EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Even if it worked "perfectly" it's still a terrible solution that wouldn't even solve the problem. The people that dominate spawns will still do it, just slightly differently.

If they want to stop the bitching then tweaking more epic bottlenecks and increasing spawn times would be much simpler and actually address the problem directly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Even if it worked "perfectly" it's still a terrible solution that wouldn't even solve the problem. The people that dominate spawns will still do it, just slightly differently.

If they want to stop the bitching then tweaking more epic bottlenecks and increasing spawn times would be much simpler and actually address the problem directly.

You're going to be three hours in to your premade after a typically shitty launch where you have to fight just to get everyone online on the same page in the same zone and an encounter is going to bug and wipe the group and the Cleric is going to /q on the spot and never log back on to Oakwynd again. It's one thing for some new gimmick to not be to everyone's liking. It's an entirely different kind of thing if it's just a buggy piece of vomited shit. The second time you all have to run to the zone out because something became impossible to damage it's going to be a real fucking problem for momentum and morale.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Anyone on test having that choppy lag that the video has too?

Yeah and I had the UI flicker as well. I found it incredibly annoying.

I didn't know that if your puller dropped group the mob would only remain locked to him and the group would be fucked. I know the plan is to have shit soft unlock if it is attacking you but we've got a couple examples now of that just not working. Breaking a lock with heals looked super, super easy. You can imagine on any raid target you just have your clerics heal their tank and it's right back to race. The first time a raid gets fucked out of something they engaged first from this it's going to feel really bad. Kiting a quest mob or a boss or something? Better block every single beneficial spell in the game ahead of time.

Trying to thread the needle here on not allowing people to attack a thing but also letting them defend themselves is such a mess.

BardLight

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Bruh if you think I am boxing Elaida to 50 you are crazy :)
We need a server event where Darkpaw pits you against some other "EQ celebrity". Then the server lets everyone else vote on the winner of a race to 50. If you picked the right person, you get a 4 hour 100% xp potion or something.

BardLight

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah and I had the UI flicker as well. I found it incredibly annoying.

I didn't know that if your puller dropped group the mob would only remain locked to him and the group would be fucked. I know the plan is to have shit soft unlock if it is attacking you but we've got a couple examples now of that just not working. Breaking a lock with heals looked super, super easy. You can imagine on any raid target you just have your clerics heal their tank and it's right back to race. The first time a raid gets fucked out of something they engaged first from this it's going to feel really bad. Kiting a quest mob or a boss or something? Better block every single beneficial spell in the game ahead of time.

Trying to thread the needle here on not allowing people to attack a thing but also letting them defend themselves is such a mess.
Yikes. If you don't mind me asking, how beefy is your EQ rig? This choppy lag scares me. Makes me feel like I'm on a boat or something.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Oh. I never play there, so had no idea. Thanks.

1683779769451.png

Test is free so you can go check it out and see what it runs like for you and compare it to the actual game.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
I wonder if there is additional debugger shit on the test server like there was on aradune during launch. I'm not sure if that can also be remotely enabled in the client. I was on test a bit tonight and didn't really notice it (2080ti), but I was also riding around on a snow bunny so who the fuck knows since the screen was already shaking like a mother fucker.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
That is fucking hilarious right there. Monk pulls mobs on to you, FDs, and the mobs attack you but you can't damage them. Gold status griefing incoming lol.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sounds like if you dont play a FD class, youre gonna have a hard time lol

• 2Like

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
According to devs, there are two 'features' that are not working on Test atm:

1) When a mob spawns it is immune to interaction for a certain amount of time. I think this is to counter MQ2 targeting and clicky spam. As it stands right now, a group of random people standing around can dps race the mob down before the tick that sets the FTE status, meaning it's a pure DPS race. Who knows how that will behave once their 'protection' goes live. Also, I want to know what kind of other scripts will break down the line with that fundamental spawn change (for example, bees in sky, etc).

2) If a mob attacks you, you will have the ability to respond to the mob. This means if a mob attacks you, the encounter will break and the mob will become FFA which means it's just a DPS race. Right now this seems to only be applying at certain times and is ignoring certain things in the calculation. In general, it seems like the 'checks' for breaking an encounter are not firing as often as they should. For example, runing and sitting next to a target on pull will break the encounter 100% of the time. If you are able to peel mobs onto someone but remain out of melee range, the mob will still attack someone lower on the hate list than you, and since they're lower, it will not break the encounter and they are stuck tanking an invincible mob.

Either way, FTE is extremely simple to break and results in mobs just being DPS races. If there was any OW competition on this server, I would imagine that every contested target would be broken way before 50% in almost every case just due to all the ways to break encounter locking (read "protection against invincible mobs").

1683820312809.png

1683820279646.png

1683820413069.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

1) When a mob spawns it is immune to interaction for a certain amount of time. I think this is to counter MQ2 targeting and clicky spam. As it stands right now, a group of random people standing around can dps race the mob down before the tick that sets the FTE status, meaning it's a pure DPS race. Who knows how that will behave once their 'protection' goes live. Also, I want to know what kind of other scripts will break down the line with that fundamental spawn change (for example, bees in sky, etc).

2) If a mob attacks you, you will have the ability to respond to the mob. This means if a mob attacks you, the encounter will break and the mob will become FFA which means it's just a DPS race. Right now this seems to only be applying at certain times and is ignoring certain things in the calculation. In general, it seems like the 'checks' for breaking an encounter are not firing as often as they should. For example, runing and sitting next to a target on pull will break the encounter 100% of the time. If you are able to peel mobs onto someone but remain out of melee range, the mob will still attack someone lower on the hate list than you, and since they're lower, it will not break the encounter and they are stuck tanking an invincible mob.

Either way, FTE is extremely simple to break and results in mobs just being DPS races. If there was any OW competition on this server, I would imagine that every contested target would be broken way before 50% in almost every case just due to all the ways to break encounter locking (read "protection against invincible mobs").
Gotta be pretty dismal to push to fix this out when the playerbase hates the concept of it even with a perfect implementation. Just watching the video Jasper posted of mobs locking and being inaccessible to other players is personally revolting.

Best thing the EQ devs can do for the long-term health of the game is not try and get this working, lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist

Even if it has a moment of interaction immunity on spawn, the MQ2 script will still tag it faster than a human the moment it is available to be FTE'd. A human will never beat a bot to tag the mob.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty