EQ Never

Itzena_sl

shitlord
They've already looked into it, they've canceled their only MMO in development and in the 5 to 20 years it takes Blizzard to make a game they'll continue to bleed subs. They've capped and no amount of revamps will ever push them over where they are now, and every expansion is more and more uninviting. Expacs are temporary boosts.

Warcraft is a massive franchise, a guaranteed success and they can fuck with the formula dramatically enough to make it appealing to new markets. I'd actually have faith in Blizzard trying something new. Or they could just use the Starcraft franchise.

To think there's no market, you'd have to be fucking dumb but in this case I think that goes without saying.
"Continue to bleed subs" by...holding level at 10 million? Did you miss the Q1 briefing or something?
smile.png

gogojira_sl

shitlord
It's not an argument against them dominating the current market, it's that they've been losing subs over the years which is absolutely the case. It's also a dinosaur on the market that can never reach higher than it did however many years ago.

Maybe they'll never do it based on risk vs. reward, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's an impossibility.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It doesn't take a rumor to know a new expac is in development, lol. And one after it, too.
The rumor isn't that it's in development. The rumors is that it's ready to be shown (as in "here's the trailer with the zones, features and everything").

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I can't believe a company would do it any other way. I day dream about making an mmo when I'm bored at work and that's how I would have built a game. Get a basic zone up and running and then make it fun as hell to play in that zone. Then after that build a world.
I think anyone thats ever even put more than 5 minutes of thought into make their own game would imagine doing it this way. Hell, I thought of doing it this way when I was a teenager playing EverQuest. There has to be a reason, financially or otherwise, that they dont create games this way. Regardless of how sound the idea of doing it this way is.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
"Continue to bleed subs" by...holding level at 10 million? Did you miss the Q1 briefing or something?
smile.png
From the November 10-Q

For the three months ended September 30, 2014, Activision Blizzard had net revenues of $753 million, as compared to net revenues of $691 million for the same period in 2013. For the three months ended September 30, 2014, Activision Blizzard had a loss per diluted share of $(0.03), as compared to earnings per diluted share of $0.05 for the same period in 2013.

For the nine months ended September 30, 2014, Activision Blizzard had net revenues of $2.8 billion, as compared to net revenues of $3.1 billion for the same period in 2013, and earnings per diluted share were $0.64, as compared to earnings per diluted share of $0.73 for the same period in 2013
I'll go with Blizzard would certainly consider a WoW2: generally companies want earnings to be going up, not be going down.

Edit: 10-Q, not 10-K. Mea culpa.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
From the November 10-K

I'll go with Blizzard would certainly consider a WoW2: generally companies want earnings to be going up, not be going down.
Why are you posting irrelevant shit from 2014? Go post the Q1 2015 ones and get back to us.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
League of Legends made a few billion last year. Go look as t world of tanks. There are a shit load of online games out there making bank.

Problem is people make shitty games.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
League of Legends made a few billion last year. Go look as t world of tanks. There are a shit load of online games out there making bank.

Problem is people make shitty games.
Yep. If you want to make WoW type money then competing with them directly with a standard quest / hub mmo is almost a certain failure. Can still make a ton of money though, GW2, FFIV prove that, just not WoW personal atm bucks. It is no coincidence that all of these are quality games.

LoL, and WoT make WoW type money because they own their particular niche, like WoW owns the standard quest mmo niche. For whatever reason, most people gravitate (like herd animals) towards one game in a niche. This happens outside of games also. Facebook dominates their niche, etc.

If the EQNext devs focus on quality then it could be a money maker like GW2, FFIV, etc. Quality doesn't guarantee success but it is a necessary ingredient. Since EQNext will be another quest driven mmo like it's predecessors and WoW, then it will be almost impossible to do better than GW2 or the like. WoW isn't going to lose it's place on top anytime soon.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Pointing at the months after an expansion release and saying all is fine is bold, obviously there'sa spike at that time for both subs and box sales. I'm gonna guess that shareholders would like that more often then once every 20-30 months. Which would be a good thing for MMO gamers too - at least those that like WoW. WoD started out nice but for me at least it turned boring kinda quick, already canceled again in Dec. I wonder if they ever manage those yearly expansions that have been mentioned on and off since 2006.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
There has to be a reason, financially or otherwise, that they dont create games this way.
Production pipelines, mostly.

First, your artist teams aren't going to switch over to doing game design. If they're good artists, they're probably not-so-good designers, and vice-versa. So, once your artists have made their first pass of a zone, they start on the second, then the third, then...

Second, unless you're breaking ground with new tools and new engines, you have a very good idea of how much work goes into each zone. You already know how many you'll need, and so you can quickly staff your 3D artist teams up to what's needed. 3D artists is one of the few areas in the game industry where the man-month concept almost works "as expected", and where most recruits (if they're not fresh interns) are going to be productive almost immediately. Whereas your programmers and designers are going to take slightly more time to get up to speed when they join.

Third... well, you don't need much to showcase a zone or area. As usual, 80% of the time is spend doing the last 20% of the zone, so you can show zones quickly. The zone looks good, but you didn't notice it's missing half of its props. Meanwhile, you're not going to show gameplay until it's ready and polished enough.