Epic Games Storefront - A Good Incentive for Piracy

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
What price increase? The games would cost the same if they had exclusivity or if they didn't the PUBLISHERS set the price, not the platform. And Netflix has NUMEROUS exclusivity deals to deny other steaming platforms content AND regularly up their prices and people STILL love the thing. Your entire arguments are hypocritial and intellectually dishonest in the grand scheme of corporate marketing and fights for market share. Micrsoft, Sony, Nintendo, EA, Activision have all done similar and WORSE things with their content, and people still are first in line to bow to their corporate overlords. So take your self-righteous faggotry over Epic and shove it up your ass.

Okay, you just want to be a dick. Got it.

Every single company you listed has received plenty of criticism for exactly the things we're talking about here. Just because it happens elsewhere and in the past doesn't mean we have to be silent and take it now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
This argument comparing games to consumer goods like hamburgers and shoes is fucking retarded. Just stop it. I humored the argument for one post and I won't any longer. They are not similar markets in the slightest.

The real comparison is to music or movies.

It is like Disney taking all their content and moving it to Disney+. It is super anti-competitive and anti-consumer. Right now people are okay with the idea because it is only $6.99, but just wait until they start falling behind on updating, say, the iOS app slower than the Android app. A giant shitstorm will ensure and rightfully so. Same thing if the price starts increasing for no good reason. That's the whole fucking point.
Im sorry but you're not the one that can decide what the parameters must be to fit your narrative.

People need a pair of Nikes as much as they need to play Metro Exodus or watch Game of Thrones.

Entertainment is one giant bucket fighting for a finite resource and it's not necessary or required that all entertainment be available across all stores and platforms. No matter if its games, music, TV, movies, streaming, sports, etc.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Im sorry but you're not the one that can decide what the parameters must be to fit your narrative.

People need a pair of Nikes as much as they need to play Metro Exodus or watch Game of Thrones.

Entertainment is one giant bucket fighting for a finite resource and it's not necessary or required that all entertainment be available across all stores and platforms. No matter if its games, music, TV, movies, streaming, sports, etc.

This is just fucking stupid. You should be ashamed of making this argument. I even gave you a line to argue and you still came back with the same stupidity. You even counter your own stupid argument by admitting entertainment is in it's own bucket competing against OTHER ENTERTAINMENT. You know why that is? Because games are not like Big Macs and Jordans, they're like Star Wars and The Beatles.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
This argument comparing games to consumer goods like hamburgers and shoes is fucking retarded. Just stop it. I humored the argument for one post and I won't any longer. They are not similar markets in the slightest.

The real comparison is to music or movies.

It is like Disney taking all their content and moving it to Disney+. It is super anti-competitive and anti-consumer. Right now people are okay with the idea because it is only $6.99, but just wait until they start falling behind on updating, say, the iOS app slower than the Android app. A giant shitstorm will ensure and rightfully so. Same thing if the price starts increasing for no good reason. That's the whole fucking point.

I think that people feel less strongly about it when the company produced the content (or paid for its production) have exclusive rights. The long term examples are the Origin, uplay and Blizzard launchers, many people have been mildly annoyed because they don't like the extra bullshit but we haven't had outrage because people don't see it as wrong or anti-competive

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
This is just fucking stupid. You should be ashamed of making this argument. I even gave you a line to argue and you still came back with the same stupidity. You even counter your own stupid argument by admitting entertainment is in it's own bucket competing against OTHER ENTERTAINMENT. You know why that is? Because games are not like Big Macs and Jordans, they're like Star Wars and The Beatles.

No argument was countered.
My comparison to Nike is a separate paragraph, paragraphs are used to separate topics/ thoughts.

I know you lost the argument soon as you decided to twist my words instead of developing your own argument further.

I'll also add, I don't hate steam, and exclusives can be an annoyance, but businesses are free to make their choices and imo if a dev feels they'll be more rewarded with an exclusive, I respect that. Because the industry isn't easy and if exclusives allow these devs to be more successful that just means better games in the future as these small studios grow.

If Epic really gives 2 million for an exclusive, that's a huge cash injection for that studio. Sure some games have a lot of funding but 2M is nothing to sneeze at. And none of us are knowledgeable enough about any of these games finances to decide what's best for them.

So if you really hate exclusives, don't buy it, epic will know if it's worth it to keep doing it, but personally I feel like it's not a terrible thing for them to do.

• 1Like
  • 1MegaNeg
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

No argument was countered.
My comparison to Nike is a separate paragraph, paragraphs are used to separate topics/ thoughts.

I know you lost the argument soon as you decided to twist my words instead of developing your own argument further.

I'll also add, I don't hate steam, and exclusives can be an annoyance, but businesses are free to make their choices and imo if a dev feels they'll be more rewarded with an exclusive, I respect that. Because the industry isn't easy and if exclusives allow these devs to be more successful that just means better games in the future as these small studios grow.

If Epic really gives 2 million for an exclusive, that's a huge cash injection for that studio. Sure some games have a lot of funding but 2M is nothing to sneeze at. And none of us are knowledgeable enough about any of these games finances to decide what's best for them.

So if you really hate exclusives, don't buy it, epic will know if it's worth it to keep doing it, but personally I feel like it's not a terrible thing for them to do.

Just because I'm not going to Lithose Lithose you the difference between the markets for creative works and mass produced consumer goods doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

You said:

Ravishing said:

So, in fact, I didn't twist your words at all. You have been and continue to compare the markets for shoes to the markets for video games, and it continues to be ridiculous.

If you want to buy from them then great, go for it. I'm not going to support them while they act in this manner. I hope that this exclusivity thing is a short term play that goes away soon. If not, I hope that it blows up in their face and they fold. Regardless, I'm going to point out the ridiculous arguments made in support of their bullshit.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Just because I'm not going to Lithose Lithose you the difference between the markets for creative works and mass produced consumer goods doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

You said:

So, in fact, I didn't twist your words at all. You have been and continue to compare the markets for shoes to the markets for video games, and it continues to be ridiculous.

If you want to buy from them then great, go for it. I'm not going to support them while they act in this manner. I hope that this exclusivity thing is a short term play that goes away soon. If not, I hope that it blows up in their face and they fold. Regardless, I'm going to point out the ridiculous arguments made in support of their bullshit.
Excuse me?

I am not the one that "continues to compare the markets for shoes".
My Nike comment was because YOU were talking about shoes.

But regardless, there is no rule against comparing them the way I did. You are just making up bogus rules to try to win some strange argument.
You are twisting my words because you're implying I'm throwing Nike shoes into the Entertainment category, which I'm not.
I was comparing the necessity of Nike branded shoes vs the necessity of Games and TV.
Then my next paragraph I'm strictly talking about the Entertainment industry all fighting for the same finite resource = Entertainment Hours.

Sad I have to spell it out for you, but eh, par for the course with Epic haters I guess.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I log into the Epic Store get the free game and then logout. I'm doing my part to cost them money.

• 1Solidarity

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

You said:

Amod Amod I think I've passed the threshold for Meme maker. :p

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

LiquidDeath

Excuse me?

I am not the one that "continues to compare the markets for shoes".
My Nike comment was because YOU were talking about shoes.

But regardless, there is no rule against comparing them the way I did. You are just making up bogus rules to try to win some strange argument.
You are twisting my words because you're implying I'm throwing Nike shoes into the Entertainment category, which I'm not.
I was comparing the necessity of Nike branded shoes vs the necessity of Games and TV.
Then my next paragraph I'm strictly talking about the Entertainment industry all fighting for the same finite resource = Entertainment Hours.

Sad I have to spell it out for you, but eh, par for the course with Epic haters I guess.

Then it was a misunderstanding. I'm not sure how since I have been incredibly clear about what I'm talking about, but let's clarify one more time.

I'm not saying that Nike's are an entertainment product and I've never said you said they were either.

I have continuously said that you are directly comparing the market for Nike's (which is a mass produced consumer goods market) and the market for video games (which is a creative works market), which you have several times. You have not confused Nike's as entertainment, rather you believe that the supply and demand and other factors for Nike's in their market is somehow equivalent to the supply and demand and other factors for a video game in it's market.

That is where you are wrong and stubbornly saying I'm making up rules out of nowhere doesn't change the fact that the market factors exist and are very different on the separate markets for Nike's and video games. It is a fact of economics. It is precisely why you can catagorize one as a consumer good and the other as a creative work. Sure, there isn't a rule against comparing them the same way there isn't a rule that says you can't compare a cat and an airplane. That doesn't mean you can make useful comparisons or that your argument that the cat and the airplane function similarly is correct.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
wow you really decided to take this to the next level huh?
No, I'm not comparing the markets for these products, we're arguing about anti-consumerism and whether it's proper here or not.

The market has no bearing on this discussion. It's about how fair, or unfair, you believe Epic's actions are to pursue exclusives. That's where the majority here have differing opinions. And it does allow us to explore exclusives in other markets to get an idea how fair, or unfair, the practices have been. It really doesn't matter what market the products fall into since this is a feels argument, not data driven.

To argue markets would mean we have some inkling of intelligence about the financials & consumption behind the products. We really have no data to argue markets. We have feels, but that's it. Feels can argue their practices, and it also means nobody is going to change their tune about how they feel (generally). It's just arguing for arguments sake.

LiquidDeath

wow you really decided to take this to the next level huh?
No, I'm not comparing the markets for these products, we're arguing about anti-consumerism and whether it's proper here or not.

The market has no bearing on this discussion. It's about how fair, or unfair, you believe Epic's actions are to pursue exclusives. That's where the majority here have differing opinions. And it does allow us to explore exclusives in other markets to get an idea how fair, or unfair, the practices have been. It really doesn't matter what market the products fall into since this is a feels argument, not data driven.

To argue markets would mean we have some inkling of intelligence about the financials & consumption behind the products. We really have no data to argue markets. We have feels, but that's it. Feels can argue their practices, and it also means nobody is going to change their tune about how they feel (generally). It's just arguing for arguments sake.

Sorry, I'm not playing your ridiculous semantics game any longer. Anyone with a brain understands what you are saying is asinine and no amount of tantrum throwing about feelings will change that.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Sorry, I'm not playing your ridiculous semantics game any longer. Anyone with a brain understands what you are saying is asinine and no amount of tantrum throwing about feelings will change that.

The person throwing out the most insults says I'm the one throwing a tantrum. Good shit. Just started my day off with a good chuckle. Thanks.

Keep in mind that this is how this "consumer goods" / "markets" discussion started:

And don't even get me started on the hamburger and Air Jordan nonsense. Not only is the market so expansive as to make your argument irrelevant, but the number of similar, competitive products as well as ridiculous number of distributors makes the comparison silly on it's face.

Oh, and if Nike stopped selling their shoes anywhere but a single online application that had spyware, bad customer service, a terrible return policy, and was inferior across the board to Amazon and Walmart then you can bet your ass people would be bitching the same way.

And all I said was:

You seem to be implying there aren't as many different games to choose from as there are shoes. Games are everywhere and numerous, not buying from a particular store won't really matter. The gaming market is super saturated.

Then you immediately criticize my comment for bringing up consumer goods vs games, even though I was only commenting on YOUR comparison of the two. You also entered muddy waters since technically some games could be a consumer good as well if they aren't a service. Since we're literally talking the games in this case, and not the store or platform. Though some (most?) games these days would be considered a service.

In any case, you jumped off the deep end and twisted the entire argument instead of strengthening your defense. You know how Nancy Pelosi malfunctioned in her press conference yesterday? That's the first image I got when I tried to figure out how you got from A to B in this conversation.

Last edited:

Kaines

Potato Supreme

Yup, just a passing fad. Not a growing TREND in video games at all.....

• 1Like

rad

Lord of Guk
In 2006 I was pissed about this shit because I had to use Steam in order to play the TF2 beta... 13 years later almost every large publisher has an 'exclusive' launcher. Some of you are acting like this is a new thing and it's sorta bewildering.

Over a year ago this was probably little more than a pipedream on their part, then Fortnite blew up and BAM huge injection of capital. It doesn't surprise me that the launcher isn't fleshed out but you twats with the memory of a goldfish seem to ignore almost every similar service went through these growing pains. I could barely use steam for the first few years because of the resource issues it caused.

I think we're all old enough to remember when something was truly exclusive and you were hoping the game you liked was released for the acutal system you had. DLing a launcher is not a 500$ exclusive cockblock that it was on a console, but keep up the good fight boys. Allah shall reward you for each REEEE you shout in his honor.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Do you Epic-cock-gobbling retards really not understand the difference between first party and third party exclusives?

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 7 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Really, while the buying up exclusives is annoying, it's not really the problem. The problem is that they're buying up exclusives to sell on a store that isn't done. Launching a store that didn't have a shopping cart, a search function, email authentication, and whatever the fuck else they didn't bother with at launch, and instead trying to force consumers hands by buying up third-party exclusives is a legitimately shitty move.

This isn't "You need to go to McDonald's to get a Big Mac," this is "You need to go to McDonald's to get a Big Mac. Oh, and we don't have a cash register. You don't mind just dumping your cash in this jar, do you? We plan to have the cash register in Q1 of 2020."

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Do you Epic-cock-gobbling retards really not understand the difference between first party and third party exclusives?
Define this, because consoles definitely had both.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I will never get tired at the amount of salt the Epic store generates. That must be the real business model. Epic is actually a front for a vast salt mining syndicate.

I have to install another store for a game I really want and the store sucks because it doesn't integrate my snapchat feed into it. WHATEVER WILL I DO!?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users