EQ Never

Quaid

Trump's Staff
One thing that is resonating with me is the fact that the new features that SOE has described for EQN are all the ones I was disappointed that I couldn't do the first time I logged into EQ as an MMORPG virgin.

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm fairly sure if anyone had said SWTOR would lost 75% range of subs within six months and be charging for hotbars and F2P in less than a year they would have been screamed down as insane and haters prior to SWTOR launch.
I would say that the MMO that does NOT lose 75% of the subs within 6 months is the exception these days. Too many too similar MMOs. I think this quote sums up the last few years in the MMO industry: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I expect this to do better only because of the minecraft crowd and side of the game.
Even as someone who has only played Minecraft for a about one hour in total I think Landmark sounds a lot more interesting than most recent MMOs.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
The latest roundtable is at least a little interesting, asking how much an effect night should have (largely in a mob population Kithicor-sort-of-way). Shockingly, even Butler's in favor of it having an effect; I went into that link expecting to see yet another "denial of service" out of him.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh gosh... Let's at least try to be objective here. Unless they massively shit the bed EQN is going to be absurdly successful.
Very possible. Could also just end up average, not failing, but not with the numbers they wanted or what people consider "Success" these days.

If anything I'd say landmark has a much better chance at succeeding then EQ:N does.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
Very possible. Could also just end up average, not failing, but not with the numbers they wanted or what people consider "Success" these days.

If anything I'd say landmark has a much better chance at succeeding then EQ:N does.
As far as how sure of a bet it is that they won't fuck up, Landmark certainly looks like it has a better chance of succeeding. EQN could be very popular, though it's all down to execution on their ideas (and whether or not they can actually provide what they'vesaidthey can).

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As far as how sure of a bet it is that they won't fuck up, Landmark certainly looks like it has a better chance of succeeding. EQN could be very popular, though it's all down to execution on their ideas (and whether or not they can actually provide what they'vesaidthey can).
Pretty much, its all smoke and PR talk atm, not helped by their reputation. We will see in the future.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Pretty much, its all smoke and PR talk atm, not helped by their reputation. We will see in the future.
That's all I'm saying... If they can pull off all they have been talking about in a well executed way this game is gonna redistribute vast numbers of the gaming population across several genres. For how long is another matter entirely.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
True, but you could say that about every game when its in this stage of development ;P
Had access to SWTOR in 2009 and it was already an turd with no hope of rescuing. Destiny was killed by Blizzard because it was not fun. Not 100% accurate but you can estimate if it's going to be mass audience (Warcraft, LoL) or not (TSW)

Bruman

Golden Squire
I think the extra hype they're going to get from VOXEL MINECRAFT MMO will quickly die down when everything reverts back 5 minutes later. That's the exact opposite of what makes Minecraft appealing.

I think EQNL could be pretty damn fun for a while though.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They need to be successful with EQL. That will go a long way in the overall success of EQN. EQL should grab people that probably never even played WoW let alone EQ. If they have a good experience with EQL there is a good chance they might give EQN a go.

Also, there is the LoL crowd. I personally know a few people who played that game for a few years and never touched a MMO. Once SoE defines the direction of EQN they could possibly tap into that group. We will have to see about the PvP tho.

Couloir_sl

shitlord
Things are progressing steadily here in Voxel training camp. Fortress designs continue to get sharper and more elaborate. Looking forward to getting my hands on some more intelligent tools to work with. Some of the functionality that Cepero has demonstrated so far looks really nice. Hook me up with that shit Sony.

The visual style in Cepero's videos seem to appeal to me much more than the screens that Sony has revealed so far, but whatevs I guess. Do your thing, Art Director.

I suspect thata lotof people are going to like this game.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
In a recent podcast georgeson and some other dude are talking about combat in EQNL and they seem to have different ideas of what that will look like. The other dude said something about multiple classes but not the full 40 classes of EQN and georgeson's like "well there will be multiple weapons and you can play ranged or melee but it's there's no class system per se."

I guess EQNL is as much of a napkin design as EQN...

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
In a recent podcast georgeson and some other dude are talking about combat in EQNL and they seem to have different ideas of what that will look like. The other dude said something about multiple classes but not the full 40 classes of EQN and georgeson's like "well there will be multiple weapons and you can play ranged or melee but it's there's no class system per se."

I guess EQNL is as much of a napkin design as EQN...
So, one person says "multiple classes" in the sense that you can play in different ways, and Georgeson says you can play in different ways.

Basically, all Georgeson denied is that there won't be class labels.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Pretty hard to make something fierce and feral looking when their stated design goals are to make huge, expressive faces that can be seen from very far away (big eyes, exaggerated mouth and eyebrow movements, etc). There's an approximately 0% chance that the "revisit" is going to resemble the cat in the picture in the linked article.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Its SoE mind you, so quite certain its just them adding funny hats to the model they can later sell for big Sony cash in the shop.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Yeah, they can't change it too much without making it stand out from the other character models. I just hope they don't make it look more like the EQ2 kerran. Now that was an abomination.