EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Since it doesn't matter anymore, here's how I farmed a ton of my kronos on Vaniki. Farmed one particular DoN mission solo at level 60, had two AFK characters sitting outside to get 3x the crystals, proceeded to sell said crystals at the end of every session and convert the plat into kronos. Rate was about 1 krono in a half hour, then as the 60 cycle wore on and crystals got lower in price, it turned into more like 1 krono an hour. Unless you don't count time spent waiting for the lockout timer to expire, in which case it was more like a krono for every 20 minutes of actual work even at the low end. Would have been twice as fast if I'd had a full box group sitting around getting crystals, but I guess the box limit was 3 or something.

There was also a glitch where you could sometimes request the mission twice in a row if you requested it again real fast after kicking the task. You'd end up with two different lockout timers for the same task, but could do it again when the first one expired. Sometimes the 2x trick didn't work, sometimes it did, and it seemed very random. I'd knock out this mission in all of 5-10 minutes, immediately do it again if it let me, go afk for 40 minutes to do actual work, repeat. Since I had 3 empty spots in group, I sent out a ton of guildwide TAs which made people quite happy. When I was done for the day I'd post all the crystals up on Baz, then in the morning reap the plat and buy however many kronos it added up to. Cleared out a lot of the krono market that way.

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Bragging about having the best pixels on your toon in game is one thing. Bragging about being a kronolord and manipulating markets is an entirely different level of autism.

I know you don’t come to this forum for career advice, but put your effort into something more investable. The very last thing you want is to depend on us paying your bills.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Bragging about having the best pixels on your toon in game is one thing. Bragging about being a kronolord and manipulating markets is an entirely different level of autism.

I know you don’t come to this forum for career advice, but put your effort into something more investable. The very last thing you want is to depend on us paying your bills.

Naw bro, that DoN crystal farm I talked about above was pretty much the height of me "kronolording" or manipulating markets. As much as one can actually do those things as a solo SK on a -10 level server. I've still got the majority of the kronos I made from that DoN thing too, nobody's paying my bills. Did it strictly for the fun of it to see how high I could make a number go. Not bragging so much as passing the methods along for other people to use.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
$82k a year is considerably more than a large majority of Americans make at their full time jobs, not sure if I'd poo-poo it. Especially when it's from playing a game that they'd be playing anyway. He said he got $7k on his best month and that a typical month was lower than that, so it wouldn't be $82k either, but it's still probably above average for earnings if his numbers are accurate.

On one hand, selling 500-700 kronos in a month seems like a stretch. On the other hand...how many people are paying for EQ with kronos every month? No clue how many active accounts there are in EQ at this point. 20k maybe, with surges to 30k for TLP launch months? Even if it's that low, if only half of that 20k pay for their accounts with krono, that's 10,000 krono being used up per month, that need to come from somewhere, and need to be replenished for non-lord people. Looked at through that lens, yeah, I can believe someone sold 500 in a month.

I probably played EQ as much as the kronolords did at some of the TLP launches and I probably could have made a good chunk of money if I put my mind to it. Now I'm wondering how much I could get if I took a few weeks and really tried to convert all that EQ time at a TLP launch into moneymaking instead of just farming leisurely. If I'm gonna take a few weeks to play and expend the man-hours I usually do, I might as well maximize it.
7k cash a month ain't shit.

You have no other benefits. Retirement accounts, health, vision , dental. PTO. Only pulling in 7k a month with nothing else is not that great. Not to slam anyone but this isn't ground breaking money. Then on top of this---how is this all taxed? That being said, I've played a lot of EQ but good lord I couldn't play that much, so I commend those that pull something like this off. Its a nice little hustle, but there is no stability, and your income is literally on the whim of a dev or GM.

• 1Like

TairyGreene

Silver Knight of the Realm
I always wanted to know what the major plat dupe was on Mischief. The one in the Kunark era.
The only one I know of is/was Lynuga. Something along the lines of you gave her 2 rubies, she'd give you back both rubies plus the quest rewards which vendor for a good amount of plat. You could charm her, take her to a vendor, and turn in rubies ad infinitum for Ivandyr's and vendor plat.

A couple friends got some accounts permabanned on Yelinak for doing it. I don't know if that dupe was present/exploited on Mischief.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you think you can do krono farming as a full time job then you are fooling yourself. Its not easy, its not constant for most people and it can be taken away at a moments notice. Its also highly competitive right now more than it has been in years.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

You have no other benefits. Retirement accounts, health, vision , dental. PTO. Only pulling in 7k a month with nothing else is not that great. Not to slam anyone but this isn't ground breaking money. Then on top of this---how is this all taxed? That being said, I've played a lot of EQ but good lord I couldn't play that much, so I commend those that pull something like this off. Its a nice little hustle, but there is no stability, and your income is literally on the whim of a dev or GM.

Don't think anyone ever claimed it was "ground breaking money"

The idea that it's dogshit because it won't make you a millionaire is retarded

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Here is a current rumor I just heard...

Level 65 and 100+ aa. PoP start and free trade.

Hard pass for me, if this is true.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Pop in for three days, clear Time with everyone using Emp Ssra wand illusions, take a screenshot, quit.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
On RF/LJ you could put plat in your shared bank as you were logging out. When they opened up free xfers you could select to transfer and it would start a 30 second logout timer. Then as you were logging out put plat in your shared bank and you would end up with plat in your shared bank and also that same plat on the other server. So you could just xfer toon back and forth and double your plat every time.

TBH i'm not sure both the plat dupes from Mischief were fixed, so i'll refrain from saying the one i know worked. You could also dupe items with that one, but it was very limited.

I'm also told there was one "lag/zone crash" based one, but i can't confirm it's true.

true, most of the recent plat dupes I've heard about involve abusing customer service stuff.

On eqmac there was something involving restoring deleted characters. You'd wait until you saw the character saved message, transfer some items/plat to someone, then /q, then delete your character and petition.

Another one involved putting an item in the merchant sell slot, then destroying it, put the yes/no confirm box right above the sell button and click fast - in zones like pok you could sell to merchant yet it wouldnt leave your inventory.

then there was more basic ideas around zone lag by just trading and then using mq2 to crash zones

then there was an old mq2 hack that you could set the price of a merchants item (or send a different price in the purchase packet or something like that) and buy a ton then sell them back for profit... this might have been an eqemu thing only

then there was some classic tradeskill recipes that netted profit from merchants

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
On RF/LJ you could put plat in your shared bank as you were logging out. When they opened up free xfers you could select to transfer and it would start a 30 second logout timer. Then as you were logging out put plat in your shared bank and you would end up with plat in your shared bank and also that same plat on the other server. So you could just xfer toon back and forth and double your plat every time.

TBH i'm not sure both the plat dupes from Mischief were fixed, so i'll refrain from saying the one i know worked. You could also dupe items with that one, but it was very limited.

I'm also told there was one "lag/zone crash" based one, but i can't confirm it's true.

That reminds me. I don't know if it was RF too but LJ had all the expansions unlock out of the blue one day when it was still in classic. Some people went and bought spells out of PoK and memorized them, some made Berzerkers and it all got rolled back. Sorta, not really. The people that put a bunch of shit in their shared bank got a rollback AND all the shit was still in their shared bank.

So if something bizarre happens I recommend slamming all your dropables in to the shared bank. The spell thing was weird. If you had extra copies of something out of era in your shared bank they were still there but if you memmed them they would poof. If you get yourself a chance to buy just all the Malo and Torpor or whatever don't touch them until the proper era unlocks.

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This would literally never happen and serves no purpose to a TLP.

I agree. I hope it's completely wrong. Came from a guildie with someone he considers a credible source, or I would have just dismissed it outright.

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Naw bro, that DoN crystal farm I talked about above was pretty much the height of me "kronolording" or manipulating markets. As much as one can actually do those things as a solo SK on a -10 level server. I've still got the majority of the kronos I made from that DoN thing too, nobody's paying my bills. Did it strictly for the fun of it to see how high I could make a number go. Not bragging so much as passing the methods along for other people to use.
Rajaah, I’ve got nothing but respect for you. I was referring to Frenzic. =>

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I know it would be gamebreaking, but I would love something like Classic, but you can slowly earn AAs (like actual slowly, not EQ2 get all AAs in one sitting speed) just by exping with friends, etc. Just some progression at level cap aside from praying to raid loot RNJesus.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I thought there was some hijinx with server transfers during the mischief time. Sometime about keeping shit on your cursor or zoning while doing the request. I don't remember what I heard, exactly.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider

Would be ok for the 2nd server I guess. Would be a disaster for the primary server. Plus it would instantly kill Yelinak considering it hits GOD same month the new servers release.

• 1Truth!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Miragul didn't go anywhere and there's a PoP locked choice on the server select screen. I'd be really surprised if they went with a PoP start server versus trying something off the wall or copying something that already worked.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, I would never rely on something like this as my source of employment and the GM thing is a big part of that. You could get an entire box operation shut down in an instant and lose God knows how much accumulated krono.

I don't know how this discussion turned into "lol $87k is nothing" and "this is a terrible thing to do for work" though. I don't know what Frenzic's circumstances are but he makes more than the average American does in low wage jobs, and I myself wasn't ever talking about doing this as a job. Just "I'm gonna spend a ton of time in the game for a month or a couple months like I usually do, perhaps I should try monetizing all those man hours and do something new".

I'm very intrigued with turning the game into an RTS to begin with and that'd lend itself to things like farming that could be easily monetized for an added meta-game. I might not even do any of this. Not sure why people are like, on the attack about it.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

So...Vaniki with normal levels, at a slightly earlier point, without the achievement carrot?

I don't buy it, but given how daft some of the TLP ideas have been...