EQ Never

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
That article pretty much sums up everything that is wrong with mmorpgs at this point. Mainstream players apparently thought: the models were fine; surely SOE was going to update the models after a huge, chest-thumping premier with character models they very deliberately wanted to feature; and despite thinking the models were fine still thought the Kerran models definitely needed attention.

There's a point fanboyism turns into boot licking and devs need to not listen, otherwise they think a character model like the Kerran is okay in the first place.

Gonna be lulz when EQN launches and SOE's best art style, direction and execution of character models is from a 15 year old game. And it's not like they have a particularly good history with revamping character models into something better over time, as it was one of the few things Vanguard had going for it, and they obliterated that with bullshit like making every male model look like a fucking body-building roid freak.

Think about it. A group of people being paid a lot of money to make smart decisions had to sit around discussing and then approving that shitty, Disney style character model. And then decide to add it to their world premiere of the game. That doesn't instill in my much confidence in the team! See also: world premiere trailer of Copernicus and the skeleton stabbing embarrassment.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Think about it. A group of people being paid a lot of money to make smart decisions had to sit around discussing and then approving that shitty, Disney style character model. And then decide to add it to their world premiere of the game. That doesn't instill in my much confidence in the team!
Either someones a total moron, or they are shooting for the 13-15 year old PS3 crowd. Either way, it not a good sign.

See also: world premiere trailer of Copernicus and the skeleton stabbing embarrassment.
What was this? I missed it.

Underjoyed_sl

shitlord
same here. EQN is the new SWTOR.
WoW killer, if you ask me.
more like WoW 2.0. The graphics are basically throw for throw the same and everything else looks like their design philosophy was "how can we improve on WoW". SWTOR tried that and EQ Next is doing the same thing SWTOR did. Might take another 50 years until we can finally purge WoW out of the fucking MMO genre. It's latched on like terminal virus

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, shorten the snout, shrink the pauldrons, and it'll look fine.

And since dark elves also got brought up here: make it so they all have the weird dragon-eyes from the concept art, and make it nearly impossible for them to have that vaguely pleasant look on their face (dark elves should always look at least mildly pissed off about something) that the model they showed us had, and they'll be decent.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Yeah, shorten the snout, shrink the pauldrons, and it'll look fine.

And since dark elves also got brought up here: make it so they all have the weird dragon-eyes from the concept art, and make it nearly impossible for them to have that vaguely pleasant look on their face (dark elves should always look at least mildly pissed off about something) that the model they showed us had, and they'll be decent.
That Dark Elf art looked like fucking Aladdin.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Now that I looked for the video again I realize it was for the rpg, Reckoning. Still, same devs who apparently all sat down and approved a trailer of a 'hero' leaving his huge hammer on his back so he could hack, slash and stab skeletons to death not thinking the DnD nerds would be facepalming. But, the average gamer doesn't give a shit, I guess is the point, so why try harder when you can just make things more sparkly or cuter? You'd think a studio would have someone in the room to point out potential negative receptions, though, whether it's skele stabbing or character models that look ripped from Disney's Robin Hood. It's like choosing a baby's name... you have to anticipate the ways kids and/or internet forums will make fun of you if you do something stupid like name your kid Dick Trickle.

Just a link, so people don't get too excited thinking it's relevant:

http://youtu.be/gZ52mwNMJYI

(then of course when a big, fleshy monster arrives, run at it with your hammer)

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Now that I looked for the video again I realize it was for the rpg, Reckoning. Still, same devs who apparently all sat down and approved a trailer of a 'hero' leaving his huge hammer on his back so he could hack, slash and stab skeletons to death not thinking the DnD nerds would be facepalming. But, the average gamer doesn't give a shit, I guess is the point, so why try harder when you can just make things more sparkly or cuter? You'd think a studio would have someone in the room to point out potential negative receptions, though, whether it's skele stabbing or character models that look ripped from Disney's Robin Hood. It's like choosing a baby's name... you have to anticipate the ways kids and/or internet forums will make fun of you if you do something stupid like name your kid Dick Trickle.

Just a link, so people don't get too excited thinking it's relevant:

http://youtu.be/gZ52mwNMJYI
dat 0:55

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
He agrees, that seems to be the point of the post, duh. He's right with it too, tapping late-twenties/early thirties is a good move for a mainstream product.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I don't usually agree with Itzena, but I thought the same fucking thing. Disney has been making a fuckton of movies since the 40s.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol @ the art in that article. A redesign might not look radically different, but that damn sure isn't going to be their direction.
Yep.

The design they have is too cartoony to be able to express any kind of aggression or emotion that matters. It's a cartoon for children. The kids will like it and some stunted adults, but real emotion or drama will be absent.

But at least the artists doing the work are talented, so the look of the game will still be cool in spite of it's cartoon design. There is nothing worse than cartoon art (or any art) done by talentless hacks. Thankfully, Sony learned that lesson. There was a lost decade there where they hired the crappiest artists around.