EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Dr4goonDirk

Potato del Grande
I don't care about how badly Gaybreak missed a layup I will be playing. What is the objective best true-box class duo if your goal is to dominate Classic and Kunark? Obscure and hipster answer welcomed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't care about how badly Gaybreak missed a layup I will be playing. What is the objective best true-box class duo if your goal is to dominate Classic and Kunark? Obscure and hipster answer welcomed.

I have never boxed, although I would like to try. I always seem to hear Cleric / Enchanter though. Curious what people think too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr4goonDirk

Potato del Grande
I have never boxed, although I would like to try. I always seem to hear Cleric / Enchanter though. Curious what people think too.
I will be wayyyyyyyy too high (inb4 dude weed) to be both the CC and the main healer. I do agree in terms of pure utility that is most likely number one. Instant group priority.

• 1Like

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
If you don't want to be CC and main healer go for Shaman/Monk for buffs/slows. Or Shadowknight/Shaman.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Depends what you wanna do. Druid for port and buffs is a good box, bard for all the buff songs and CC is good. Shaman + any melee is a great combo. Cleric and mage is good too.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I always liked Ranger and Shaman myself. Yeah I know, ranger, ha ha, but I find the utility of the ranger to be very valuable. Prob not as high of DPS as monk, but the utility rangers bring to the table more than makes up for the loss of deeps.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If you don't want to be CC and main healer go for Shaman/Monk for buffs/slows. Or Shadowknight/Shaman.

SK+Shaman+Bard is IMO the best combination. If only doing two, drop bard.

Funny thing is I don't think I've actually ever done this combination. Zerker+Shaman+Bard, Monk+Shaman+Bard, SK+Shaman+Wizard, but not the trio I think would work the best, yet.

But yeah, SK/Shaman/Bard is S-tier and doesn't particularly have any weaknesses, except lack of ports early on perhaps and there might be a phase of time where the lack of CH becomes a problem. DPS might also be a slight issue, in that the DPS won't be sky-high or anything until the Bard gets their four elemental DoT song lines, whenever that is. Can't remember. SK and Shaman can both bang out some solid DPS early if one knows what they're doing though.

mkopec mkopec Ranger/Shaman/Bard would probably also rock early on and would certainly be different. Harmony etc would make up for the lack of FD for pulls until the Bard gets their pulling tools. Though in later expansions it will run into the same problem Zerker/Shaman/Bard runs into where your main tank can't really tank things anymore even if raid-geared. So SK/Shm/Bard excels from start to finish, but Ranger tank is probably more fun in early expansions (when most people actually play)

• 1Like

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Ranger tank was good fun up to GoD era.

With glyphs any class can tank raid bosses if they can hold agro. Flame lick is amazing for keeping the mob locked on you. I had a blast on selo tanking various plane of time mobs then it hit a wall with mob damage output in GoD,

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
Ranger tank was good fun up to GoD era.

With glyphs any class can tank raid bosses if they can hold agro. Flame lick is amazing for keeping the mob locked on you. I had a blast on selo tanking various plane of time mobs then it hit a wall with mob damage output in GoD,
Glyphs make a lot of shit fun and goofy. We used to have a wizard tank PoTime bosses with them.

• 1Worf

RonTheDude

Silver Squire
I always liked Ranger and Shaman myself. Yeah I know, ranger, ha ha, but I find the utility of the ranger to be very valuable. Prob not as high of DPS as monk, but the utility rangers bring to the table more than makes up for the loss of deeps.

I don't think a ranger is going to get close to a monk dps wise for a few xpacs, but I'll always pick ranger over monk to play personally.

I just like the class more.

• 1Solidarity

Needless

Toe Sucker
I hate being the designated puller every group or i'd be a ranger/monk lol
im torn if i wanna go full gay and do a wizard this round or go back and be an enchanter since i havent done that since whatever that POP server was called

RonTheDude

Silver Squire
Honestly sounds like a pretty chill server with a pretty neat way to Twink, almost as good as mischief was.

Skipping trash and easy splits will make running a few lockouts a night doable, which means if you don't have alts you'll be at a disadvantage.

On the flip side though you can get some real sweet alt groups going pretty easily.

Leveling up with your mains raid gear will be super fast. You might actually see people not buying a race change in kunark.

Bonus points if epics are included.

I'm real curious if the faction adjustment for encounter locked mobs stays in effect, I feel that is an oversight and a huge deal but I won't mind at all if it stays in.

As usual though, it all depends on who plays oakwynd, fte raiding is real p99 shitbaggery and I can see a lot of people getting pissed having their shit sniped. Instance raiding should be better than ever, never made sense why lockouts were account wide.
I've seen what I think is a change to raid ids so that you can raid with multiple characters on the same account. Am I understanding that correctly?

Combine that with being able to trade gear and OW content becomes a lot less important.

I feel like I'm missing something though.

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The other thing I have been thinking about... Let's say you two box on Oakwynd. How would you set up your alts, to take advantage of the legacy rules? Say I did a Cleric / Enchanter. Would make sense to have alts that can take advantage of their gear and box well with the other account. So, maybe plate class ( Bard ? ) on the cleric account and int caster ( maybe mage or SK ) on the enchanter account? Feels like it makes since to have a tank on the non cleric account. Anyway, it does add another layer of thought when boxing and /or creating alts. I'm still kinda butt hurt over this FTE thing, but this might actually be a good server for me to play around with other classes and try 2 boxing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
ENC/DRU, looting CLR gear on DRU account. Swap it to CLR a few expansions down the line once you need CH to keep pets up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Shaman + Any pet class or melee that isn't a Rogue, even then ive seen people make that work but using the rogue as a pet while shaman tanks.

Enchanter + Any priest.

Paladin + Shaman, Druid or Enchanter

SK/Paladin/Ranger + Bard

P99 nerds have a decent duo tier list people could refer to as well.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
The other thing I have been thinking about... Let's say you two box on Oakwynd. How would you set up your alts, to take advantage of the legacy rules? Say I did a Cleric / Enchanter. Would make sense to have alts that can take advantage of their gear and box well with the other account. So, maybe plate class ( Bard ? ) on the cleric account and int caster ( maybe mage or SK ) on the enchanter account? Feels like it makes since to have a tank on the non cleric account. Anyway, it does add another layer of thought when boxing and /or creating alts. I'm still kinda butt hurt over this FTE thing, but this might actually be a good server for me to play around with other classes and try 2 boxing.
Just copy the exact same classes over and over to make it super easy. Later on a lot of visible slots won’t be shared between classes.

• 1Like