EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Why? What in starting with luclin would make the same people not want bags and potions? Seems to me it’s more a population and outlook thing. Sure, if some people hate everything past pop they’d be less likely to spend since their time on their server would be shorter, but that really just goes back to population

Guessing faster leveling = less exp potions and better buffs and mounts = less run speed/clarity/haste pots.

No idea if that's true or not, but there's at least some logic to it

TairyGreene

Silver Knight of the Realm
Why? What in starting with luclin would make the same people not want bags and potions? Seems to me it’s more a population and outlook thing. Sure, if some people hate everything past pop they’d be less likely to spend since their time on their server would be shorter, but that really just goes back to population
I think the server would just be more popular in general. More people, more bags. Triple is probably overshooting it.

Also mounts are available in Luclin which equates to easier QoL and less demand for potions. 50% pots are available in Luclin as well, but more expensive, so not really sure how those numbers would shake out. Leveling is easier in Luclin.

Then there's server retention/player engagement rates in Classic-Velious vs. Luclin - GoD. Yelinak shows DBG can shit out a recycled copy and paste server and still attract a decent sized population for a classic-PoP run. Yelinak would probably be half the size it is now if it started in Luclin.

Last edited:

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Imagine plaing EQ TLP# 5932

The Rock Yes GIF

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Imagine plaing EQ TLP# 5932
I don't think there's many of us that actually play every round of TLP. A few nostalgia addicts around here play every round, but most of us at this point just give it a go every 2-3 years I'd say.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, especially when the ruleset is pointless and not very fun, like last year.

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why do they announce these things so far out. I want it now, while I have nothing to do, not the beginning of summer. Gimme what I want.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Why do they announce these things so far out. I want it now, while I have nothing to do, not the beginning of summer. Gimme what I want.

If whatever they go with has the same unlock pattern as Mischief than that's a Velious unlock in August! Planes of Power in December!

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member

0.26 mark got my attention. EQ3 ? :D
I wouldn't trust Daybreak to make an EQ3 any of us would want to play at this point.
They are really focused on making a cash shop f2p hybrid experience first, and a game second.

I think that even Pantheon has a better chance of releasing a proper 'EQ3' that players would like to actually play instead of Daybreak at this point, and that's a big stretch, given that Pantheon is in a rough state after a decade.

An EQ3 would look visually pleasing, and have the branding attached to it - but would have the predatory monetization model that EQ2 has. After all, EQ2 has a higher ARPPU than EQ1 ever will, despite having absolutely unfun systems.

Anyone who can read between the lines will start to see where Daybreak's idea of an EQ3 matches with private investors and not in line with their community.
TLP/TLE players suffer through it, because they 'don't trust emulators' to stay online or handle their character responsibly despite being free, and there's no alternative to playing TLP/TLE/Live if you're looking for an "EverQuest experience."

EQ2 has stat familiars, stat mounts, mercenary gear, P2W skipping spell research (as the only way to reasonably 'kit out' a character and top DPS charts!), item infusers, loot crates with OP mercenaries, unique utility items, etc - these are things their current players do not want. Their 'free to play' tier is half-baked and a glorified free trial - except, for the fact, their free trial had more to offer than their free to play experience does for 14 days...

But let's change gears for a moment to say what awesome could come, despite the above notion that 'EQ3 will likely have these systems...'

Daybreak is a tech powerhouse company first, imo, and a game developer second.
Their engineers are better than most in industry on the tech side - the people they contracted or 'hired from within' (Daylight Dev - might be internal?) to do the 64-bit upgrade alongside the DX11/DX12 ports, and the upcoming UI ports, have been incredibly great at making solid, reliable technology, and specifically, with upgrading legacy tech.

I'm surprised they simply do not lease out those teams or advertise them better - plenty of people in industry would pay top dollar to upgrade their old games' engines before they become end-of-life.

As someone who just recently completed a 64bit port of a game virtually alone over 6 months, the process is incredibly arduous - and they deserve a lot of credit for pulling that off. It's incredible that EQ runs as well as it does in 2023.

You can bet that Daybreak will likely release an EQ3, just based on their previous experience, their existing tech, and the ability to rapidly create new systems with their small team. Company-wide, I can't imagine they have more than 20-40 game-specific developers across all disciplines. That's standard for industry, but what's incredible is how much their small team has also been able to accomplish on the tech side.

EQ3 will likely be chock full of nostalgia and homages, along with incredible art, technical design, and maybe some awesomely designed gameplay systems. That's nearly guaranteed.

However, underneath the pretty exterior, there's still the fact that their monetization model is half-baked, and in some cases, rotten. This is what I fear: the video gamer in me is thinking that it won't be palatable to their existing EQ/EQ2 players, but their hope is the brand and the technology may be strong enough to set a 'new normal' of mobile studio-esque tactics in their PC games that is 'tame' enough on the surface. EQ/EQ2 won't be affected, of course, but an EQ3 would obviously be popular enough, and a safe enough bet to set up all of their monetization systems out the gate without player backlash.

Existing EQ/EQ2 players would be enough to set the illusion that an EQ3 would be 'popular' - their playerbase getting wish-washed by the new influx of people checking out 'the new EverQuest game' and the new players will be assuming that this monetization is how EQ/EQ2 have always been.

This is following suit with what the industry - and specifically, their competitor from ages past - is doing with the new Warcraft title, bringing Diablo Immortal-esque tactics to D4, etc... it's a tactic that works for monetization at the expense of brand loyalty to push their 'aging titles' into the 'modern market'.

Even WoW's likely to have a reckoning soon, as they are bringing back Torghast in some format, they're adding a form of borrowed power soon that was datamined, etc... investors and shareholders want PC titles to monetize like mobile titles do, because they 'don't understand the reason why they can't' - so likely, these decisions have come from above as they noticed engagement tanked (by design, because people can acquire gear easier) and profits dipped (by design, as people won't have to spend as much on cosmetics with the trading post)

Feels like the industry is slowing eating itself alive. It's going to be an interesting next 10 years as indies compete with established industry giants, and I feel like industry giants will lose this battle long-term - mainly because indies do not require the profits that giants 'require' to stay alive and paint Bobby Kotick's new house gold.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just look at the size of the dev team at DBG, its way too small to release a new MMO. Pantheon probably has the same size team and still cant get into alpha.

It would be cool to get anything new EQ related but that seems like a pipedream.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wouldn't trust Daybreak to make an EQ3 any of us would want to play at this point.
They are really focused on making a cash shop f2p hybrid experience first, and a game second.
I'd trust J-Chan, if they made her the Director/Producer. She'd at least made something worth playing.

• 3Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Just look at the size of the dev team at DBG, its way too small to release a new MMO. Pantheon probably has the same size team and still cant get into alpha.

It would be cool to get anything new EQ related but that seems like a pipedream.
Monsters and Memories has done more in 2 years - unpaid - compared to Pantheon, and they've done so with a team smaller than Daybreak. I don't think team size is as important as the 'old guard' once made it out to be. Game development has rapidly changed since 2000, and it's easier than ever to make something tangible, given enough time and determination to see something through.

Competency and quality of individuals involved matters greatly compared to amount of personnel. You can toss 40 stooges at a project, and if none of them know what they're doing - and they have no direction or competent leadership during production - you'll probably end up with nothing. I have little faith in closed-doors indie projects in the same way I have no faith in closed-doors AAA projects these days because of the lack of transparency.

Crypto proved you can just bypass the illusion that you are competent or fair, and skip to the part where you take the money, as early access games have been doing for a decade now with preorders / presales.

I have full confidence Daybreak has not only had the time, but the actual additional personnel to make a new MMORPG on top of liveops. They have done so for a cancelled Marvel MMO twice now.

I have minor confidence in their ability to do so in a way that respects the players' time and wallets, though.

I'd trust J-Chan, if they made her the Director/Producer. She'd at least made something worth playing.
I'd trust JChan to make a technologically sound product. I do not trust EG7/Renova Group/Columbus Nova/whomever ends up with the game to stay out of a potential new product, though. And that's where my trust in Daybreak fails.

• 3Like

BigDirty

Security Director of Crisis and Weather Management
<Bronze Donator>

I think that even Pantheon has a better chance of releasing a proper 'EQ3' that players would like to actually play instead of Daybreak at this point, and that's a big stretch, given that Pantheon is in a rough state after a decade.

An EQ3 would look visually pleasing, and have the branding attached to it - but would have the predatory monetization model that EQ2 has. After all, EQ2 has a higher ARPPU than EQ1 ever will, despite having absolutely unfun systems.

Anyone who can read between the lines will start to see where Daybreak's idea of an EQ3 matches with private investors and not in line with their community.
TLP/TLE players suffer through it, because they 'don't trust emulators' to stay online or handle their character responsibly despite being free, and there's no alternative to playing TLP/TLE/Live if you're looking for an "EverQuest experience."

EQ2 has stat familiars, stat mounts, mercenary gear, P2W skipping spell research (as the only way to reasonably 'kit out' a character and top DPS charts!), item infusers, loot crates with OP mercenaries, unique utility items, etc - these are things their current players do not want. Their 'free to play' tier is half-baked and a glorified free trial - except, for the fact, their free trial had more to offer than their free to play experience does for 14 days...

But let's change gears for a moment to say what awesome could come, despite the above notion that 'EQ3 will likely have these systems...'

Daybreak is a tech powerhouse company first, imo, and a game developer second.
Their engineers are better than most in industry on the tech side - the people they contracted or 'hired from within' (Daylight Dev - might be internal?) to do the 64-bit upgrade alongside the DX11/DX12 ports, and the upcoming UI ports, have been incredibly great at making solid, reliable technology, and specifically, with upgrading legacy tech.

I'm surprised they simply do not lease out those teams or advertise them better - plenty of people in industry would pay top dollar to upgrade their old games' engines before they become end-of-life.

As someone who just recently completed a 64bit port of a game virtually alone over 6 months, the process is incredibly arduous - and they deserve a lot of credit for pulling that off. It's incredible that EQ runs as well as it does in 2023.

You can bet that Daybreak will likely release an EQ3, just based on their previous experience, their existing tech, and the ability to rapidly create new systems with their small team. Company-wide, I can't imagine they have more than 20-40 game-specific developers across all disciplines. That's standard for industry, but what's incredible is how much their small team has also been able to accomplish on the tech side.

EQ3 will likely be chock full of nostalgia and homages, along with incredible art, technical design, and maybe some awesomely designed gameplay systems. That's nearly guaranteed.

However, underneath the pretty exterior, there's still the fact that their monetization model is half-baked, and in some cases, rotten. This is what I fear: the video gamer in me is thinking that it won't be palatable to their existing EQ/EQ2 players, but their hope is the brand and the technology may be strong enough to set a 'new normal' of mobile studio-esque tactics in their PC games that is 'tame' enough on the surface. EQ/EQ2 won't be affected, of course, but an EQ3 would obviously be popular enough, and a safe enough bet to set up all of their monetization systems out the gate without player backlash.

Existing EQ/EQ2 players would be enough to set the illusion that an EQ3 would be 'popular' - their playerbase getting wish-washed by the new influx of people checking out 'the new EverQuest game' and the new players will be assuming that this monetization is how EQ/EQ2 have always been.

This is following suit with what the industry - and specifically, their competitor from ages past - is doing with the new Warcraft title, bringing Diablo Immortal-esque tactics to D4, etc... it's a tactic that works for monetization at the expense of brand loyalty to push their 'aging titles' into the 'modern market'.

Even WoW's likely to have a reckoning soon, as they are bringing back Torghast in some format, they're adding a form of borrowed power soon that was datamined, etc... investors and shareholders want PC titles to monetize like mobile titles do, because they 'don't understand the reason why they can't' - so likely, these decisions have come from above as they noticed engagement tanked (by design, because people can acquire gear easier) and profits dipped (by design, as people won't have to spend as much on cosmetics with the trading post)

Feels like the industry is slowing eating itself alive. It's going to be an interesting next 10 years as indies compete with established industry giants, and I feel like industry giants will lose this battle long-term - mainly because indies do not require the profits that giants 'require' to stay alive and paint Bobby Kotick's new house gold.
i cant find any information about wow adding back borrowed power or torghast stuff , would love a link to look at and laugh