Everquest - 20th Anniversary TLP

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
As servers go beyond PoP making their way towards current live expansions which class is better, Necro or Ranger?

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Necros apparently get progressively worse to where they can't be stacked in modern eq because of too many dots, and most fights take too long to ramp up to max dps, and terrible in groups.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mages? They are godly.

Their pets are OP as fuck. They can summon all the spell enhancement gear to make you OP without even having to farm shit. Their nukes are just a tad bit less effective than a Wizard's.

They are the ultimate front runners on these TLP servers. A few months in, after the server gets a bit more mature and the other classes gear out, then they come back down to earth a bit.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Depends on which server/era you're talking about. Mages are crazy good in group content early on. On raids MotM is an issue in the early expansions. Mages also suffer from the meleequest problem from 65-75, but once you hit SoF they're monsters again. Mages are basically the top DPS raid class in SoD, would assume they'll be at or near the top for awhile after that as well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I meant in groups / raids through GoD. I dunno how the pets scale in Luclin / PoP

Plan on switching to berserker, just like everyone else. Lol

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Thx.

Fuck it. Last EQ run, going full nostalgia and rerolling my first toon. And sounds like it picks back up in DPS. (I know they are great in whatever expansion had the giant tree raid. Played that for a few months on live when it came out)

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I noticed a lot of times in groups that the pulls were fast, and stuff died too fast to make dots really useful.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Mages? They are godly.

Their pets are OP as fuck. They can summon all the spell enhancement gear to make you OP without even having to farm shit. Their nukes are just a tad bit less effective than a Wizard's.

They are the ultimate front runners on these TLP servers. A few months in, after the server gets a bit more mature and the other classes gear out, then they come back down to earth a bit.

Ya mages arent bad pre-pop but once pop comes out I fuckin love mages, get the new pets that are lvel 60, irresistable stuns from air pet ontop of the air pet proc, the 240dd proc weapons, belt of magikot with +250hp and +10 to stats, the focus summoning gear, they get the mana regen buff in velios our luclin, water AA illusion for mana regen, swarm pets, can suspend a pet and keep it in your back pocket and summon a new one while that ones suspended.. now in pop you can charm elementals. U got coth, with AA's you only ever need 1 malachite which never gets consumed, lol your pet like never dies anyway cause pop pets are tuned to how water pets were pre-pop they got nerfed. pet hold is amazing as well for pulling mobs to you. I dont usually farm after POP so not sure how much cooler they get but I can imagine.

When I raided POP as a necro with TL on fippy, it was a task keeping up all your dots for just one spell set, cause by the time you memmed a second spell set the fire dots would be falling off. Only way I survived was with quickmem mq2 feature and I'd get 3 spellsets worth of dots on bosses and pull aggro (athiyk: wtf draekon FD!) cause I was too busy stacking dots to FD lol. Necros are still fun to solo, liek in pop you can solo grummus castle with undead charm, then use undead slow on the other mobs.. you get undead mez on top of it, its amazing with the free rune (force shield?) and the DA's (harmshield etc). But yeah boring in raids after awhile better off to feed mana than try to stack dots that are getting resisted or keeping your pet alive.

in groups i wouldnt even dot yeah too mana expensive. just a life tap or keep other people topped off and be a mana battery is easier/lazier. unless you got a badass team that lets you charm then you can charm, haste it and have a ench/mage to debuff it. then just sit back and let charm carry the group while you got lich on and lifetap to heal. mana wrack is pretty cool too. and you can fd, res, go invul. once you get gear as a necro though you're so damn tanky and never go oom. I do wish they'd give necro pets velocity like mages though, that velocity can make a difference in xp/hour or plat/hour long term.

so yeah while necros can be boring in raids, once youre geared you're super awesome as a solo char to go farm shit or PL characters, just have so many diff types of spells and are so tanky its a fun character during off raids. motm put a damper on some of that though, like athiyk used to farm shield of immaculate in between raids solo

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'm inspired to go mage this time, i wanna be lazy but not wizard tier of lazy and i havent played a mage since my main on veeshan lol

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Are there any guides for leveling TLPs out there? I'm a slow as shit player when it comes to EQ and everyone makes it sounds like folks are going to be capped within days, if that. If my goal is mostly to enjoy the leveling experience, do a bunch of those random ass low-level quests, and just generally slow roll it up without , which of the two TLPs am I going to have a better time with, if either? I fully get if maybe this isn't an experience that I can really get in on. Mostly just want to make sure there's going to be people around my speed/level to do stuff with before I throw down some $ on the sub.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Are there any guides for leveling TLPs out there? I'm a slow as shit player when it comes to EQ and everyone makes it sounds like folks are going to be capped within days, if that. If my goal is mostly to enjoy the leveling experience, do a bunch of those random ass low-level quests, and just generally slow roll it up without , which of the two TLPs am I going to have a better time with, if either? I fully get if maybe this isn't an experience that I can really get in on. Mostly just want to make sure there's going to be people around my speed/level to do stuff with before I throw down some $ on the sub.

Go Mangler to be sad and lonely.

Go selos and bug Sterling Sterling and Foaming Foaming for free Lewtz.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard

You'll want to go Mangler. Selos is so fast you'll be like "wtf are tasks" within a few months.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Seems like Mangler is the more popular of the two servers now. While I prefer its rule set overall I think it will be destined for failure when (if) WoW Classic drops this summer and then DBG drops another classic TLP next March.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users