EQ Never

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_38724.jpg

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
i kinda like the idea of rally calls. there's a communal feeling. also there will be something new to do every x months or so.

hopefully though, this pve stuff will be a side to the eve-centric/pvp .
My worry with the rallying calls is that they'll just be a standard PQ-style thing but with ridiculous completion goals. ie. stuff like 0/100000 wood collected, 0/50000 orcs slain. We've seen that kind of stuff before and it's just bland (I guess I'm thinking of GW2 events with lots of people, making a bar go up by handing in shit is not rewarding). It's gonna come down to how complex the phase completion checks are, whether they're based on the real state of the world or just some arbitrary counters.

ismaris

Silver Knight of the Realm
Hopefully they have enough sense to mark important POI's as non destructable, but given these are the same idiots that didn't have the foresight to do that with Player Cities and Militia in SWG, I highly doubt it.
Let me say that I think it's awesome SOE is actually attempting to redeem their reputation of stagnation--that's great for gamers and for the industry. That said, I agree with utnayan that this whole fluid world model is incredibly dangerous. What if EQ lacked the multitude of consistent, shared landmarks such as cognoggin and brownie village in lfay, hill giants in karanas, or orc hill in gfay? The shared experiences EQ players had in these spots are precisely what allowed communities and even mythologies to form around that game. We all suffered at the same spots, regardless of server, and that was part of the fun.

I don't think that constructable and destructable landscapes are a dooming factor, but I'm worried the tacit benefits of their predecessor will be overlooked.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Some good concepts EQN would be 100% more appealing if it had darksouls type artwork and animations.

Dark Souls.jpg

Felmega_sl

shitlord
This is the part I'm most sceptical about though. Rift's invasions were hyped in pretty much the same way, and turned out to be pretty tedious most of the time. Then GW2's dynamic stuff was hyped in the same way, and is really just the same. I guess the key is whether or not these AIs are truly autonomous and result in genuinely diverse scenarios, as opposed to being on-rails (like GW2) or inconsequential (like Rift). Also, if every single mob in the game works like the orc described (ie no static spawns), then that would certainly be good.
Im skeptical too. However, a difference is that the EQN invasion sounds like a protrated event, not something that runs once every couple hours. Also, the invasions in Rift were fun. It got old eventually but everything does. Lastly, dont forget that the invading goblin force can actually physically tear down the castle so there is more 'skin in the game' for the players defending it. That changes everything,

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Im skeptical too. However, a difference is that the EQN invasion sounds like a protrated event, not something that runs once every couple hours. Also, the invasions in Rift were fun. It got old eventually but everything does. Lastly, dont forget that the invading goblin force can actually physically tear down the castle so there is more 'skin in the game' for the players defending it. That changes everything,
Depending on why they would want to defend the castle in the first place and whether or not they just respawn in tandem with the generator every 10 minutes.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Ok.. I've digested this long enough so here we go.

First, the major point, I really believe they are striving to achieve what EQ1 with this game. Honestly, I think they are taking the right steps. Judging by what's popular mainstream, this game is a step beyond what those games are doing. You can see the influences and how today's more popular MMO's have pushed them. I'm afraid I feel like an earlier poster in saying that I may be too old for this.. Not because its cartoony or anything but it's just not my cup of tea. I'm not going to count it out just yet but I don't think i'm in their crowd.

My concerns.... I'm having a hard time seeing thousands of people being inside of this game. It seems like such a large scale Diablo-esque game. The movements and abilities remind me of LoL (again a game with just a few people) and then the destructibility/Minecraft world just doesn't seem MMO friendly. What's going to happen when a raid's worth of people obliterate an area? It may be the combat. It may be seeing two people in game. It may be seeing shadows of so many other games.

What I liked... I liked that they tried. I think the WORLD is absolutely stunning. The characters eh.. I can deal. I've always said poor character models can be masked with awesome armor. The opportunity to explore the world may be worth the box price. I did like the rally calls. I hope the playerbase builds entire cities such as Halas, Qeynos, etc. I like that it impacts the world forever. I also appreciate the AI but I have a feeling their AI method may not work once the playerbase is presence on the servers. It sounds like we'll either never see an Orc or it will be a constant sending of legions of orcs. I'll be curious to see their AI method in the live environment.

I'll probably get it just because of it being Everquest but I don't know how long i'll last. I hope i'm pleasantly surprised. I think FFXIV felt like a MMO more so than anything I've played to date and just making an early call to EQNext.

I'll stay tuned and i'm curious. I think they have a ways to go and if my math is correct we are looking at beta Q2 next year with a release Q3/Q4. Landmark comes out probably November with the PS4 and then there will be 6 months of building. Earliest release would be the EQ anniversary in March but I think it will be the beginning of beta.

Tim

Molten Core Raider
Okay, it's early, they've barely made the announcements, and I'm sure many of the core elements are still changing daily. That being said, if not implemented in some kind of unique, logical and fun way, weapon based skills will be the source of this game's failures.

If they copy GW2's version of it, this game will not last very long for your average player. I really can't believe they decided to announce that without going into detail about why it WON'T suck. GW2's weapon/skill system absolutely killed that game for me. I ended up hating weapons without X skill that only weapon Y had, rendering so much upgraded loot useless.

Greatly enhance it and don't make me feel pidgeonholed into using one type of weapon a majority of the time and others for unique situations.Preferably, completely get rid of it.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
tad, one of the things I am most interested in finding out is how the storybricks tech is implemented into EQNext. Hopefully you can give us details on that!
I will have a little something about that tomorrow on eqn junkiesnation. I will also (I think) be able to explain why it wasn't really covered.

On the Beta. Straight from Dave Georgeson's mouth - so you can print this up Draegen hot off the press:

"Marketing is handling the EQN Beta and there will be multiple opportunities and different ways to enter Beta." With respect to SOELive the only cryptic comment was that "There may be some information about that later."

Definitely not a promise for everyone to get it today.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I agree some of it looks very cool, but I'm also curious how much SOE is going to deliver and if what they deliver is even close to what the expectation will be (probably not). All of you have ridden the hype train so many times you've got sores on your ass. I say wait and see. But prepare to be disappointed. Everything else turns out to be an eventual disappointment.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Let me say that I think it's awesome SOE is actually attempting to redeem their reputation of stagnation--that's great for gamers and for the industry. That said, I agree with utnayan that this whole fluid world model is incredibly dangerous. What if EQ lacked the multitude of consistent, shared landmarks such as cognoggin and brownie village in lfay, hill giants in karanas, or orc hill in gfay? The shared experiences EQ players had in these spots are precisely what allowed communities and even mythologies to form around that game. We all suffered at the same spots, regardless of server, and that was part of the fun.

I don't think that constructable and destructable landscapes are a dooming factor, but I'm worried the tacit benefits of their predecessor will be overlooked.
It seems to me that the mythology that would come from destructible towns/keeps that have been saved from invasion and destruction would be much more meaningful. I get what youre saying though and we already know that the Devs will flag certain landmarks as non-destructible.

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
Rift invasions were fun at first agreed, although if I recall they were nerfed around release so that they didn't shut down quest hubs, as the players complained they couldn't "progress" due to their quest givers being dead. If the orcs do actually tear down castles and this has a negative effect on the players, that would be fantastic - but I'd be waiting on the long forum posts from 3-hours-play-a-week-guy complaining they can't play because their quest giver isn't there. I guess it's a tough balancing act between destroying player-utilized areas in a way that actually has meaning, and not making casuals super mad.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Rift invasions were fun at first agreed, although if I recall they were nerfed around release so that they didn't shut down quest hubs, as the players complained they couldn't "progress" due to their quest givers being dead. If the orcs do actually tear down castles and this has a negative effect on the players, that would be fantastic - but I'd be waiting on the long forum posts from 3-hours-play-a-week-guy complaining they can't play because their quest giver isn't there. I guess it's a tough balancing act between destroying player-utilized areas in a way that actually has meaning, and not making casuals super mad.
There are no quest givers or rather the quest giver can be different for every person. Well, depending on how SB gets implemented.

ismaris

Silver Knight of the Realm
It seems to me that the mythology that would come from destructible towns/keeps that have been saved from invasion and destruction would be much more meaningful. I get what youre saying though and we already know that the Devs will flag certain landmarks as non-destructible.
I guess what I'm more speaking to is the value in shared experiences, and the fact that fragmented landscapes will lead to fragmented experiences, along server lines.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Absolutely hate the gw2 class system of switching weapons and getitng different skills. Honestly everything else I can deal with but the class system is REALLY making me worry. Being able to change to whatever takes ALL immersive game play out. Oh today I will be a warrior, now im a wizard, now im a healer? Pls god I hope its not like that.