EQ Never

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ut, why do you exempt fat Smed? To me at least hes was/is partof the boyclub and part of the problem.
Infact i guess as long as hes in charge noone will clean house, ever.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ut, why do you exempt fat Smed? To me at least hes was/is partof the boyclub and part of the problem.
Infact i guess as long as hes in charge noone will clean house, ever.
The guy trusts too much. He needs to quit relying on what others are telling him as information and believing it. One would think this H1Z1 debacle would be the last straw - I mean they knew about the changes months before and never informed the CEO. Smeldey tends to want to speak to the customers so then he does what he does and then the producers get upset with him because he never came to them first, when these entitled brats should be going straight to the CEO knowing he tends to want to post a lot.

Either way, the guy is going to get shit-canned pretty quick if he doesn't clean house, and if I am wrong on what I feel to be an empathy to see the good in people in his employees as those same employees take advantage of that like Georgeson and Butler do on a daily basis; if it comes down to losing his job, he * WILL * get rid of these assholes to save his own neck first. It's probably going to have to come to that though.

SOE is not doing well. If there is any time for action, it's now. Because I guarantee you Georgeson and Butler will ride this train of ineptitude until SOE derails while coasting for their paycheck.

Vitality

HUSTLE
The only thing Smed won't monetize is making a Station account.
To be fair, Smed showed some class with h1z1 cash-shop loot crates by offering refunds for those who didn't like the implementation.

I'm with Ut on this one though, Smed's showing a clear disconnect between him and the people he employs to manage game development.

Georgeson and Butler as Ut said - literally have no idea what they're doing. Georgeson's primary career achievements are salvaging what's left of the original Planetside and Everquest and Creating modular aspects of the browser based Gaia Online.

Georgeson is SOE's undertaker. Which makes me sad because EQ Next doesn't need to die before it's even released.

If SOE's in the realm of copying models that work I highly suggest they google Grinding Gear Games and see how the boys over at Path of Exile are doing gods work.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
To be fair, Smed showed some class with h1z1 cash-shop loot crates by offering refunds for those who didn't like the implementation.

I'm with Ut on this one though, Smed's showing a clear disconnect between him and the people he employs to manage game development.

Georgeson and Butler as Ut said - literally have no idea what they're doing. Georgeson's primary career achievements are salvaging what's left of the original Planetside and Everquest and Creating modular aspects of the browser based Gaia Online.

Georgeson is SOE's undertaker. Which makes me sad because EQ Next doesn't need to die before it's even released.

If SOE's in the realm of copying models that work I highly suggest they google Grinding Gear Games and see how the boys over at Path of Exile are doing gods work.
Georgeson also takes credit for how awesome the EQ2 Velious expansion was. We all know how well that POS turned out. So basically the guy is just flat out delusional.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

But that shows a double sided argument where the developer can never win. Much like in politics where the president can't take credit for any positives but gets blame for all the problems. Ut is constantly harping about changing the old guard and yet you both reference a lack of career achievements based off some standard you have made up on the fly. You can't really trash Georgeson and Butler and lay no blame on the guy that's their boss. Completely ignorant statement in which bias based off him 'being a good fella' suddenly changes what his role in the development of these games is...the guy making the decisions ultimately.

Have thy shown enough? Nope, and no one cares. Maybe that's the true tragedy and why Blizzard ultimately probably made the smartest decision. Stop the new game and continue to dominate what's left of a stagnant market. I'm not really sure there is a much larger potential market than already available and over-saturated with the same stuff over and over.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ponytail is cool enough. I doubt he's the guy pushing shit out the door before it's ready. Buck stops with Smed

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whole thing is funny. Just sit back, if it comes out, try it. If you like it play, it not don't. If it doesn't come out, then w/e.

Think by now people would be used to UT's frothing posts.

Also why on earth would you argue with Elidroth of all people. The guy works for SOE, close to 100% biased as you can get.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Do we have any insight on the relationship between SOE and their parent company based in Japan? On one hand I could lay a lot of blame on Smed, but on the other hand I can see how the relationship with your larger corporate parent that is focused on much bigger markets can make things difficult.

The Japanese pc gaming market is very small, and my armchair analysis of the business culture does not seem to be conducive to SOE's goals (from the Square exec who said something like, "I don't care about the game or what kids want these days, just put the name Final Fantasy on it and sell a bunch of copies." to the Japanese lead dev that played Bioshock 1 for 60 seconds and put the controller down, saying something like, "this game is garbage.")

I'm not trying to make up excuses for SOE, but it's hard for me to imagine a game company being run like this for this long without some sort of reason. Does Smed have to show up each quarter with his balance sheet and P&L statement in order to show profits to avoid cutting in funding?

I don't think Smed is incompetent. I think SOE has a passion to make games. The market is there. Do they interview top talent but Blizzard is paying 20k+ more a year for the same position? Can he not afford to fire some staff because they are too embedded in projects, and getting better talent up to speed will delay things and hurt future budget negotiations? Does someone have blackmail pictures of him?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Georgeson also takes credit for how awesome the EQ2 Velious expansion was. We all know how well that POS turned out. So basically the guy is just flat out delusional.
I'm not giving Scott all the credit but EQ2 was doing very well under him. Actually, a lot of people missed a great game (for what time it was good) and then it just went downhill when Georgeson appeared. EQ2 was wreck and somehow it became a very solid game until the ponytail just crapped on what progress had actually been made. In fairness, there wasn't a lot of long term hope but we'll never know what would have happened if Scott continued at the helm.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not giving Scott all the credit but EQ2 was doing very well under him. Actually, a lot of people missed a great game (for what time it was good) and then it just went downhill when Georgeson appeared. EQ2 was wreck and somehow it became a very solid game until the ponytail just crapped on what progress had actually been made. In fairness, there wasn't a lot of long term hope but we'll never know what would have happened if Scott continued at the helm.
EQ2 wasn't so bad minus the skill bloat. They never really got a handle on that. I really don't want 3 action bars of damage+x on different cooldowns. They had too many ill defined classes -- in skillset, that is.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
EQ2 wasn't so bad minus the skill bloat. They never really got a handle on that. I really don't want 3 action bars of damage+x on different cooldowns. They had too many ill defined classes -- in skillset, that is.
Indeed, if it can't fit on a controller the skill doesn't belong, hell Pong only had one button !!!!

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Indeed, if it can't fit on a controller the skill doesn't belong, hell Pong only had one button !!!!
You obviously are too young to actually remember Pong?

rrr_img_89060.jpg

no buttons...no mercy!!

Elsebet

Peasant
That and combine the good/evil side mirror classes into one class.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Who plays Pong with a joystick? Paddle controllers son!
rrr_img_89444.jpg

After the last Fan Faire and seeing decent things there I had really high hopes for EQNext, but that was quite awhile ago now and I'm kinda shocked that we have not seen more from them...

Either this new company will represent an infusion of cash to get this puppy off the ground finally, or they will just kill it off and use the art assets for a Clash of Clans clone.