EQ - The Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

^@ViViD_sl

shitlord
I think I'm gonna give this place a go after all, just to see how it evolves.

Kegz, do you guys have a git repository or something where people can submit code? I threw together a few patches back when I was running a server that haven't made it into EQemu, and I wouldn't mind seeing them put to good use.
appreciate you giving it a shoot and also looking back and editing previous negative posts once you obtained knowledge regarding the truth and information about the Sleeper server differences not only in classic format but in customer service and a equal level playing experience with no favoritism. I also apologies for maybe being short with you or came across rude. I look forward to seeing you in game : )

i still dont fully understand what the p99 dll does. can someone give me a worse case scenario of what they could do with the dll on my main comp if they wanted to be malicious? get bank passwords? steal pics? someone please enlighten me :/

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I would also like to know more about these files as well as their names and locations. I played on p99 on and off for a couple of years and avoided the forums mostly because the battles fought there we not at all reflective of my gaming experience on that server aside from the permanent camping of certain mobs and dragons. As I started playing EQ originally during mid Kunark p99 gave me the chance to experience the games release content as I was never able to before and I had a great time doing so, for that at least I am grateful to their team and efforts.

i still dont fully understand what the p99 dll does. can someone give me a worse case scenario of what they could do with the dll on my main comp if they wanted to be malicious? get bank passwords? steal pics? someone please enlighten me :/
i seriously wanna know. somoene explain plz.

Aliana_sl

shitlord
The .dll had an escalation code written in it. Once given the rights to access a certain control or command promt, it could then escalate the access all the way to your windows registry, where - if they knew how - whomever could have full admin rights to your entire machine. Which is also why the file (and the following ones) was flagged by Norton as a virus.
I'm not claiming there was any malicious intent and maybe they only wanted to view your tasks, but holy hell what a way to do it.confused.png

ya thats kinda worrying. i bank online and im sure ive done it while p99 in the background. hmmm not paranoid but thats kinda troubling.

Aliana_sl

shitlord
ya thats kinda worrying. i bank online and im sure ive done it while p99 in the background. hmmm not paranoid but thats kinda troubling.
Tell me about it. Not just banking, but access to your registry...
I had played religiously since a week after their launch and have never logged in since the day I saw that code. No thank you.
/sigh
Oh well, on to the next game.

Jhoanna_sl

shitlord
That's exactly what happened with me. I played every day for hours, and then they banned my guild leader out of spite and tried to get me to download essentially a virus. All of my friends stopped playing after that patch. I removed P99 from my computer that day and have not been back since.

It was at that point that I realized that the P99 devs are sick. They aren't having fun; they aren't helping people. They are obsessed with their own nostalgic kingdom of whiners and can't play nice with anyone else. I'm over it. I power leveled a newbie today on The Sleeper and had tons of fun.

Aliana_sl

shitlord
It was at that point that I realized that the P99 devs are sick. They aren't having fun; they aren't helping people. They are obsessed with their own nostalgic kingdom of whiners and can't play nice with anyone else.
Well I wouldn't say that. I would say that money drives a lot of people, and can blind the otherwise intelligent. I'm not up to date on the going rates, windows keys and infected/back-doored computers can fetch a hefty price. Implementing that file was probably one of the least intelligent things their developers have ever done.

But unles you're Jules Verne - there's no going back in time.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
The .dll had an escalation code written in it. Once given the rights to access a certain control or command promt, it could then escalate the access all the way to your windows registry, where - if they knew how - whomever could have full admin rights to your entire machine. Which is also why the file (and the following ones) was flagged by Norton as a virus.
Unfortunately, it doesn't need access to any command prompts or controls to do damage. IIRC, it has a few routines in it that allow it to do the following:

1. See the processes in the process list that could be seen by the user loading the DLL. If you aren't running EQ as an administrator, that's only yours. This is how they check if any MQ2/SEQ processes were present when you run EQ and connect to P99.

2. Access any file available to the user loading the DLL. If you aren't running EQ as an administrator, that doesn't include the system registry. If you are... it could. This is what they use to check your hard drive for MQ2/SEQ/whatever in obvious places.

Norton, and other antivirus programs, flag the file as suspicious because it contains subroutines that match against potential virus activity. To any heuristics, this file would look suspicious, because... it IS suspicious. The fact that it could be used to hook into anything that's running while you play P99 should be a cause for concern. This is part reasonable security and part tin foil hat.

I mean, yes, it could theoretically wait for you to escalate a process as an administrator and use that process to Do Stuff, but under normal circumstances it will still have access to most of your system without any escalation.

Kegz_sl

shitlord
The devs want your logs, /log when in game then browse to your eq folder after you finish playing and post your logs, info and directions will be on the forums so start collecting. We would like to see a variety of different classes and armor wearers stats for damage parsing purposes to determine any fine tuning to the AC/Damage reduction code.

Glad to see so many of you on tonight keep the bugs flowing in, make sure you try to re-create them so you can be accurate in your reports.

^@ViViD_sl

shitlord
Basically the DLL enables P99 to enter through your registry. Your registry is your windows esscential files / temps / everything. In Lamens terms it's basically VNC / remote viewer/editor for a "hacker" or computer savy person the ability to add/remove/delete software, programs or injection(key loggers ETC list is endless). This was also implemented without user agreement another breach in law.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Basically the DLL enables P99 to enter through your registry. Your registry is your windows esscential files / temps / everything. In Lamens terms it's basically VNC / remote viewer/editor for a "hacker" or computer savy person the ability to add/remove/delete software, programs or injection(key loggers ETC list is endless). This was also implemented without user agreement another breach in law.
In layman's terms, you are mostly wrong. Fearmongering is bad.

Also, haven't we rehashed this to death? As long as The Sleeper doesn't use this kind of nonsense, life is good, right?

^@ViViD_sl

shitlord
In layman's terms, you are mostly wrong. Fearmongering is bad.

Also, haven't we rehashed this to death? As long as The Sleeper doesn't use this kind of nonsense, life is good, right?
They do, as soon as I started posting negatively, various attacks began on me and they tried getting on my network and did successfully get paypal info which has 0 dollars so they decided to change the social to ending last 4 1180 as rest were stars thought id let you know if any of your socials end in 1180. Paypal laugh and said as soon as they got in all your funds were routed to your bank account immediately because it triggered a fail safe / detection. this isnt the only attack there has been several. It's happen 3 times now and only when I post negatively about P99. Their moral compass is so screwed up its not even funny. Well see what comes of there small claims sony has at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.