EQ Never

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Why in gods name would they put money into remaking 1999's EQ1? What market would they be trying to attract? Bored people at their cubicle on Kongregate.com?
Its bad enough Ive resorted to playing games on my phone when Im sitting in the Car. Dont you take away my P99 EQ lobby system the few times Im at my desk for the day. :p

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I don't think anyone knows what "a game like EQ" even means anymore. Some people assume it's people begging for a 1:1 port and maybe there's a vocal minority that actually do want that. That's not really what I mean when I say I want an old school MMO. What a fucking tired argument though.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Why in gods name would they put money into remaking 1999's EQ1? What market would they be trying to attract? Bored people at their cubicle on Kongregate.com?
Why? Because it would be the first MMO since vanilla WoW that didn't fucking suck, that's why.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Why? Because it would be the first MMO since vanilla WoW that didn't fucking suck, that's why.
There are quite a few "IDLE" category games on any of the flash games sites that basically replicate the EQ experience out there if that's what you're looking for.

Tol_sl

shitlord
There are quite a few "IDLE" category games on any of the flash games sites that basically replicate the EQ experience out there if that's what you're looking for.
Set your desktop background to a spellbook image and pretend you're a low level wizard.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
That's not at all what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is a game that is in the spirit of the original EQ; with death penalties, meaningful loot, non instanced dungeons, and no hard factions.

Bruman

Golden Squire
That's not at all what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is a game that is in the spirit of the original EQ; with death penalties, meaningful loot, non instanced dungeons, and no hard factions.
There are games out there with various EQ-like aspects to them, but they're not from a AAA studio and your friends aren't going to be playing them. They're going to be buggier, graphically worse, and much smaller communities. Hell - Vanguard obviously hit a lot of those buttons, but lost so much funding early on that it stayed a buggy POS, even though the design was pretty great (all things considered).

MMORPGs are too fucking expensive to do right and have the polish people take for granted to cater to the niche "we want EQ1 reskinned" crowd.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Lol! Thanks, Abe!
smile.png

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
People think that naming the game Everquest means it's taking the mechanics of Everquest and that's wrong. They are taking parts of the Lore and history of EQ.
This. Except they're not really using the lore or history either. But hey, its got heroic movement, so yeah.

Adinirahc

Trakanon Raider
I want to like EQ Next... Unfortunately, I think no leveling and multi-classing are deal killers for me. Just can't get my head around either of those things in an Everquest MMO.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I want to like EQ Next... Unfortunately, I think no leveling and multi-classing are deal killers for me. Just can't get my head around either of those things in an Everquest MMO.
I don't have a problem with the idea of it, especially since I am so over the old model. Been doing the mmo tours recently and just can't get into it. Almost every mmo, new or old, follows the old standard that EQ started, and it bores me to tears.

Downloaded the Archage beta recently and was sooooooo fucking bored. It might be a good game, but it just felt like all the others and I'm sick and tired of it. If first impressions matter then Archage is doomed to mediocrity.

I give props to Sony/Smedley for trying something new, just not sure if their management (Smedley I'm talking about YOU), really has the balls to let their talent run with it. EQ worked because they didn't expect or need anything monumental from Brad, etc, so left them alone. In this day and age of huge expectations, I have a hard time believing that Smedley has the balls or foresight to keep his bureaucratic dick out of it. And even if he did, the talent running the show is subpar.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That chick that's lead for Everquest Landmark made me very skeptical of the whole project. She refused to let players create smoke anywhere they wanted. So players were taking a campfire and shrinking it down and then disguising the campfire base. She finally gave in and put on an act that she was excited about it, but you could tell that she was mad that she was finally over ruled so players didn't have to hide a base anymore. That type of stubbornness on something so small and mundane displays a mountain of possible problems from just her, alone. I want the Next to succeed, but under leadership like that??...

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I don't have a problem with the idea of it, especially since I am so over the old model. Been doing the mmo tours recently and just can't get into it. Almost every mmo, new or old, follows the old standard that EQ started, and it bores me to tears.

Downloaded the Archage beta recently and was sooooooo fucking bored. It might be a good game, but it just felt like all the others and I'm sick and tired of it. If first impressions matter then Archage is doomed to mediocrity.

I give props to Sony/Smedley for trying something new, just not sure if their management (Smedley I'm talking about YOU), really has the balls to let their talent run with it. EQ worked because they didn't expect or need anything monumental from Brad, etc, so left them alone. In this day and age of huge expectations, I have a hard time believing that Smedley has the balls or foresight to keep his bureaucratic dick out of it. And even if he did, the talent running the show is subpar.
Except that leveling still exists in EQN, it's just disguised differently. You still have to raise your skills (levels) in order to open up other abilities. It's the same car, it just has another paint job.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Except that leveling still exists in EQN, it's just disguised differently. You still have to raise your skills (levels) in order to open up other abilities. It's the same car, it just has another paint job.
Partially true but simplified a whole lot. All games up to now had various ways to level but that was the end goal. You did what you needed to get to the end game for raiding most of the time. With leveling removed, we don't know how they will show progress. You maybe can cook, or explore which not only should help you gain skills you want but will probably be pushed. You don't have that one driving force that pushes you past content and possibly leaves friends behind or slows you down. Now, your friend should be able to group with you at any point. You can probably expand your skill selection how you want. You raid with everyone in gigantic rallying calls or just do your own thing. At least that's how they have been describing it and I'm glad the Gerbil Wheel isn't being used. I'm pretty tired of the camping, questing, etc grind to get to the game part.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
That chick that's lead for Everquest Landmark made me very skeptical of the whole project. She refused to let players create smoke anywhere they wanted. So players were taking a campfire and shrinking it down and then disguising the campfire base. She finally gave in and put on an act that she was excited about it, but you could tell that she was mad that she was finally over ruled so players didn't have to hide a base anymore. That type of stubbornness on something so small and mundane displays a mountain of possible problems from just her, alone. I want the Next to succeed, but under leadership like that??...
That kind of dev close-mindedness is as old as the genre, but hearing about it in what's purported to be a ground-breaking (terrible pun intended) open ended sandbox game is surprising. I can't expect that they're going to embrace and fall in love with every single emergent player-created workaround like that, but her having an actual issue with fixing something that trivial does seem like like it could be a bad omen.