Escape from Tarkov

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
The possible number of PMCs on a map is fixed depending on the map. It says what the range is on screen you choose the maps. You can be spawned late into a raid as a PMC and it sucks ass. Even BSG doesn't really know why.

AI Scavs are infinite depending on the time remaining in a raid. I have spawned as late as 15 minutes left on Interchange as a scav.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Player scavs can only spawn in to a map after a certain amount of time has passed, which is usually 5+ minutes for most maps. Interchange is the exception to this rule for whatever stupid fucking reason and player scavs can spawn basically instantly.

There has to be a living PMC in a raid for player scavs to be able to connect - once all PMCs are gone the game server closes and only people already in that instance are left until they all leave/die.

PMCs always load in to a fresh map, but you can get late spawns depending on how fucked the matchmaking is. If you don't get the "deploying in 20 seconds" countdown then you've spawned in late, which can be like 30-120 seconds after the map started. Different maps hold different amounts of PMCs, factory is like 6 max, while interchange or customs are as many as 12-14.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Well I caved in and got this over the weekend and dabbled a bit. Like most PvP games I get sweaty palms like the little bitch that I am, but I quite enjoyed it. I am definitely not elite material, but I can skulk with the best of them. My first Scav run I ended up killing a couple of my buddies once I got close to an extraction and bailed out right after haha.

I find games like this and Rust and Miscreated and DayZ work to help a couple of things - anger management and and general anxiety. That heightened sense of anxiety as you are skulking around is thrilling but it is nice when you can manage it at decent levels rather than the edge of flight or fight that I generally maintain. And learning not to say "FUCK YOU MOTHER" everytime someone kills you lol.

Edit - Question - When I do Scav runs, should I be thinking about possibly killing my mates as well as the players, or just stalk the players? Or some combination therein?

gauze

Molten Core Raider
If you don't hit the scavs, you won't have to worry about being attacked by them.. which allows you to bait them to some degree. Scav's also don't sprint, so if you want to blend in; that might help. As I mentioned before too, if you can catch a player before he decides to be a gunslinger, if you q/e wiggle.. its like the universal "treaty" sign, but nothing really tells them to honor it.. It's worked for me so far.

Also, depends on your goals. Are you trying to get loot? trying to get rich quick? or practice the gun-game?

I guess my method is, getting loot; try to outlast the timer and players by being a vulture. Rich quick, just finding routes that work for you and can do quick night runs. Or you can go guns blazing, trying to survive and get out.

No real right way, but I personally like to vulture some items and then doing it on my PMC so that my loadout is a little more controlled than the Scavs.

Last edited:

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Scav's also don't sprint,

Not true. They definitely do sprint. They also lean peak/crouch sneak etc. If a PMC does it, a scav can and will do it.

As a scav kililng other scavs can get you some loot but also makes you kos to other scavs within ear shot of you doing it so its a judgement call. Most other scav players seem to just murder all scavs even if there are still PMCs on the map but the playerbase in Tarkov all need helmets. Generally I only kill other scavs as a scav if they have an upgrade I want for the raid be it gun/bag/rig/helmet/armor whatever. Otherwise I leave them be. Not only can they act as armor for you they can also act as alarms.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
This game looked pretty bad back in 2017 but it sure looks good now and I'm happy to see it succeed. However watching streams is so boring lol.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
This is one of those games that I love the idea of and want to try, but know for sure that I would only play for a couple hours before giving up on it for being a "stressful" gaming experience.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Not true. They definitely do sprint. They also lean peak/crouch sneak etc. If a PMC does it, a scav can and will do it.
I guess I should have been a bit more specific.. You're not going to see a scav just sprinting about. They're not going to sprint until they're within a shot radius(or at?).. I haven't seen one sprint to a shooters location yet either. But my scav stalking info is only my experience doing scav factory runs and what I was told by a veteran player.

If i'm wrong, then i'm wrong.. but its what i've seen. Looting, leaning, crouch walking, and so on; I have seen. One took an m4 off my friends corpse outside of gas station.. I had to go find him and get it back.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Feels good wasting a level 50 PMC teaching a level 8 PMC the ropes as a scav lol, was some nice loot too.

• 1Solidarity

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
This is one of those games that I love the idea of and want to try, but know for sure that I would only play for a couple hours before giving up on it for being a "stressful" gaming experience.

Yes. Yes it is. But I tend to enjoy them nonetheless and occasionally one clicks. I hope this one does, it has been fun so far.

Thanks for the Scav discussion. My routine so far has typically been to murder a few of my allies usually close to extract as I said. I am not in this to make quick cash, at least not at present. Just soaking it in at the moment. Haven't had a ton of time to play yet.

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
As a new player:

1. You gon die alot
2. Don't spend lots of money on high end stuff, if you don't understand the game it wont do you any good.
3. Loot laying down in the body
4. Control click things in and out of your inventory
5. Once you kill something and loot it... MOVE. You just made noise other players will hear and come to
6. Learn the maps
7. Listen to the sounds you make as you walk on various things in the environments and catalog them so you know what sounds the OTHER players make
8. Scav everytime its up
9. Upgrade level 1 med center in your hideout to get some innate healing going, combine this with Scaving between deaths to save at least a little money on out of raid healing
10. Do the quests(some are pitas but its worth it)

• 1Like

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Gankak gave good tips, one I would add off the top of my head is don't go to loot a body right away. Pause and listen and look around, because if anyone was somewhat near they will be moving/looking towards all the noise you made.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

gauze

Molten Core Raider
A dump pouch is going to be nice, I keep throwing my mag below half on the ground when moving fight to fight.

Pretty stoked about upcoming focus on weight and sound.

Comments also talked about Nik thinking of doing resets on a seasons format, that could be interesting.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Man I can't wait for them to fix the matchmaking times, haven't gotten to play my PMC in a good bit because of it. But scav works fine for the most part

• 1Like

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Man, I usually hate watching streams.. kinda always had that "i'd rather play" mentality, but watching DrDisrespect, Summit, co, and quattro.. is quite fun. It hurts because I should be able to swing with the big boys.. but fuck.. this gear fear shit is real.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Man I can't wait for them to fix the matchmaking times, haven't gotten to play my PMC in a good bit because of it. But scav works fine for the most part

it boggles my mind people are playing with these q's

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea they are brutal during prime time right now. Any kind of squad queue is easy 10+ minutes. I don't really do anything but solo lab/interchange right now cause it's all that will fire in a reasonable amount of time.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Personally I prefer fairtx for hilarious videos and pestily for informative videos. I like Veritas in small ish doses.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Choco and reid downed a PMC who had an iCase with a weapons case inside, meds, bunch of stuff. IR helmet attachment worth $2m alone.

edit: turns out the guy was a streamer, they checked the dog tag and a couple hundred viewers went to follow him, he was geeking out.

Last edited:
  • 1Like