Everquest - Agnarr Server: Sunset Mode

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Yeah GoD was trash for a while but it is vastly improved now. Its probably a bit too easy even.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yeah GoD was trash for a while but it is vastly improved now. Its probably a bit too easy even.
Well yea, now with all the major/modern changes to combat/spells. When it was released it was basically meant and tuned for lvl 70

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
GoD was tough even on the bleeding edge at the time. And there were a ton of complaints, but every expansion had issues. PoP is the expansion that was the beginning of end for our guild. We moved to FFXI for 6 months or so and let other guilds take over the server.

Then came back and crushed them.

That was fun for a bit. But EQ was over for most of us by that time.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I always had a soft spot for Velious as my #1, then PoP

Velious just had too much good shit. I rate it #1 but PoP is just too good too. Venturing into the planes is sweet. But Velious had tri-factions done right, dain ring war, DRAGONS, GIANTS, plane of mischief and even plane of growth... The Sleeper.. It's really crazy how much unique shit was fit into Velious. It's amazing they could never replicate it, no game has.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Kunark was also like 30 zones which included newbie zones since iksar had to have a place to level. You also had Veeshan Peak which was the first real raid zone where lossing wasn't an option or you might just be screwed if you die with no way to get your corpse

Yeah, I wasn't counting the newbie zones since I couldn't get exp there at lvl 50. VP was ok I guess, but the dragons were a lot harder for a whole bunch more of the same loot we got from naggy and vox. If I started playing EQ later on, or levelled up in Kunark I could see it being ok, but having been at max lvl with full raid gear when it came out, it fell way flat for me.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I think I might be the only person alive that enjoyed the fuck out of Uqua. The only thing that was annoying was being last on the list for the stat items, but aside from that I thought it was awesome. The raid split, the oven, the oh shit moments when someone died and started spawning shit and the awesome feeling when you recovered, the time limit to keep the pressure on. Shit was great.

I was a huge scrub when I first played and didn't really start getting into raiding until PoP. As a result, I never saw anything of Velious, no Kunark raids, and certainly nothing of vanilla. I'd love to try to get in on this (not the race part since I just don't have the time), but I dunno wtf I'd play. I've always been Iksar, so I'd have to wait a while for that and probably miss everything anyway. Will have to think about it, I guess.

• 1Solidarity

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean that's all nostalgia though. Replaying them on TLP you'll find Velious and PoP as shallow. Luclin has the most stuff to do at 60, and GoD has the most at 65 and the previous content is still relevant.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I mean that's all nostalgia though. Replaying them on TLP you'll find Velious and PoP as shallow. Luclin has the most stuff to do at 60, and GoD has the most at 65 and the previous content is still relevant.
Sounds like that's only because of instancing?

What's TLP?

Thrudd

Silver Knight of the Realm
The biggest problem with PoP was that it was dawn of the buyable guilds. Players with rediculous amounts of Plat at the time could form a guild and buy up all the molds and be instantly elevated to the status of a competing raid guild

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I'd love to try to get in on this (not the race part since I just don't have the time), but I dunno wtf I'd play. I've always been Iksar, so I'd have to wait a while for that and probably miss everything anyway. Will have to think about it, I guess.

These servers almost always have race change potions available by Kunark or shortly after so just roll any of the Iksar classes and change when Kunark launches.

Sounds like that's only because of instancing?

What's TLP?

Time Locked Progression.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I've always been Iksar

Hail leezard brother,

On LJ the race change potions unlocked I think two weeks in and three at the latest.

I believe the cost is 2500 daybreak cash and you get 500 for each month you have a subscription as well as I think 10% discount on purchases from the store (so 2250). If you don't spend your resub money on dumb shit it hardly costs anything to do a Kunark race change.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I wish this server would just have everything up to LDoN open on day one. They maybe could get away with 0 instancing then.

Thrudd

Is instancing used for anything on TLP or is it strict Vanilla from the beginning?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Is instancing used for anything on TLP or is it strict Vanilla from the beginning?

When a zone reaches a certain threshold of players (varies by zone) a new instance is spawned that you can enter with the command /pickzone. When an instance spawns it's fully loaded with everything that isn't a raid boss. This includes things like long spawn epic quest guys even.

This new server as well as Phinny had raid instancing where in addition to the open world spawns everyone is familiar with you could also do each raid in your own private instance in a manner similar to what you would expect in a modern MMO. The casuals can still do the whole expansion once per week and then the big fish can do that plus claw at each other with rusty hooks trying to get the regular FFA spawns. On these servers raid bosses also spawn much more frequently so the open world stuff is a lot of stuff.

Sterling

El Presidente
Plus you have weekly instances, and you can divide your guild up to do multiples. We killed Aten something like 80 times in era on Phinny.

Thrudd

So is it complete Vanilla or modified? Like do Manastones and Staves of Forgotten Rites drop or no?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Power leveling in EQ for some reason is always one of my most fun activities for some reason, and yet I never make a Druid to start and then struggle hard. Maybe I won't make that mistake this time, however, without a static I know the stigma for druids in groups isn't that great.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Even though it was horribly overtuned when it was released, i enjoyed a good portion of GoD's content...most of the raids could get fucked though.