EQ Never

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I wouldn't be surprised if they went back to one of the earlier builds they scraped to get something out the door. That was what most wanted anyways. I never was a fan of voxels. Storybricks would have been cool but oh well.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Landmark was a bad idea with horrible implementation, not sure how anyone could argue otherwise. Fuckers wanted Minecraft success but made building anything infinitely harder, terrible hardware requirements, and tiny playing space with a toolset that hated the player. Minecraft killed it because of its simplicity and it's ability to run on fucking anything.
Nah, it was not a bad idea trying to turn Minecraft into an MMO. The sheer number of MC servers out there proves that people would have played if the could have captured the essence. You are totally right on everything else though. Their implementation was an abject failure that proved they had no idea what really made MC so good.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
When the population started to drop, and it was clear the team was "moving" , I am not sure why they did not change to unlimited mats for the people left.

I am no super artist, but the idea of harvesting all the mats needed when testing that procedure had no relevance kept me from logging back in.
This was why I left, I don't have time anymore to farm wood for 24hrs a day. Just let me build shit.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Nah, it was not a bad idea trying to turn Minecraft into an MMO. The sheer number of MC servers out there proves that people would have played if the could have captured the essence. You are totally right on everything else though. Their implementation was an abject failure that proved they had no idea what really made MC so good.
Maybe someone could succeed with a Minecraft MMO, but what I'm getting at is that SOE couldn't comprehend why Minecraft is successful and Landmark was a disaster from the outset.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Maybe someone could succeed with a Minecraft MMO, but what I'm getting at is that SOE couldn't comprehend why Minecraft is successful and Landmark was a disaster from the outset.
They just had shit management. They should have had a solid plan for the next game 2-3 years down the road from EQ 2 especially since WoW won that round early and easily. 3,4,5,etc restarts later and they want to "let the players" help build the game? That's the first sign you don't have a clue what's going on. Then you play the same stupid shit as EQ 2 and make it difficult and hard for players to get involved with Landmark? Make building harder to accomplish and a pain to work with? Like ability bloat, poor implementation and the stupid exp penalties of early EQ 2? Seriously? Completely clueless even beyond the point of Curt-tard. He never put this type of endeavor together before. You have several games worth of experience and still dont get it.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I'm still not convinced that Landmark was a terrible idea. I mean sure, adding all the weird MMO elements to it was probably a bad call. That decision was probably made to keep people playing the game for as long as possible.

Even if Landmark only has 50 people producing usable content, what does that translate into in artist salary dollars? 50 artists x $90,000/year x 4 years = $18,000,000. Add in those 40,000 sold Trailblazer packs at $100 a pop and you're starting to talk about $22,000,000. That's roughly a third of the total development costs of DCUO, Defiance, or Rift.

We all know SOE was in trouble financially. Perhaps this was the only way EQN got made at all. Maybe it didn't work out as well as they were hoping, but I don't think it's the catastrophe people are saying it is.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Landmark is the unpaid internship at daybreak for graphic designers mmo.

As long as you don't intend to make a profit off people playing the game but instead view them as free labor landmark works fine.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'm still not convinced that Landmark was a terrible idea.I mean sure, adding all the weird MMO elements to it was probably a bad call. That decision was probably made to keep people playing the game for as long as possible.
This is basically what I'm saying. I don't think the world needs a Minecraft MMO as much as people think, and if they hadn't been so fucking stuck on making Landmark an "MMO" it would have been a lot more successful. Should have sold it as a single player or small scale multiplayer experience, give people absolute control over an island and let them go nuts. Creative people need space and at launch Landmark build space was pathetic because they had to make room for every player that would abandon them in a month.

They got greedy though and wanted something to sell, something to playtest for EQN, something to help create EQN, and something to get people spending money on over a long time.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This whole thing is just a repeat of Vanguard. EQ Landmark had such shitty problems with the engine that it would just bog your top end system down. Rendering not only everything you see, but also the shit you dont see. Like the doodads within the buildings. The cave system beneath you etc. Shitty management, which we've been saying that about Ponytail for fucking ever now. I just fail to see how people with this type of money continuously put such fuck ups in a position to blow it so hard.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Not trying to imply something good comes out of EQN at this point, but most of the perceived shitshow leaders are gone. I doubt the small team can mold whatever the fuck EQN is into anything good, but it'll be interesting to see what happens on its 15th reveal. I think it's funny that the diehard Landmark people were and still are hopelessly in love with ponytail because he filled their heads with a bunch of fluff bullshit EQN was never going to pull off. I fucking hated EQ under him.

Also, I guess they finally moved into their new office.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRaB-4KUYAALHtY.jpg

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I won't go so far as to predict this happening for the EQN team, but throughout my life I've witnessed first hand the miracles an empowered, passionate underdog can perform. It's possible that getting rid of the toxic management will be enough to get something scrappy and enjoyable out the door.

...emphasis on possible.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There is already one and looks greatWelcome To Mythros...

In regards to Dave Georgeson some of the comments were a bit unfair and very personal. It was clear from early on he was not the person for that role and it was Smed's ultimate failure not to remove him.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I saw some past posts in this thread from 2013/14 i think referencing EQ Next having some elements like Second Life - the creation and such. Will they allow content to be owned by creator and then sold in EQN? And if so, is there a reference out there on how all this works or is it still too early to tell? Or is it designed to be some kind of just fun interesting system for casual people to occasionally fiddle with?

Or.......... is this all just a myth and this thing is going to be a fucking unmitigated disaster as usual?

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Oh I didn't know, I'm not keeping up with it, I just recall the references to SL and wondering how they were doing it here. Sounds like its just not worth it. That's all I needed to know
smile.png