EQ2 TLE - Varsoon server

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
TBH I'm sort of tempted to do this instead of the EQ1 TLP this year, unless the EQ1 TLP has an amazing ruleset.

Time is my worst enemy, like I can do a launch but I usually fall off after a couple weeks because I barely have time to play my 1P games at the rate I want to IRL. So I don't know, but I've always wanted to check out EQ2 so...

Questions:

-What's the difference between TLE and TLP?

-What's the timeframe on this EQ2 TLE "reaching live" or whatever the case may be? Like how much time can I expect to be subbed?

-Can you play for like, an hour a day (max) and make solid/quick progress? I can nolife launch (for like, two days / 30 hours) but after that it'll be an hour every couple days probably.

-Is it even worth playing to live, or is there a good stopping point where you've seen most of the good content?

I tried this back in the day when I think Desert of Flames was the current expac, or maybe Kunark. I just know I was an iksar monk, got to level 15 or so, the game just wasn't keeping me interested and the ability bloat was obnoxious. Before I left, I did make my way to the Desert of Flames zones somehow and I was amazed at how gorgeous they looked.

This might be the only real major chance I ever have to run through EQ2 (if the ruleset pops a high population) so I might have to. I don't know. I've still been trying to make room for LOTRO going on ten years now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I could answer a few. TLE = Time Locked Expansion. If I remember correctly previous TLEs ended up merging into live server eventually after a few years. There are plenty of casuals guild in TLE, you'll do just fine.

Kingdom of Sky, Echoes of Faydwer, and Rise of Kunark are the best EQ2 expansions with epic raids & quests, The Shadow Odyssey is also pretty cool. I never played the rest unfortunately so not sure.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I could answer a few. TLE = Time Locked Expansion. If I remember correctly previous TLEs ended up merging into live server eventually after a few years. There are plenty of casuals guild in TLE, you'll do just fine.

Kingdom of Sky, Echoes of Faydwer, and Rise of Kunark are the best EQ2 expansions with epic raids & quests, The Shadow Odyssey is also pretty cool. I never played the rest unfortunately so not sure.

Oh, I think Kingdom of Sky was what I saw, not Desert of Flames. Or maybe it was both. I think Kunark was also out cause I was an iksar.

I think Echoes of Faydwer had either just come out or was about to.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I seem to remember ability combos including combos between players. Is that a core gameplay element?

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Definitely interested in this. Is the notorious ability bloat not as bad originally? Hopefully...
EQ2 has a LOT of abilities. You get them from leveling up your class as well as from the AAs you choose. If you tried to put them all individually on hotbars, you would end up with four or five hotbars by the time you hit Live.

The good news is that EQ2 also has a pretty good hotbar macro system built in. I figure out which abilities work good together, and put them all in one macro on my main hotbar. So, I will have like a button for damage, one for debuffs, another for stuns, etc. It will fire off the abilities from top to bottom when you press the button for that macro. It will queue up to 1 ability (1 current and 1 to fire off after that one). Then it will stop executing that macro. Hit the key again, and it will start at the top again, and go down skipping any that are on cool down.

I then create some hotbars and make them as small as possible, and put all of the abilities for each macro in to those hotbars. That way when I click the macro button on my main hotbar, I see the cooldowns of the abilities in that macro visually by looking at the small hotbars I created. In this way, I have 1 button to press (for damage as an example), and I can see what abilities in that macro are on cool down, so I know whether to press it again.

In short... yes EQ2 has ability bloat, but it is possible to manage that bloat to your advantage. EQ2 has a lot more than just pew pew pew going for it.

-What's the difference between TLE and TLP?
It's essentially the exact same thing except someone named it TLE in EQ2 and TLP in EQ1 because reasons.

-What's the timeframe on this EQ2 TLE "reaching live" or whatever the case may be? Like how much time can I expect to be subbed?
I could be wrong, but their last TLE server, Kaladim, was started in 2020 I think, and it is in it's 7th expansion right now. I have no idea how long it will take to reach Live, but from what I am told, most TLE servers end up getting merged in to a Live server at some point when the population gets really low.

EQ2 TLE suffers from the exact same burn out issue as EQ1 TLP servers.

For the most part, the Faydwer expansion and Kunark expansion are well worth sticking around for on the server. Faydwer is mega nostalgia, and Kunark has epic weapons that look pretty bad ass.

-Can you play for like, an hour a day (max) and make solid/quick progress? I can nolife launch (for like, two days / 30 hours) but after that it'll be an hour every couple days probably.
Yes. 100% yes. EQ2 pretty much nailed the ability to be a casual gamer and still play with your friends and catch up pretty easily.

One of the best features in EQ2 for this is the mentoring system. Basically, you can group with your friends that are much higher level than you, and they can mentor down to your level. You gain a bonus to your experience from the people mentoring you. While they are mentoring you, their gear still works and their abilities work. All the mobs that were gray con to them before they mentored you now are conning what ever they would at that level. In this way, the people that mentor you can also get credit for killing named mobs for the first time that they missed when they were leveling up (killing named mobs for the first time gives you AA experience).

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Definitely interested in this. Is the notorious ability bloat not as bad originally? Hopefully...
It's still bad and you should expect it to get worse with each added expansion.

Thankfully you only end up using a handful on most classes. But it's ugly to stare at and the game is pretty much not stream friendly as a result.

I seem to remember ability combos including combos between players. Is that a core gameplay element?

Heroic Opportunities may get revamped later this year. GIven existing trends with revamps, don't expect it to be balanced and possibly even monetized.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Wait, is Kerafyrm in this? I was looking through the expansions and it looks like Kerafyrm is the bad guy of the Tears of Veeshan expansion? I didn't know he ever did anything outside of EQ1, specifically Velious and SOF.

1647473523745.png

Found this screenshot. If that's him, he looks like a regular dragon. Why no crystalline?

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
God, I installed the game and all of my characters are horrific looking, shiny like they're made of injection molded plastic.

Also all of my character names were suffixed with a W and I have more characters than slots, even though I pay these fucks their monthly tithe.

Goonsquad Officer
God, I installed the game and all of my characters are horrific looking, shiny like they're made of injection molded plastic.

Also all of my character names were suffixed with a W and I have more characters than slots, even though I pay these fucks their monthly tithe.
Melted gi Joe's go!

• 1Worf

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
To think that people critiqued WoW for looking cartoony that played this game in on launch lmao

This game aged poorly but WoW didn't graphically.

Both aged poorly.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
In my opinion, I think that EQ2 aged better than many MMOs when you consider it started out as a steaming pile of shit.

The first couple expansions were meh in my opinion, but the 3rd and 4th expansions, Echoes of Faydwer and Rise of Kunark, greatly helped correct the course of the game in my opinion.

Over time, they slowly got rid of the stupid design decisions, and made great progress. The character models do leave something to be desired, but you can choose the alternate model option for most races if you are in to the Asian aesthetic look. If anything, the game could really benefit from another race model revamp for sure, but once you put a helm on, you see less of the ugly faces anyway LOL.

I don't know. I just feel like EQ2 got overlooked by many because it was a shit pile for so many years there in the beginning. It's actually aged in to a really decent MMO that bridges the gap between old school EQ and the loller-skate roflcopter WoW style. With right team in charge, it could develop in to a really good game yet, but... who knows if this is the right team.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll probably give it a go as well, never did play back in the day so it will be interesting to see how it progressed. No idea what are the good classes in tle though. I liked the assassin, was easy to setup macros. But i'll play a zerker of we need a tank though.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Forbidden Chaos is looking for a few more to join the raid force if anyone is looking for a guild.

I'm not running the guild, so unrussle your panties and sit back down. They'll be downing all raid content quickly in era, so if you want to experience everything EQ2 has to offer, hit em up.

They are looking for the following types, but no classes are closed yet:
  • Coarser
  • Illusionist
  • Templer
  • Inquisitor
  • Fury
  • Warden
  • Dirge
  • Troubadour
You can hit up their discord here Join the Forbidden Chaos Discord Server!.

For the record, I am going to be playing a Dirge named Risiko of course.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Forbidden Chaos is looking for a few more to join the raid force if anyone is looking for a guild.

I'm not running the guild, so unrussle your panties and sit back down. They'll be downing all raid content quickly in era, so if you want to experience everything EQ2 has to offer, hit em up.

They are looking for the following types, but no classes are closed yet:
  • Coarser
  • Illusionist
  • Templer
  • Inquisitor
  • Fury
  • Warden
  • Dirge
  • Troubadour
You can hit up their discord here Join the Forbidden Chaos Discord Server!.

For the record, I am going to be playing a Dirge named Risiko of course.

Fun classes are all gone, those are all support/healer. I'll raid if you still accept Wiz

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I forgot how bad the graphics are in this game. I logged in a few days ago to get familiar again and wow, couldnt last 10 minutes.