EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
even with combat and npcs it will still be primarily a building game, just like Minecraft.
Kind of yes, and kind of no. EQ Landmark is definitely a building game, no buts aboutwhatit is. However, the reason that EQ Landmark exists is because it's a test-bed for the toolset that will be used to build EQ Next, which will (months and months and months from now when EQL's actually "feature complete") give it quite a different feel than Minecraft.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
It's a test bed and we will still be "building" ... which include placing NPCs and "building" quests... it's still going to be driven by our own imaginations. It's not a competition between myself and any other players. Hoarding resources has no affect on any other player considering our goals will likely be completely different. There is no logical explanation to force progression in this game, and thus a wipe is absolutely stupid. No matter how hard stuff becomes, the influx of FTP players will cumulatively gather in a week more resources than this small player base has in the past couple months.

The "millions" of resources we acquire now will have no affect on the future economy.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Right. And not only is the CB playerbase rather small, but the amount of people who spend large amounts of their time just gathering resources is just a fraction of that. I also seriously doubt this game will ever have much of an economy anyway.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
The draw distance really takes alot ouf of more detailed buildings, looks completely goofy from far away. I hope it won't stay like this.

rNbUorm.jpg

gjomMg2.jpg

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Right. And not only is the CB playerbase rather small, but the amount of people who spend large amounts of their time just gathering resources is just a fraction of that. I also seriously doubt this game will ever have much of an economy anyway.
I always get so frustrated when people pigeonhole games like Minecraft, Terraria, Starbound, and Landmark into merely building games.

Yes, they are absolutely building games. But they also have combat, adventure, exploration, crafting, and potentially more that makes them so much more.

Landmark doesn't have combat yet, but it will. Caves are coming, and with it resource scarcity that requires challenge, time, and difficulty to acquire. There is crafting. Hidden blueprints to discover. Mobs and NPC's.

tl;dr
Of course there will be an economy. It's going to be so much more than just a building game.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
No one has said it willonlybe a building game. Just that it'sprimary focuswill be building. And, while they will be adding things that make harvesting resources a bit more time intensive than it is now, it's not going to be that much different. Putting in too much of a timesink to cockblock players who want to build in a game where theprimary focusis building is a good way to drive away players.

I myself get frustrated by people that think Landmark is going to be EQN with building. It's not.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
No one has said it will only be a building game. Just that it's primary focus will be building. And, while they will be adding things that make harvesting resources a bit more time intensive than it is now, it's not going to be that much different. Putting in too much of a timesink to cockblock players who want to build in a game where the primary focus is building is a good way to drive away players.
I don't see how when top tier resources are in the lowest depths of the game world, presumably require combat/exploration to obtain and aren't just 2 clicks/3 minutes away from wherever you log into the game .... will "not be that much different".

Sandbox games don't necessarily have to have a primary focus. That's why they are sandbox games. To me that's as if you said an early version of Ultima Online that mostly focused only on Castle/House building, then everything that came afterwards merely made that part of the game more time intensive and drove away players.

I myself get frustrated by people that think Landmark is going to be EQN with building. It's not.
Correct. It'll be EQN, with building, without the "You're in our world now" Norrath restrictions. Or some Lite version of that which I'm fine with.

I concede I am just thinking out loud and could be totally biased and entirely wrong here. We'll see in 6 months when the game is released and all the features are implemented.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
A very "lite" version. I think you're overlooking the fact that the majority of the "content" is going to be created by the players, not the devs. Remember, they are creating the tools they are going to use to make EQN and giving them to us in Landmark to make our own world. The stuff in caves isn't going to be that extensive, it's just to make it more interesting. And their will only be one class, Adventurer. I don't think throwing in major timesinks to slow down players making content for other players would be very smart.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
A very "lite" version. I think you're overlooking the fact that the majority of the "content" is going to be created by the players, not the devs. Remember, they are creating the tools they are going to use to make EQN and giving them to us in Landmark to make our own world. The stuff in caves isn't going to be that extensive, it's just to make it more interesting. And their will only be one class, Adventurer. I don't think throwing in major timesinks to slow down players making content for other players would be very smart.
An "Adventurer" class can play wildly different depending on whether or not you have a magic wand equipped, a sword, crossbow, or brass knuckles. Again its specificity that we can only speculate about this far from release, which itself is also fairly nebulous.

You're correct though, they have to measure the time sink involved behind their content creation tools.

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I might be the only one, but I'm not really excited about caves. Unless they have a plan to make them more interesting visually, I don't see it being very fun outside of short bursts. With everything above ground, just running around collecting things gives you a good view of the landscape. You come across random people's buildings that you can explore a bit, or rare tree's while you mine, or just find a nice vista to admire their engine. But if you're underground, looking at the same texture for hours, no sunlight, in combination with their lack of an indoor lighting system which makes everything below ground washed out and drab.... it just doesn't sound all that great to me. Also, I like the ability to just run outside my claim and grab a few more resources to continue building without taking 2 hours to mine down to the bottom tier to grab 200 more obsidian.

My fear is that this game is going to fail because it's going to be a cumbersome builder game, and a partial adventure game, not excelling in either category because one handicaps the other.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I would prefer if cave diving was just for "loot" and for mining rare resources for crafting. Not for building resources. I didn't want to build out of boring grey stone, so my design is based around a shitload of obsidian. I mined ~800k of the stuff, and now that's gonna get wiped. I am definitely not looking forward to having to get it again after OB starts. It took too damn long the first time, and the second time is going to take even longer.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
My fear is that this game is going to fail because it's going to be a cumbersome builder game, and a partial adventure game, not excelling in either category because one handicaps the other.
Minecraft has all of the above and look how stupidly popular that has become. Digging around in caves is actually one of, in my opinion, the more fun things to do.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
So I was hanging around spawn and some person came up and gifted me a mithril pick plus a rubicite axe. Pretty easy to gather stuff now, heh. However, the wipe you guys are talking about, will it include tools and accessorys? Cause while the tools I got are great, the seem to be old items which you can't upgrade.
Now if your crafted stuff stays, I'd go ahead and build a new mithril pick, axe etc. Obviously won't do that if absolutely everything will be wiped.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Everything will be wiped except for stuff bought from the cash shop and giveaway items (lunar anklets, feather in a bottle etc.)

bytes

Molten Core Raider
That's really unfortunate, I guess SOE just killed most of their beta population in one fell swoop with that announcement. I don't even feel like continuing anymore, might aswell wait for open beta now.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yup.

I am curious about what exactly prompted them to reveal this now, since I have proof that they've known they were going to do a CB wipe for at least a month, and most likely longer. Seems like it would have been in their best interest (as far as testing data) to wait as long as possible.

Edit: LOL

rrr_img_66534.png

3 Day suspension. Fucking nazis.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Suspension for what, looks like a completely normal post to me. Man am I happy I never paid for testing this game, it's still made by SOE after all.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Suspension for being on the wrong side of a disagreement. Basically, if you are the one defending SOE you get a lot more leeway in what is considered "non-constructive."

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Suspension for being on the wrong side of a disagreement. Basically, if you are the one defending SOE you get a lot more leeway in what is considered "non-constructive."
Jimmies slightly rustled now. I made a reply, they should have handled the FAQ change about wipes way better.