EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just got back from visiting DPG and talking about the next TLP. They said, and I quote, "Sir, this is a Wendy's".

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

thecontagious

Golden Knight of the Realm
None of you fucks know what's actually going on. Keep blowing your insider friends who are giving you the latest scoop!

• 1Edgelord
  • 1Salty
  • 1Hodjing
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
My source is being coy and all I could get out of them today was "Please let me out of this hole, I don't even know what EverQuest is" but I think I'm about to get the details!

Zaide

TLP Idealist

And now, what many of you have been waiting for, our brand-new Progression Server named Oakwynd will launch in May as an Evolving Ruleset Progression Server.

"What does that mean?" you ask. As mentioned in passing before, this will be a truly experimental year. It starts out at launch with something we call Legacy characters and encounter locking. Then at each expansion unlock, an additional bonus will be added to the server. Note: the details of these rules are under development and may change before release.

Legacy characters allow your characters on the same account on the server to receive a semi-permanent experience bonus.

• When players reach max level (for the current era) with a character, their account receives an experience bonus for all characters on that server.
  • e.g., When a player has 1 max level character, their account receives a 10% bonus EXP buff.
  • When a player has 2 max-level characters, the buff stacks. They now get 20% bonus EXP.
    • This bonus caps at a 100% bonus.
    • When the server's level cap increases, players will lose the buff until they get one of their characters to max level again, and the bonus starts again at 10%.
Additionally, this server will be our first attempt at encounter locking. In short, once an NPC is engaged, it will be locked to that character, group, or raid. Characters not part of the lock cannot contribute damage. Spells from outside characters will not land on the NPC. If an actively locked NPC loses aggro for a short time period, the NPC will go home, reset, then unlock.

Now onto the Evolving part. For each expansion unlock, we're planning on adding the following benefits to the server. Each benefit will add to the existing instead of replacing the benefits active on the server (unless it's a higher value of an existing benefit). For example, using the list below, when The Scars of Velious unlocks, Legacy Characters, Encounter Locking, and a 125% modifier to the normal loot rate will already be unlocked and with the unlock a 125% modifier to the normal faction changes will be added. These are currently what we have planned for the unlocks:

• Classic - Legacy Characters and Encounter Locking
  • The Ruins of Kunark - Loot Modifier - 125%
  • The Scars of Velious - Faction Modifier - 125%
  • The Shadows of Luclin - AA EXP Modifier - 125%
  • The Planes of Power - Coin Drop Modifier - 150%
  • The Legacy of Ykesha - Lowered spawn timers on all NPCs - 85%
  • Lost Dungeons of Norrath - Alternate Currency Modifier - 150%
  • Gates of Discord - Tribute Donation Modifier - 200% - Relax Truebox to 3
  • Omens of War - Rare Spawn Modifier - 200%
  • Dragons of Norrath - Faction Modifier - 200%
  • Depths of Darkhollow - Evolving Item EXP Modifier - 150%
  • Prophecy of Ro – Chance to Increase Skills Modifier (includes Tradeskills) - 200%
  • The Serpent's Spine - Loot Modifier - 200% - Remove Truebox
  • The Buried Sea - Alternate Currency Modifier - 200%
  • Secrets of Faydwer - Faction Modifier - 300%
  • Seeds of Destruction - EXP Modifier - 125%
  • Underfoot - Tribute Use Reduction - 75%
  • House of Thule - AA EXP Modifier - 150%
  • Veil of Alaris - Alternate Currency Modifier - 250%
  • Rain of Fear - Collection Spawn Time Modifier - 75%
  • Call of the Forsaken - Mercenary AA EXP Modifier - 200%
  • The Darkened Sea - Lowered spawn timers on all NPCs - 70%
  • The Broken Mirror - EXP Modifier - 150%
  • Empires of Kunark - Rare Spawn Modifier - 300%
  • Ring of Scale - AA EXP Modifier - 175%
  • The Burning Lands - Luck Modifier - 125%
  • Torment of Velious - Evolving Item EXP Modifier - 200%
  • Claws of Veeshan - AA EXP Modifier - 200%
  • Terror of Luclin - EXP Modifier - 200%
  • Night of Shadows - Rare Spawn Modifier - 400%
Oakwynd will have the "Standard Unlock" schedule as many other progression servers. This is where new expansions unlock automatically every 8-12 weeks with the early expansions unlocking faster.

Unlock Schedule:

• Eight weeks after launch: Ruins of Kunark
  • Eight weeks later: Scars of Velious
  • Eight weeks later: Shadows of Luclin
  • Eight weeks later: Planes for Power and Legacy of Ykesha
  • Twelve weeks later: Lost Dungeons of Norrath
  • Four weeks later: Gates of Discord
  • At this point the schedule becomes consistent. Enjoy expansions for twelve weeks when a new level cap is unlocked, and eight weeks in expansions where the level cap stays the same.
True Box:

• This server starts with standard True Box. Only one EverQuest client may be run per computer.
  • When Omens of War unlocks, we will move to a Relaxed True Box. You may have up to 3 clients per computer logged into the server at the same time.
  • When The Buried Sea unlocks, True Box will be removed.

• 2Like
  • 1Double Worf

Baulkin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm just going to throw this out here in the "They didn't think this ruleset" catagory. You go into a DZ, once everyone is in. Move all the healers out of the raid. Now if the raid wipes...the raid mob just resets and you rez. LOL

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
Extra loot starting in Kunark but no free trade? Dogshit.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
As a rough draft it's alright. We'll have to see what they actually launch with. I assume that 125% loot modifier means 25% more loot which means most raid targets will have an extra thing on them. I can understand them not wanting to just always run tons of bonus loot after Mischief and Vaniki but that shit really was cash. Two months of Classic with virtually no carrot is really weird. In regards to encounter locking is it going to be on every single mob in the game? At level one are you going to be encounter locking every bat you pull? That sounds shitty.

It looks like what we've got is a little sugar at the start when numbers are high and than an increasing incentive for people to stick around. It also gives some incentives to show up to a server later or make a return. He bro, c'mon back. It's double loot now. There's also 50% bonus exp on. AAs are way way faster. Etc.

But it is on the weak side. It might be weak on purpose but it's still weak.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
As a rough draft it's alright. We'll have to see what they actually launch with. I assume that 125% loot modifier means 25% more loot which means most raid targets will have an extra thing on them. I can understand them not wanting to just always run tons of bonus loot after Mischief and Vaniki but that shit really was cash. Two months of Classic with virtually no carrot is really weird. In regards to encounter locking is it going to be on every single mob in the game? At level one are you going to be encounter locking every bat you pull? That sounds shitty.

It looks like what we've got is a little sugar at the start when numbers are high and than an increasing incentive for people to stick around. It also gives some incentives to show up to a server later or make a return. He bro, c'mon back. It's double loot now. There's also 50% bonus exp on. AAs are way way faster. Etc.

But it is on the weak side. It might be weak on purpose but it's still weak.

Guessing getting multiple characters to 50 with the increasing exp bonus is the "carrot" for classic.

Kind of weird server, though. It's basically encounter locking which would be pretty terrible by itself, plus a bunch of little bonuses over time

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Legacy characters: *shrug*. The benefits from having high-level characters around to plvl or simply buff you exceeds a measly 20% bonus. I don't know what problem this is supposed to fix. A more fun buff would be to create a special AA per class that you can use if you have a max-level character with it. Like, you get a max-level SK and can trigger a 30s long 5% lifeleech buff every 10 minutes. Because try-hards of course want to maintain 16 high level characters per account.

Evolving Benefits: I'm guessing this is there to motivate people to stick with a server? I'm surprised they want that because I thought they made their money from TLP hoppers. Either way the idea of playing on a server where everything explodes in a shower of loot is kinda boring

Encounter locking: I can see how this fixes a problem of KSers, but it creates other problems and limits friendly player interaction. No longer can I rush in to help a player who is in over their head. Feels like it just lowers the threshold at which a player can troll. Instead of running in with a 6box of mage/nec/sk/whatever to big dick someone I can just steal a mob and kite them around indefinitely.

• 2Like

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
So it's a Phinny clone and nothing else. So much for being something new LOL.

Oakwynd is an turbo OP Bow from a GM event.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
I cant wait to go to a key camp or epic camp and just agro the mob for hours to not let others progress.

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf