EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
i mean it was basically released as pretty much a raid expansion. even those mid level zones were mostly all shit XP even then.
I wouldn't say just a raid expansion. It's biggest fault was that things were pretty distant and less familiar, so not as many people gave it a try. TOFS was very good xp dungeon with solid modifier. The keys were a deterrent to randos, but I had many fun groups there.

Crawling skyshrine was a really neat experience back in the day. Soooooo many random bs items that were fun to look at and it's such a huge and interesting zone to go through once with a group and soak it up, and a group can get all the way to the end without that much difficulty.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I always felt like Velious was EXTREMELY overrated as an expansion. Easily my least favorite expansion of the entire "golden era"(Classic - PoP) of EQ. If you don't raid 24/7, that expansion sucks total ass IMO.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I always felt like Velious was EXTREMELY overrated as an expansion. Easily my least favorite expansion of the entire "golden era"(Classic - PoP) of EQ. If you don't raid 24/7, that expansion sucks total ass IMO.

It's all about the lore. We fought dragons on Antonica and Kunark, now we're fighting them on their home turf. Places like Sleeper's Tomb and NTOV are atmospheric as hell. Also, ice areas in games have this kind of moodiness about them in general that a lot of people enjoy.

To me the "Golden Era" goes up through OoW, then a new one starts around TSS. People don't know how rich GoD is as an expansion.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Velious ended up being just a nostalgia trip for me. Once you've revisited everything, it loses its luster pretty quickly. I know how some people feel about AA's, but I think it's some kind of therapeutic shit to sit and grind out levels or AA's, so Im looking forward to Luclin pretty hard now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's all about the lore. We fought dragons on Antonica and Kunark, now we're fighting them on their home turf. Places like Sleeper's Tomb and NTOV are atmospheric as hell. Also, ice areas in games have this kind of moodiness about them in general that a lot of people enjoy.

To me the "Golden Era" goes up through OoW, then a new one starts around TSS. People don't know how rich GoD is as an expansion.
GoD could've really been something, but they moved a BUNCH of talent off the team at the last minute to rush design/redesign on EQ2.
Velious ended up being just a nostalgia trip for me. Once you've revisited everything, it loses its luster pretty quickly. I know how some people feel about AA's, but I think it's some kind of therapeutic shit to sit and grind out levels or AA's, so Im looking forward to Luclin pretty hard now.
MMORPGs are at their core, about the "grind". It's just making sure you have cool enough peeps around you to make that monotony fun and enjoyable. I never understand the "hate" for AAs. I think they are the single greatest accomplishment EQ designers ever had for the genre and I love a sense of "perpetual" progress.

• 2Like

Ryoz

<Donor>
Have a question for the hivemind - are there any items dropping in Velious that you guys give clerics a priority on?

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
Clicky pants - greaves of stability? I know we made sure all clerics have them and their epic, but that's all I (as a non-cleric) have seen prioritized.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
GoD could've really been something, but they moved a BUNCH of talent off the team at the last minute to rush design/redesign on EQ2.

MMORPGs are at their core, about the "grind". It's just making sure you have cool enough peeps around you to make that monotony fun and enjoyable. I never understand the "hate" for AAs. I think they are the single greatest accomplishment EQ designers ever had for the genre and I love a sense of "perpetual" progress.

When I talk about GoD I'm talking about the modern refined version, not the launch version (which I never got to experience).

They're two completely different expansions, pretty much.

And yeah, if they hadn't gutted the team... people would have very different memories of when the Golden Era ended.

I would have liked to see a GoD+OoW single expansion with a level raise to 70. Would have been a worthy follow-up to everything before it and been on par with the progression curves of previous expansions.

Unsure how they would have set it up (GoD zones first which unlocks Discord zones?) or even if this was ever actually the plan. Depends on who you ask. At the very least it seems like they planned a level 70 raise, split their expansion idea into halves, and left the raise for the second half. It's sorta like if PoP had ended with Sol Ro's Tower and left the elemental planes / Time / level raise for a sequel.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Original GOD was such a rapefest.

The first blue con Kyv you came across obliterated your tanks in ways AOW would blush at.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yeah I also love the endless AA grind...when I can solo. It's cool to get on and fight stuff for an hour and have it accomplish something.

Depending on class, there are a few points in the game's life cycle where it's easy to run out of AAs to get even if you only play casually. Monk/rogue/zerker in particular max out relatively fast. Then you have classes like Shaman and Bard that have a metric fuckton of points to spend and take ages to cap even for hardcore players. Especially when it comes to the Focus AAs added at level 105+. I think Bard might have 2x the AAs that Zerker does.

I've had a couple of somber moments where I capped AAs as a zerker and didn't have much else to do.

Daidraco

Yeah I also love the endless AA grind...when I can solo. It's cool to get on and fight stuff for an hour and have it accomplish something.

Depending on class, there are a few points in the game's life cycle where it's easy to run out of AAs to get even if you only play casually. Monk/rogue/zerker in particular max out relatively fast. Then you have classes like Shaman and Bard that have a metric fuckton of points to spend and take ages to cap even for hardcore players. Especially when it comes to the Focus AAs added at level 105+. I think Bard might have 2x the AAs that Zerker does.

I've had a couple of somber moments where I capped AAs as a zerker and didn't have much else to do.
I feel like aa's and levels set the goal. You can set your goal, and work towards it with an almost certainty that you will reach it. Something to work towards that you have a certain amount of control over without any association with guilt towards the people you have to work with. Those same people that make it worth it in the first place.

mtnhmr

Trakanon Raider
Is there a forum guild active on Mischief?

Rolled a necromancer beginning of the month, level 50, name is Till.

Would be great to group up with a guild etc!

Daidraco

Is there a forum guild active on Mischief?

Rolled a necromancer beginning of the month, level 50, name is Till.

Would be great to group up with a guild etc!
No forum guild, really. People here are split between Faceless, Greed is Good, and Magic and Mischief.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Original GOD was such a rapefest.

The first blue con Kyv you came across obliterated your tanks in ways AOW would blush at.

When I was so tanky that that AoW was pretty trivial with only a couple healers, those yellow con kyv trash in the raids could flatten me in half a second. It was not fun having to do XP groups just to deal with my xp drain from raiding. I swear they were worse than the bosses.

• 1Solidarity

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I know LDON gets a lot of shit for being tiny, and having shit for high end content. But that was some of my favorite time playing. I wasn’t in a place where I could raid at the time and it was so good being able to grind out those runs over abd over for some good gear and AA. I don’t think it will be great on this rule set but in it’s day it was good. Just doesn’t fit the TLP.

cannot wait for Luclin. So many great places you can solo or duo for solid XP when your just wanting to mess around and don’t feel like a group.

• 2Like

Sterling

El Presidente
LDoN raid stuff is relevant longer than most stuff from later expansions even. The problem is that the raids are mostly just shitty trash slogs. Some of the raid bosses have some kind of interesting things going on, but for the most part it's clear 20 minutes of trash, then kill some bullshit collect chests and hope RNG gives one of the good augs.

Xevy

Log Wizard
The trash mobs in Tacvi are harder than any other mob in GoD. There's like 12 of them, but each one is usually pulled while healers are medding and the first two people to try and take aggro are instantly dead.

Sterling

El Presidente
Tacvi trash is definitely not easy compared to other trash in the game, but that sounds more like an issue with your raid and not with the content.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The trash mobs in Tacvi are harder than any other mob in GoD. There's like 12 of them, but each one is usually pulled while healers are medding and the first two people to try and take aggro are instantly dead.

I don't know, aside from hitting like trucks, they're extremely one-dimensional mobs. Several other bosses in the zone, especially the final boss and one of the snakes, always gave us a lot more grief than they did.

Edit: Just realized I can't wait for GoD