EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
What game sold access to a beta that hasn't even started yet? What game sold access to alpha? I can see little kickstarter companies or super small dev teams doing it, maybe, but not big house developers. Buying into beta is nothing new, but its always been later in the phases(After alpha and beta has been going on for a while). This is a new low and gamers are there to just lap it up.

Alpha squad was only $40, was offered what 3-4 months before release, beta had long been going on already and came with 4,000 station cash, which is $40 by itself. The station cash can be used in any SOE game. Not even close to this crap.
I agree, alpha squad was a much better offer. I think my previous post said the same though.

I'm not going to spend an hour finding out if any "big house developer" has done it before, I refered to games in general including indie or whathaveyou. Most prominent would be Star Citizen I suppose, where I actually bought the game with alpha and a specific ship with much less info about the game. Hell I think even now a year later details on Star Citizen are more sketchy then on Landmark or EQN, and they collected over $25 mill from people. What do small south sea islands go for these days?

Alpha and beta are marketing terms now, SOE could have sold it under the exact same conditions just replacing "alpha" with "first wave closed beta" and it would've been better? They decided to call it alpha because marketing wants to emphasize how well the fans are integrated into the development process right from the start, that's the reason it's "alpha". If their priority had been to reduce forum whines about it they would have called it "premium edition" and added the early access bullet point at end instead emphasizing it.

Point is, they take your money without giving you facts to judge the product/service you're buying with, and that is not new. I actually find it less shady then the lifetime access deals that were sold at the tail end of the subscription age, before F2P took over.

One day gamers will open their wallets to take a spot for a live stream of the yearly SoE live, where they have gray ponytail and obese smed praising the newest installments of AAA franchise titles.
Yeah and some will lap it up and even defend that.
Old news

xzi

Mouthbreather
The little UI they showed for templates seems like it holds enough space to save multiple templates, which I hope is the case. I as well am probably gonna start off building shit other than just walls just to save them.

I'm going to aim for building a little open temple near the top but partly inside of a mountain if I can get a spot. There are multiple Biomes though so idunno.. hard choice!

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
this first thing someone should create is a shelter for everyone to go to who got sucker balled into paying $100 for an alpha....

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Gonna be making a super sweet hobbit hole first, then an Erudite Temple to Vazaelle in the style of Old Paineel. Then, once AI and MOBs are in I'm gonna make a twisting cave dungeon that is the innards of a giant fossilized crocodile thing. Would be super legit if it could be populated with MOBs so I hope they add that feature.

xzi

Mouthbreather
They're claiming that it will be added in the game, I can't wait for mobs either. I wonder if you can end up getting multiple plots so you can actually make a big chunk of dungeon that random people can wander into. Fuck, that would be so baller.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Then, once AI and MOBs are in I'm gonna make a twisting cave dungeon that is the innards of a giant fossilized crocodile thing. Would be super legit if it could be populated with MOBs so I hope they add that feature.
So 6 months after launch at minimum, since they already said no combat till after Launch.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Hold on, you guys are paying SOE to build their game for them?
Kinda.

I mean, part of the reasons I personally purchased is because I have loved every EQ game and I'm excited to play this new one ASAP.

The other reason is that I intend to be heavily involved in player studio. Paying to get in on day 1 of Alpha is going to give me quite a bit of a competitive advantage over Mithrandir_567 on launch day. When you consider the fact that SOE is giving you 20% of revenue generated from your work? Well, I'm sure you can see the income potential. I expect my $100 to pay for itself quite quickly, unless of course, I end up sucking at Landmark (I won't).

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
They're claiming that it will be added in the game, I can't wait for mobs either. I wonder if you can end up getting multiple plots so you can actually make a big chunk of dungeon that random people can wander into. Fuck, that would be so baller.
Sure, but that'll be $10 per plot and if you dont want to speed a few weeks gathering materials and making flair, then another $40 buying it from the cash shop / other players heh. Who knows how this'll be monetized but I would guess something along those lines?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I'm still waiting for someone to provide a reason as to why this is so offensive.

Nobody who bought alpha access is paying to test a game, I guarantee it. People are paying because they are excited about the game, and want to play it as soon as possible, no matter what state it is in. Perhaps they want the advantage of extra time with the dev tools so they can get better at producing content than launch day players, thus giving them an advantage in player studio.

In my case, EverQuest is probably one of my favourite IPs, and I have never gotten to be a part of an EQ game from day one. Even at EQ launch people spoke of Beta and I was always jelly as shit. In my opinion, $100 for that opportunity is pretty attractive, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
You make it sound like you're paying for EQ beta and will therefore relive your first MMO experience.

Someone mentioned earlier that people trying to pay to be part of the cool kid circle are fooling themselves.

Also, I have some fabric and thread that I'll be turning into a coat. Can I get you guys to pay me for the finished product? I'll let you wear what I have so far! I promise it'll be badass when I'm done
wink.png

Oh and I'm going to need you to pay twice as much. Tee hee. I'll bedazzle the sleeves tho, so it's worth it. Totes promise
wink.png

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You can definitely connect multiple plots. That was part of my motivation for starting this thread. Maybe we can coordinate something early on. Not a co-OP build, but agreed upon adjacent locations for closed beta. Then, when we get more plots we can move off individually again, and combine the large previous area into a big rerolled co-OP project.

Would be pretty sweet.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm definitely down for multiple plots. I know they've mentioned giving permissions on your plot to other players which I enjoy because a friend and I were going to work together on something once it launches. I have to wonder how certain tools would work though, like could I for an example smooth out parts of your building and vice versa? There's gotta be more options than just "friends only / open to public / closed" I hope.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Also, I have some fabric and thread that I'll be turning into a coat. Can I get you guys to pay me for the finished product? I'll let you wear what I have so far! I promise it'll be badass when I'm done
You got that all wrong: Once the coat is done we get it for free, just being allowed to play with the yarn costs $100... I guess we have alot of kittens here =)