EQ Never

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Is there even anyone left that has any passion for EQ? I'm curious if there's anyone sitting around the table that is a pushing force (assuming they're even still working on the game) that is driving the team because they want to see the game released. At one time, I really thought Holly would be that person. By all appearances, at least in my opinion, she is that type and loves the brand but is in way over her heard. I think she is barely keeping her head above water. I may be reading it wrong and i'm not saying she's done anything horribly wrong or disappointing but i'm curious how she or some of the staff feels about where they are as a company.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Holly is pretty into EQ2, but she doesn't seem to even have a whole lot of passion for EQ1. dunno how much she's into EQ as a franchise. seems not a whole lot really.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like the Minecraft/Storybrick/Modular/Sandbox theme going on. They can save some time by setting the story as the Norath gods creating a new world. Basic elements and AI. Gets more complex as things are expanded. Permanent but evolving world.

The basics are good enough.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is there even anyone left that has any passion for EQ? I'm curious if there's anyone sitting around the table that is a pushing force (assuming they're even still working on the game) that is driving the team because they want to see the game released. At one time, I really thought Holly would be that person. By all appearances, at least in my opinion, she is that type and loves the brand but is in way over her heard. I think she is barely keeping her head above water. I may be reading it wrong and i'm not saying she's done anything horribly wrong or disappointing but i'm curious how she or some of the staff feels about where they are as a company.
I can't speak on devs side, but on customer side, I don't really give a fuck anymore. Sure I'd like to travel in Norrath Reborn, for nostalgia and curiosity, with decent graphics and animations, but if we talk about franchise loyalty/love or similar things, I think I'm a lot more in love with Azeroth than with Norrath, despite being a vanilla EQ player who left during the terrible Gate of Discord expansion and having played extensively EQ2 as well, until Kunark.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I lost all interest in this game years ago when we got the video with the hideously stylized graphics and the news that there would be no levels (ok, horizontal leveling. whatever) and interchangeable classes. Unless they're completely rebooting the game for the third (fourth?) time, not interested.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
1st try....
rrr_img_122146.jpg

2nd try...
rrr_img_122147.jpg

3rd or 4th try...
rrr_img_122148.jpg

Who knows.... looks like they kept the shoulder pads similar between the first two attempts.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I dunno. I was at the SOE Live when they announced it, and all I can remember thinking is that this stuff will never work, and their timetable isn't remotely realistic. If you want to allow players to actually impact the world, you're just going to end up with a world that is completely fucked up because trolls will just destroy everything.

Plus the reason shit like Minecraft works is because players can have their own servers, with fully functioning mods that allow you to do damn near anything. I've been watching a friend play Ragecraft and Minecraft Bingo with others, and both of those seem cool and interesting. I would never be the type to sit around build shit in the game though, which is basically what they wanted this whole thing to be. You're talking about an mmo without any real standard pve stuff. I dunno, it just never felt realistic

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
At least H1Z1 seems to be doing quite good - over 30 million $ revenue in 2015 on steam:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-few-surprises

And thats just the game, no microtransactions ?

Plenty of money to fund all EQ games from them at least for 2015...
i fucking love h1z1. Just put in 2200 hours now. Im addicted. The new anticheat seems to cleaned up 90 percent of the cheaters in survival. That was a HUGE HUGE issue, but Battleye is pretty beastly. Not saying they cant hack. its just the copy and paste folks cant do it.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I dunno. I was at the SOE Live when they announced it, and all I can remember thinking is that this stuff will never work, and their timetable isn't remotely realistic. If you want to allow players to actually impact the world, you're just going to end up with a world that is completely fucked up because trolls will just destroy everything.

Plus the reason shit like Minecraft works is because players can have their own servers, with fully functioning mods that allow you to do damn near anything. I've been watching a friend play Ragecraft and Minecraft Bingo with others, and both of those seem cool and interesting. I would never be the type to sit around build shit in the game though, which is basically what they wanted this whole thing to be. You're talking about an mmo without any real standard pve stuff. I dunno, it just never felt realistic
That's actually been my primary argument about their terrain modification stuff. Either you have dicks everywhere, with giant craters in between, or you can't actually modify anything and it feels sterile. Like, why even have the option? Always just felt like a complete no-brainer on how the playerbase would handle any sort of visible constructive/destructive freedom as a group. Personal instanced plots or something, sure! Modify away. But you don't hand the reigns to the world to your average 13yr old online player. COD type commentary but in visual form.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Bald guy + Early FP and Faydark shouts were the best of times. Those FP and Faydark shots still piss me off because of how much better they look than current EQN/Landmark/Whatever.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Those FP and Faydark shots still piss me off because of how much better they look than current EQN/Landmark/Whatever.
But you are no longer their target audience. Market Research (or what passed for that at SOE) most likely told them that not enough players gave a fuck about their oh-so-coveted "EverQuest" brand anymore. Except for a few hardcore fans that would ramble on about lore, gameplay, forced grouping and meditating for 30m while looking in a stupid spellbook in the snow without shoes, uphill both ways. Because nothing builds a stronger community as a shared passionate hate for stupid grind, idiotic timesinks and crazy mechanics. It wasn't PvE or PvP, it was "Players vs. Developers".

Since Minecraft was hugely popular with kids at the time they tried that route. And because everyone was screaming "omg give us the editor so we can at least build stuff until you make the game" they tried to monetize the shit out of the voxel editor as Landmark, which in turn disillusioned their new target audience pretty much.

At the end of the day the FP and Faydark shots mean absolutely nothing. They can claim "in-game" all they want, but look at the EQ2 promo video that was shown before launch: It was almost if they had outsourced that thing for a dog and pony show and tried to emulate some of its art style in-house, but ultimately failed.