EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

misery_sl

shitlord
what

too early to tell where they will take this, but not too early to get your $100? a sucker says what?
Thank you for helping me see the wrongness in my ways oh wise one. I will now ask for a refund.

I didn't realize that some people here take 100 bucks so seriously, and I was wrong for underestimating the values. Christmas is coming, and perhaps some people might be reflecting their own insecurities upon those of us who are fortunate enough to throw our money at the things that we might enjoy. This saddens me. I will take that one hundred dollars back, and with it I will change the world by donating it to starving children in Africa. Thank you for helping me to see the light through your wise words.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I can't wait to see the billion building posts on reddit or the likes to see what people create in this, ahh, I get excited looking at pre-alpha videos.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I can't wait to see the billion building posts on reddit or the likes to see what people create in this, ahh, I get excited looking at pre-alpha videos.
Can't wait man. People are going to make incredible stuff with these tools.

Zionmaster_sl

shitlord
Going Alpha Trailblazer myself. Seems like a really good deal to me although obviously others disagree here. Landmark is shaping up to be exactly what I pretty much wished minecraft could have been so it's a no brainer for me. I spent more on bf4 collectors+ premium and I honestly feel like the founder pack is a better deal and ill most likely end up playing it a lot more.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Okay, this is even more ridiculous than I thought: you PAY to get into alpha/beta early to create CONTENT for a FREE2PLAY game? Come on. EQ nostalgia gone too far.
Also, really, this new trend - trove e.g. - to let "the community" create content for your clueless developers is the new thing, right? This will work, if at all, only for a short period of time.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Gonna be making a super sweet hobbit hole first, then an Erudite Temple to Vazaelle in the style of Old Paineel. Then, once AI and MOBs are in I'm gonna make a twisting cave dungeon that is the innards of a giant fossilized crocodile thing. Would be super legit if it could be populated with MOBs so I hope they add that feature.
Is there a video/explanation on what you expect to get from EQ Land Mark?
Is it just creative mode where you build things and... that's all?

Do you need to gather resources (at least some game there) or is it just infinite resources for you to create whatever you want?

SOE lost me at Madagascar Lion in their previous announcement last August.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Okay, this is even more ridiculous than I thought: you PAY to get into alpha/beta early to create CONTENT for a FREE2PLAY game? Come on. EQ nostalgia gone too far.
Also, really, this new trend - trove e.g. - to let "the community" create content for your clueless developers is the new thing, right? This will work, if at all, only for a short period of time.
Have you looked at games like DOTA or TF2, both free games, both that the community creates content faster and better than the devs themselves.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Is there a video/explanation on what you expect to get from EQ Land Mark?
Is it just creative mode where you build things and... that's all?

Do you need to gather resources (at least some game there) or is it just infinite resources for you to create whatever you want?
For now yes, Landmark will basically be creative mode Minecraft though you will have to gather the resources to build. No mobs, fighting, etc. At some indeterminate point in the future once they integrate combat and give the players access to the AI tools I can see a shit ton of possibilities for this game.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Have you looked at games like DOTA or TF2, both free games, both that the community creates content faster and better than the devs themselves.
That's the main point. Content we can make for ourselves. It doesn't have to fit what everyone likes especially here. I can play some old school but I also like the thought of getting my creative juices flowing and this game looks to be one way to do that. It's going to be interesting and that's more than I've heard from MMO developers in ages.

Skanda,

Exactly. We are excited about the possibilities just like KS advocates. This game has promise as does EQN. I'll pay some money for an upgraded minecraft with many more possibilities.

Zionmaster_sl

shitlord
The whole point of landmark IS to create content so I don't understand why this is used as some type of argument.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I wonder if the "claim a stake" flag item is going to cost money at launch, and if so, how much. Like, if they're $20 a pop I guess the low tier could pay for itself. I kind of see this being a thing, so that people don't make 1 million alts and combine their stakes. The problem here is we're just lacking so much information. Something like in-game currency worth the buy in would sell me, but "get name in credits" doesn't.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I could be giving SEO too much credit, no I most definitely am, but it makes sense on at least one, and probably only one, level.

Testers that pay for access are invested to a point where they're going to buy and play the end game.

Therefore their input is already pretty valuable. They represent a part of the gaming community that is passionate about their game.

It's either a creative way to get passionate testers or a money grab that will end badly.

Time will tell.

Couloir_sl

shitlord
Pretty sure their train of thought is that they simply can't create enough content by themselves to keep up with consumption. The current content cycle just isn't sustainable in the long run anymore.

If you're interested in some of the ideas that are behind their approach,listen to this. I think it offers some decent insight into their plans.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on one of these early adopter packs, and before I do I wanna say for the hardcore bro record that this shit is a fucking cash grab. It's a sham, a travesty, and a mockery. A goddamn travashamockery. Curse you Smedley, you sly dog.

But who am I kidding, game looks rad. I've been waiting for it to happen for years. EQ name arguably brings with it the largest adult playerbase that I'd prefer to play this kinda game with. I want in on the ground floor. If it doesn't pan out, no big deal.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I could be giving SEO too much credit, no I most definitely am, but it makes sense on at least one, and probably only one, level.

Testers that pay for access are invested to a point where they're going to buy and play the end game.

Therefore their input is already pretty valuable. They represent a part of the gaming community that is passionate about their game.

It's either a creative way to get passionate testers or a money grab that will end badly.

Time will tell.
See i would weigh it completely different.
Their opinion on stuff doesnt count for jack shit they allready forked over their most prescious (cash) upfront. Who cares if theirs demands are matched now or in the future?
You need to please the ones who havent opened their wallets yet.
You want valuable testers? pick some shown true dedication not a Benjamin Franklin.
Its like taking high roller tipps from someone who has lost fortune at vegas allready claiming their next roll at the slot machine will net them millions.

Zionmaster_sl

shitlord
See i would weigh it completely different.
Their opinion on stuff doesnt count for jack shit they allready forked over their most prescious (cash) upfront. Who cares if theirs demands are matched now or in the future?
You need to please the ones who havent opened their wallets yet.
You want valuable testers? pick some shown true dedication not a Benjamin Franklin.
Its like taking high roller tipps from someone who has lost fortune at vegas allready claiming their next roll at the slot machine will net them millions.
I disagree. The people forking over cash now are going to be the ones supporting this game with more cash in the future. The people who are unwlling to spend cash now for whatever reasons they claim it's not worth spending are the same kind of people who won't spend any cash later or very little. From a business perspective im going to listen to the people willing to hand me money now before the game is even released.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm sure the guy that paid for alpha is going to report the bugged harvest node that yeilds more than it should...They will right?!

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I disagree. The people forking over cash now are going to be the ones supporting this game with more cash in the future. The people who are unwlling to spend cash now for whatever reasons they claim it's not worth spending are the same kind of people who won't spend any cash later or very little. From a business perspective im going to listen to the people willing to hand me money now before the game is even released.
That's totally false made up bullshit. Come on man. I'm willing to test games for free and if it's good I'll pay to play it. I'm NOT willing to pay a company to alpha/beta test their game on the hope it'll end up being good. That right there is simply foolish.

It's one thing if the company has showed its hand and has tons of information out there. But this isn't the case. They've kept shit secret and quiet and revealed next to nothing but a few nuggets. And it's insulting to ask people to pay in advance for them not showing all that much. It reeks of greed and cash grab. This isn't some start up that needs the cash. It's fucking SOE. They have money. They just want more. SOE should be going out of their way to repair all the damage done to their reputations by their past incompetence. Instead, they act smug and continue on as usual. Smed just loves guys like you. Take it up the ass with no lube and thank him for the honor.

Me, I'll pass until they show me something. I think most people just want in to have a leg up on people and track the spoilts for release. Not help make a better game.