EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Looks like about 20 guilds beat the latest raid tier on day 1. 36 guilds total on the leaderboard (at a glance). I'm glad to see live still has this many raiding guilds at least!

I see five guilds I've been in on that list, awesome that they're all still around.

It's particularly cool to see Faceless Conquest and Original Gangster Club on the live expansion clear list. Probably the two longest-term successes to emerge from TLPs? Oh yeah, and ROI of course.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Having the main server definitely helped and it was done during late TSS/TBS on Aradune so there wasn't a whole bunch of group content left to do there, so people could spend time on Vaniki and not feel like they were falling behind on their mains. It was also mostly done for the benefit of the main server. The /claim reward you get from the CBQ kill achievement is really good, it's a bag of raid currency that you can use to buy nearly a full set of visible raid armour on an expansion that uses raid currency. It's great for boxes or to catch up quickly in the future. It's almost like being handed a bag of kronos except you can use them to buy no drop raid gear from a current expansion.

The raid currency rewards weren't exciting to the TLP-only crowd, but their usefulness on live wasn't lost to me. A couple of those rewards in your pocket and you could roll up to a brand new expansion on live ready to buy a bunch of BIS items from the shops. I think I have two of those banked myself to catch up and make myself useful if I ever get back on Vox. IIRC each reward is equivalent to two BPs worth of currency, which means like 4-6 regular (non BP or pants) slots. While I enjoyed the fun rewards like having a pet Emperor Ssra, the rewards that I'm gonna be glad I spent time on later are the currency ones.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
If they do a Mischief style server with relaxed truebox, my boomer ass is back in. Even if they don't do the FV rules, all I need is random loot off bosses and I'm in. I won't play another server without relaxed/no truebox though.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Damn, I'd like to try a progression server but it's been forever, I doubt they even still have my Toons that were on Vazaelle back in the day. Going to have to see how busy my May is.

I know at the end of May TOOL will be playing on Thursday night for a festival in Columbus OH. I'd love to get vip tickets, also don't really feel like being in a field for four days either, been there and did that at three different Bonnaroo's.

How are mages on classic progress servers? Would like to run a mage, I'm pretty sure Enchanters get pretty much a instant group. Was a Iksar Monk main on Vazaelle up until PoP, then the mass exodus to WoW happened. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I wish they'd drop one of these servers in like, February. I'm never doing much in February.

I think one of those predictions will be right but not both. They always have at least one classic-launch server. It's possible this will be the time they don't, given how many we've gotten. Maybe this year we get two things that are different. I can only hope.

Omens launch would be pretty interesting. I'd still like to see them try a TSS launch server just because of the level 1-75 content in TSS and it being a whole new leveling path for people. If we aren't getting that, Omens is probably the second-best post-GoD launch point. Starts everyone right after the GoD that they all run away from every server, and with a ton of content to do. I'm thinking the level 70 wasteland wouldn't be too bad under these circumstances. Normally you have a couple months in OoW, then the wasteland of the other 70 expansions. With an OoW launch you've got a couple months of OoW and everything before it, so people are still gonna be swimming in things to do for the first few months, and DoN/DoD/PoR won't seem like as much of a drought as they usually do. Still, I'd hope TSS isn't more than 4-5 months out from the initial OoW launch and even that'd be pushing it. Ideally it's OoW for 2 months, then all 3 of the next expansions at once, then TSS 2 months after that.

I'm ready for my yearly "bang out all the levels and be the only person farming giants for two days" again. Especially if there's a bonus. Time to load up on Redline and adderall.
Lol, that Redline shit is no joke! Had to get some because all the pharmacies are having a shortage of Adderall, although I finally found a CVS that had some in stock this past week, thank goodness.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I see five guilds I've been in on that list, awesome that they're all still around.

It's particularly cool to see Faceless Conquest and Original Gangster Club on the live expansion clear list. Probably the two longest-term successes to emerge from TLPs? Oh yeah, and ROI of course.
It’s great for sure. I hope in time that Faceless will break into the top 5 on live, but top 10 isn’t bad. Maybe a few years from now we can deliver a fresh roster to them to help!

I am also *very* happy to see OGC in 25th place. :)

• 1Wow!

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
They're solid if not terribly dynamic during the first few expansions.
Ty, I actually might try Enchanter, never played one but I loved to have a good one in groups, Sol B, Upper & Lower Guk, CoM, etc etc etc etc. Bard is the only class that is pretty much best at everything if they can chain 3-4 songs. Now, this is from my rusty old grey matter attempting to recall everything(back then I had a shit ton more time to play and camp for epic items, I do have to say the Fungi tunic made soloing soooo much easier and better). I did enjoy being a puller for groups and splitting hard mob packs. Also had fun keeping my mage pet in check in groups while trying to use DPS spells and limited debuffs, nothing like a pet breaking a mez... KRA@@!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Ty, I actually might try Enchanter, never played one but I loved to have a good one in groups, Sol B, Upper & Lower Guk, CoM, etc etc etc etc. Bard is the only class that is pretty much best at everything if they can chain 3-4 songs. Now, this is from my rusty old grey matter attempting to recall everything(back then I had a shit ton more time to play and camp for epic items, I do have to say the Fungi tunic made soloing soooo much easier and better). I did enjoy being a puller for groups and splitting hard mob packs. Also had fun keeping my mage pet in check in groups while trying to use DPS spells and limited debuffs, nothing like a pet breaking a mez... KRA@@!

The only thing to keep in mind with an Enchanter is that you will be expected to have and maintain a charm pet in every group and on every raid where there is something to charm. During Classic that's kind of everything with raid charming diminishing in necessity over time.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only thing to keep in mind with an Enchanter is that you will be expected to have and maintain a charm pet in every group and on every raid where there is something to charm. During Classic that's kind of everything with raid charming diminishing in necessity over time.

Top DPS then.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Top DPS then.

Enchanters are S+ tier in Classic for sure. Some people get burned out from all the charming though. It's raid night, you're doing some dragons and sky, you charm an ice giant, you charm a fire giant and you go on to charm a pixie on top of all the buffing. Pull your pets back! Whose pet is this! You're hearing that shit all the goddamn time. Some of the other Enchanters are speds and you're getting lumped in with them, etc.

But in exchange for that you are the best.

• 2Like

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Mage is a useful box and is popular in VT as a coth bitch. :D Fortunately in modern EQ pets can't break mez.

Holding a charm pet means you can never go to the bathroom or afk ever while in a group (unless you have a necro/bard/enc in the group). Your charm pet is really strong and breaks randomly (which will kill you and/or the group). As mentioned, the pay off is they are OP and basically you carry the group's dps.

This was even more fun with the extra levels on charm, which meant you always held deep red mobs, so high risk v reward.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We now have official confirmation of a new TLP coming this year. They are saying it will be a May release, I am projecting Thursday May 25th.

View attachment 452499

Server Predictions:
1: Vanilla TLP with Relaxed Truebox starting in omens.
2: Special ruleset using one of the following gimmicks: FV Loot, PvP, Selo Unlocks (double loot instead of half lockouts) or something entirely off the wall.

June is going to be

Snl Drunk Uncle GIF

• 2Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
How about bards? I don't feel like boxing at all, never had any interests into boxing a group or even a duo. Back in 99-01, my main was a Mage but then I switched to the Monk, mainly because I enjoyed pulling, got my monk epic and some Sleepers tomb weapons. Didn't do any SoL raiding tbh.

I did enjoy visiting noowes*, Afterlifes MB, etc to see serverwide first, which could be literally minutes to just a couple hours difference. Assuming that's how poopsock got coined.
I got to the start of NToV raid wise before population started dropping. Never got my Mage epic either, still upset with Quillmane & Atotrops! Kra!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Enchanters are S+ tier in Classic for sure. Some people get burned out from all the charming though. It's raid night, you're doing some dragons and sky, you charm an ice giant, you charm a fire giant and you go on to charm a pixie on top of all the buffing. Pull your pets back! Whose pet is this! You're hearing that shit all the goddamn time. Some of the other Enchanters are speds and you're getting lumped in with them, etc.

But in exchange for that you are the best.
I brushed this warning off when I rolled by enchanter on Aradune, thinking that it couldn't be that bad. Sure enough after a few weeks of it I was tired of the burden and would rather just have a non-OP mage or necro pet. Maintaining the charmed pet while keeping buffs rolling while boxing a enc/cle is no joke.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I brushed this warning off when I rolled by enchanter on Aradune, thinking that it couldn't be that bad. Sure enough after a few weeks of it I was tired of the burden and would rather just have a non-OP mage or necro pet. Maintaining the charmed pet while keeping buffs rolling while boxing a enc/cle is no joke.
I played an enchanter on Aradune - really enjoyed grouping but never was comfortable boxing a healer as well. Grouped several times with someone duoing a ench/cleric in a group in Sebilis crypt and we both were using skelly pets - had to give him props, controlled pet, cleric buffs never dropped and I think he took one break in like 4-5 hours. Hell now that I think about it he may have been playing the tank also.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Has there ever been a two box allowance on these? Seems like they are all true box or unlimited that mom played on. Wonder if even possible to set a two account per device rule?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Has there ever been a two box allowance on these? Seems like they are all true box or unlimited that mom played on. Wonder if even possible to set a two account per device rule?
Rizlona had non true box. Aradune had a two account limit that was often abused and rarely punished except in inconsistent ways. They don't have the interest or the resources to genuinely police a rule set like that.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
They have relaxed truebox which is 3 accounts per box, but don’t think any server has ever launched with that. Really all servers should have relaxed truebox by the time gates or omens comes around

• 1Like

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Aradune was two account rule but was still truebox in that they expected you to play those accounts on separate machines. I'm guessing they don't want to remove truebox so people aren't fielding raids on a single machine, but I feel like there are better ways to handle it for people who just want to do 2-3 box.

In general, a lot of DPG's 'fixes' for things seem to hit the casual user vs the hardcore boxer. Truebox, enc stuns, etc are all trivial to overcome for anyone operating on a scale that might give the devs pause. Meanwhile normal people are just locked out of activities that are probably minimally harmful to the server's health / economy. (Whether large boxing groups are even a harm to a server in the first place is a different discussion lol)