. I feel sorry for you, quite honestly. Sure that's true in some or even many women, but that's a pretty wide brush you're painting with there.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Nah, she hates diamonds man. Hate might be a strong word, but she doesn't give a shit about them at any rate. As far as her chances of getting one being "basically nil", how does that statement even make sense? If my special lady friend did like diamonds and I wanted to marry her, some diamonds she would get, even if I'd be thinking it was kind of stupid. My girl's a psychology geek who grew up small town poor, she honestly isn't a greedy bitch jealous of her best friend's engagement ring.
Right, this is what she "tells" you. Woman say all sorts of shit that they don'treallymean. She knows it's what you want to hear, she assumes it's what she feels(mostly because she innately knows that the likelihood of her obtaining that lifestyle is almost nil. Her "poor" background helps her mind come to this assumption), but if some guy were to drop a 30k rock on her finger, you honestly think she's going to say, "You know what, no thanks! This is just too...obnoxious! I just want something antique!". Please...

Maybe you chose the wrong bitches to be with?

My wife didnt give a shit. Nor is she materialistic. In fact she barely spends any money at all and we have plenty to spend.

In fact her engagement ring was made with stones from my grandmas ring which was given to me by my mom. Its plenty big enough grandma hooked me up. And she could not be happier. But she does not even wear it and she designed the thing herself. Right now she wears a cheap ass $500 ring because it has the birthstones of our two kids.
Good for you. I'm glad that your wife has learned to live within her means and is "happy" with the ring you gave her. It still doesn't change the fact that your wife wouldn't have thought twice about you buying her a 30k dollar ring that was "obnoxious", 10 years ago(making an assumption on how long you've been married, due to the kids).

That's some pretty hateful shit right there man. I feel sorry for you, quite honestly. Sure that's true in some or even many women, but that's a pretty wide brush you're painting with there.
It isn't hateful or meant to be disparaging. It's the way women are, for better or worse. Men are some of the most delusional creatures on the planet sometimes, I swear. I'm glad you've bought into what your wives/SOs have sold you, but they don't even know whattheywant half of the time, you seriously think that they're able to be honest/rational about this sort of stuff?

Now, you'll mostly agree with me that women give terrible advice on how to attract, approach, hook, etc. other women, correct? Who is the first person you likely turned to on advice about women(during your most impressionable years)? Your mom, right? Even if you didn't directly ask for it, I'm sure she gave you "tips" along the road of life, correct? So, it's no wonder so many men hold the views that they do.

Now, as far as my "war" stories go, I don't really have any worth sharing. I'm actually married, pretty happily, and my wife knows my views/thoughts on all this. In fact, she pretty much agrees with them, yet it doesn't stop her from being guilty of the same things that 99% of women are. Nature is pretty difficult to overcome.

PS. My wife got a 2k dollar ring, she's "happy" with it. However, it's what I could afford, she "loved" it, but it won't ever mean that she'd have scoffed at the notion of me putting a 30k piece of hardware on her finger. When we were looking at rings, she absolutely fed me the same lines, "You know, I don't really need anything big!" "You know me, I like things simple!" etc. She said those things for the exact reasons I've mentioned. She knew the likelihood of me giving heranyring might have been diminished, if she didn't. If she came across as materialistic, needy, a gold digger, etc., it may have put a damper on the chances of us getting married. It wouldn't have(unless she outright refused a ring less than a certain dollar amount), but that didn't stop her from thinking it's what I wanted to hear.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Now, you'll mostly agree with me that women give terrible advice on how to attract, approach, hook, etc. other women, correct? Who is the first person you likely turned to on advice about women(during your most impressionable years)? Your mom, right? Even if you didn't directly ask for it, I'm sure she gave you "tips" along the road of life, correct? So, it's no wonder so many men hold the views that they do.
No way dude. The Girls Who Broke Your Heart Thread has been the go to place for advice during those years.

Unless you mean pre-puberty then yeah.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Kirun, I'm a relatively normal guy who has always had decent luck with women. There are terrible ones and there are awesome ones. I don't know how old you are, but to write them all off or paint them all with the same brush as you do, is really not only unfair, but pretty much flat wrong.

The girl I'm currently dating is the only one I've seriously considered proposing to and she has flat out told me that she does not want a diamond ring. She doesn't like diamonds. My girlfriend knows me pretty well and she knows that if you say you don't like something, you don't get something. I don't play coy and I don't play games. My point is that I believe 100% that she's being honest when she says that. Is my girlfriend some weird anomaly? No. I just don't get into serious relationships with vapid cunts. There are plenty of good chicks out there, assuming you're not a douche.

Now none of this changes the fact that I will still make extremely chauvinist jokes at women's expense.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Good for you. I'm glad that your wife has learned to live within her means and is "happy" with the ring you gave her. It still doesn't change the fact that your wife wouldn't have thought twice about you buying her a 30k dollar ring that was "obnoxious", 10 years ago(making an assumption on how long you've been married, due to the kids).
I wouldn't turn down a 80" Toshiba either if she brought one home. And your point is?

Seems like you had some bitch problems in life, bro. Its all right let it all out. You will feel better.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
lots of bullshit
Look bro, I'm sorry you've been damaged by hoes in your past. I'm sorry you don't have a relationship in which you can trust what your wife tells you. Not all woman are like you describe - not by a long shot. My wife made it plain to me she had no use for a diamond ring, and agreed with me it was a total waste of money. And yes, had I come home with a $30k ring she'd have chewed my ass off for being so irresponsible when what she (we) really wanted was a home. Hell I'd not be surprised if it made her reconsider me as a potential husband.

In short, stfu.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
He's being tested + a woman trying to impress her man will avoid looking like a gold digger. The more confident a woman is the more likely she is to test you with this bullshit and the less likely she is to adjust her attitude to avoid looking like a bitch.
Hows sure are you of your own wife here, test and such? I mean, was it a shared financial view that brought you together? What do you base your assertion on? Will I lose Mrs. Izo if I buy her Moissanite ricks for earrings and other jewelry?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I wouldn't turn down a 80" Toshiba either if she brought one home. And your point is?

Seems like you had some bitch problems in life, bro. Its all right let it all out. You will feel better.
How can we trust your judgement here, if you reject science? Are you a fortune teller?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hows sure are you of your own wife here, test and such? I mean, was it a shared financial view that brought you together? What do you base your assertion on? Will I lose Mrs. Izo if I buy her Moissanite ricks for earrings and other jewelry?
What are you asking me here?

The only earrings I've bought my wife were under $20. My previous car had a wooden bumper. My current car is missing a bumper because a drug dealer hit my car when he was speeding away from a deal gone bad. This is partially my fault because I live in a very cheap area. My wife knows I'm cheap and I'm not changing.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
How can we trust your judgement here, if you reject science? Are you a fortune teller?
I dont reject science. I dot know what ever gave you that idea, Its a fine balance of riding the line between health and fun. I know the risks and I accept them. I don't need you to post 2 page dissertations about what I already read and researched.

We all have our demons, bro. Im sure you have plenty yourself.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
What are you asking me here?

The only earrings I've bought my wife were under $20. My previous car had a wooden bumper. My current car is missing a bumper because a drug dealer hit my car when he was speeding away from a deal gone bad. This is partially my fault because I live in a very cheap area. My wife knows I'm cheap and I'm not changing.
You're certain Eomer is being tested. I'm asking how sure are you that you're not being tested yourself? Some seem to imply women are cunning and will do anything for wealth. Will I get burned for following your advice with the moissanite? I'm tipsy, it was meant to a nudge-nudge joke. I blame cosmic radiation. Hmm.
TrainWreck1.gif

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I wonder if the being cheap part will change when you have kids, Tubro. Is that why you save? Momma lion usually prefer her cubs in a safe environment. I don't know if that is a problem or a real concern where you live? Denmark is like The Shire, guns are rare and murder rates low.