EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
How are rogues in later expansions? I'm considering spinning one up because of how cheap they are to gear, but I've heard they're pretty much one of the worst DPS classes? They're literally the only class in EQ I've never played.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
How are rogues in later expansions? I'm considering spinning one up because of how cheap they are to gear, but I've heard they're pretty much one of the worst DPS classes? They're literally the only class in EQ I've never played.
I feel like they're fine PoP and onward. I don't think they're ever really #1 dps though

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I feel like they're fine PoP and onward. I don't think they're ever really #1 dps though
I'm fine getting outclassed by rangers and monks, since those classes are a lot more involved in terms of their mechanics. Rogue is basically just autoattack and backstab. I just don't want to bother if it's a "lol the mage pet is ourparsing you" scenario.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I thought I did pretty good in a group as a Rogue. But there's a perception of crappiness. I blame Bobbybick Bobbybick for spreading these lies.

When I got to 36 groups just completely dried up. I sat lfg over multiple sessions 12+ hours without even a bad tell. I expected at least 1 or 2 "Oh sorry thought you were a cleric" or something, but nope nada.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
I genuinely dont think rogues are nearly as bad as people put them out to be.
In the initial week when nobody outside of mages do dps? sure but once kunark hits and they start double backstabbing and getting decent gear they're quite good

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I took over a friend’s rogue when 60 was cap in Velious and it seems like I remember back then, mind you this was almost 20 years ago, with primal weaps and epic and above average gear I was usually number one damage in groups. I seem to remember especially if you were killing mobs that could be assassinated (humanoids?) you could really wreck some XP spots.

If they’re so far behind these days though I’d say why play one when other classes are ostensibly more fun. If they’re not consistently high damage then what are you bringing to the table, corpse pulling?

note: perspective of someone who just started playing again on this TLP for the first time in like 12 years and never played past PoP.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I usually choose something I've never done each new TLP. I am down to rogue, monk, warrior, shaman maybe? I monked on a tlp but ended up quitting a week in or something, forget which one that was.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
That son of a bitch caused my group to break last night.

We didn't have a dot class of our own so two necros were enough to "win" the dps race. So we just stopped pulling in hopes he'd fuck off. So he starts to aggro mobs and FD on our tank. Our bard said he had that recorded and petitioned him before we picked out. No one wanted to try and get a new camp so we called it a night.

Dots front loading their entire damage for a dps race is some bullshit when the fight only lasts 30 seconds. But it does explain the amount of necro duos and trios I've seen around.
He was a necro rep we used Saturday night and he eventually agro'd another camp while backtracking and gave us all an excuse to sleep. He did buy the coffins for 3 people, but we know who he is now.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
In the initial week when nobody outside of mages do dps? sure but once kunark hits and they start double backstabbing and getting decent gear they're quite good

Gear is the key. Having full hate gear and 13 damage weapons out of the box, focus on HP items and you might be surprised that you mitigate damage better than rangers. Awesome utility weapons now too; Slow, Snare, Tash etc. from weapon procs so it just depends how involved you want to be in playing.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, my reasons for considering rolling one are two-fold.

1. I like playing classes/races I've never played on each TLP.

2. I dual box and it's helpful to have at least 1 "lazy" class as my box so that I can do most of the work on the main box. Rogue gameplay seems probably about the laziest with the lowest expectations in terms of pulling, buffing, etc. I thought about ranger since I only ever played one to level 19 back in the day, but they often come with tanking and/or pulling expectations, so those are out as a boxed char.

What's a good class to pair a rogue with? I typically duo while I look for a group or form one of my own. I was thinking paladin or druid? Maybe even a ranger?

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, my reasons for considering rolling one are two-fold.

1. I like playing classes/races I've never played on each TLP.

2. I dual box and it's helpful to have at least 1 "lazy" class as my box so that I can do most of the work on the main box. Rogue gameplay seems probably about the laziest with the lowest expectations in terms of pulling, buffing, etc. I thought about ranger since I only ever played one to level 19 back in the day, but they often come with tanking and/or pulling expectations, so those are out as a boxed char.

What's a good class to pair a rogue with? I typically duo while I look for a group or form one of my own. I was thinking paladin or druid? Maybe even a ranger?
If you plan on raiding I would say Bard. Even in small groups it will give you a lot of utility to bring to the table. Rangers use the same chain you would; I would avoid that where possible.

• 2Like

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
That son of a bitch caused my group to break last night.

We didn't have a dot class of our own so two necros were enough to "win" the dps race. So we just stopped pulling in hopes he'd fuck off. So he starts to aggro mobs and FD on our tank. Our bard said he had that recorded and petitioned him before we picked out. No one wanted to try and get a new camp so we called it a night.

Dots front loading their entire damage for a dps race is some bullshit when the fight only lasts 30 seconds. But it does explain the amount of necro duos and trios I've seen around.
Gotta be a shit bird, it's the new P99 meta.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Rogues get a really bad rap on TLPs. Rogues are A+ or S tier sustained DPS class in every expansion besides Classic. They never really do well on the burst parse, but on the sustained parse they're the most consistently good DPS class for the first 10+ expansions.

The reasons not to play rogues are
1. You can't do jack shit by yourself
2. Finding groups can be hard because people have this false notion of Rogues being weak.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Rogues are good I don't care what anyway says. They may not be top tier dps in all situations, but I find a lot of rogues have this "out to prove the world wrong" attitude and are 100% on their game. They are very competitive DPS and usually #1 for overall raid damage output with trash clearing.

Can't do shit solo though.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its not that rogues are bad, they can be good in right situations. Its just other classes are better.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I've looted a total of 1 fungi tunic and 1 fungus staff since wed.

I was swimming in both and selling them in droves on Agarr at this point.

I saw people selling the staff for 2-3kr and tunics for 3-4kr on Mischief. On Agnarr I was getting 10-14kr per staff the first week and 8-10kr per tunic.

I'm really enjoying how Mischief is playing out. It's great to find a nice out of the way place to grind at my own pace and get rewarded with all kinds of random drops.
My first time hearing about this guy was today when someone sent me this:
031CEBF2-1E7E-4996-BA76-1AED00FB3A4F.png

No idea what he is talking about.

• 3Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
If you plan on raiding I would say Bard. Even in small groups it will give you a lot of utility to bring to the table. Rangers use the same chain you would; I would avoid that where possible.
Great call, I didn't even think of that. Restoration song helps with healing and shit too. Haste, slow, charm, etc. That's probably exactly what I'll roll.
Its not that rogues are bad, they can be good in right situations. Its just other classes are better.
And I'm fine with other classes being slightly higher DPS, especially since a rogue doesn't seem to require much input (which is ideal for my setup). They just always seemed to get a bad wrap and I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get destroyed by a mage pet.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I never spoke to the guy at all.

I had announced I was moving to an open herbalist camp in the main pick and he ran over to contest.

I never said a word as he spammed me and tried to ks for hours. =)

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
Lol at the rogues are usually hard working people right after people that love rogues talk about they enjoy it because they have no responsibility except stand there and stab mobs from the back while pressing 1 button.

People play rogues over monks because... i have no clue. They are afraid to tell their guild or group they won't pull? There is no real reason to ever play a rogue over a monk except to be more lazy or because you want cheap raid gear. Rogues cannot do anything better than anyone else. That is their issue.

For a class as useless as a rogue, other than doing damage, they SHOULD be doing 25% more damage than 2nd place melee damage. Just as wizard should do 25% more damage than all casters. As-is, you have people arguing that WELL once I get my uber weapons on my rogue then I will be very close to a monks DPS except I cannot FD or Mend and I have to have better gear than the monk. But... at least I don't have to pull *whew*

There is nothing wrong with rogues. They just aren't as good as they should be. Everyone else can do their jobs. You do not NEED a rogue until it's forced upon you on some stupid event that requires pick pocketing lol. Bards can lock picks and disarm traps just as well as rogues. Monks can DPS just as well as rogues.

There is no comparison between monk and rogue. Even if it were completely even, the FD brings the monk way ahead.
Rogues are good I don't care what anyway says. They may not be top tier dps in all situations, but I find a lot of rogues have this "out to prove the world wrong" attitude and are 100% on their game. They are very competitive DPS and usually #1 for overall raid damage output with trash clearing.

Can't do shit solo though.