Everquest - Agnarr Server: Sunset Mode

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Damnit, this might suck me back on. Just can't decide between Monk and Bard.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
So is it complete Vanilla or modified? Like do Manastones and Staves of Forgotten Rites drop or no?

No manastones or staves, here are some of they differences between TLP's and Live (from back in the day) for at least classic.

- Krono is in the game. If you're a hustler you wont even pay to play here. They are a type of currency that can be bought from DBG or traded from other players. Each one is 1 month gametime. Items like lets say FBSS will sell for 8 krono week 1 and trickle down to 3ish krono right after. So in essence if you win an FBSS you either just won 8 months playtime free or you can trade it for high end items.
- Shield of the Immaculate is the chase item in Classic. You want one, everyone wants one, and you still use it even on live.
- AC is overpowered, you take absurdly way less damage nowadays and there is no cap you can reach in the xpacs Agnarr will hit.
- At level 5 you get origin AA which lets you gate back to your starting city as ANY class
- Coin weights nothing, you can carry millions
- Focii are in starting in classic - Improved Damage 3, Mana Pres etc are in the game from the get go which is very overpowered.
- Idols are in from classic, the diety based ones and the stats on them are very good and out of era
- Melee damage is buffed by a multiplier to bring all melee classes in line with casters
- /Pick - this command opens a menu which brings up copies of populated zones and lets you pick one where you camp might be open or where you and friends want to go.
- Necro's, Monks, and Shadowknights are insane DPS compared to live. I ran our parses as a SK up until Luclin if I got buffs and went try hard.
- Wizards and Rangers are also really strong DPS still. Rangers are a top 20 dps and Wizards though are more top 5
- Enchanters are overpowered as HELL. You can charm and do 3x the damage of most people alone. Necro's can also charm undead in guk in classic and solo pretty much all of Frenzy / Lord.
- Raid mobs (in open world) have accelerated timers, meaning they will spawn every 24 hours. In classic this means Vox, Naggy, Yael. The Sky stuff is on a different timer but its pretty close as well.
- Loot rains down on everyone and their alts. We allow one alt which was the greatest idea of all time to get raid loot and we still had TONS of loot rotting.
- Cash Shop - You can buy XP potions, 4 hour SoW pots, regen, and crack buffs. They go on sale for like 50 cents sometimes and personally I used the living shit out of them. 4 hour sow and clarity was strong in classic.

That is just classic, I'm sure there is more I left out but that's the main stuff.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Man, if this fell around some time off I'd be tempted. The only reason I could hang with you guys for a little while last time was that release fell on some holiday break time.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Man, if this fell around some time off I'd be tempted. The only reason I could hang with you guys for a little while last time was that release fell on some holiday break time.

Thats what im saying, bro. Summer is stupid timing. Kids dont play this shit, adults do, fucking nerd autists, 30-40 somethings for nostalgia. Summer is a shitty time, because even if we all hate stepping outside, some of us wade out of our dungeons to do so.

Sterling

El Presidente
No manastones or staves, here are some of they differences between TLP's and Live (from back in the day) for at least classic.

- Krono is in the game. If you're a hustler you wont even pay to play here. They are a type of currency that can be bought from DBG or traded from other players. Each one is 1 month gametime. Items like lets say FBSS will sell for 8 krono week 1 and trickle down to 3ish krono right after. So in essence if you win an FBSS you either just won 8 months playtime free or you can trade it for high end items.
- Shield of the Immaculate is the chase item in Classic. You want one, everyone wants one, and you still use it even on live.
- AC is overpowered, you take absurdly way less damage nowadays and there is no cap you can reach in the xpacs Agnarr will hit.
- At level 5 you get origin AA which lets you gate back to your starting city as ANY class
- Coin weights nothing, you can carry millions
- Focii are in starting in classic - Improved Damage 3, Mana Pres etc are in the game from the get go which is very overpowered.
- Idols are in from classic, the diety based ones and the stats on them are very good and out of era
- Melee damage is buffed by a multiplier to bring all melee classes in line with casters
- /Pick - this command opens a menu which brings up copies of populated zones and lets you pick one where you camp might be open or where you and friends want to go.
- Necro's, Monks, and Shadowknights are insane DPS compared to live. I ran our parses as a SK up until Luclin if I got buffs and went try hard.
- Wizards and Rangers are also really strong DPS still. Rangers are a top 20 dps and Wizards though are more top 5
- Enchanters are overpowered as HELL. You can charm and do 3x the damage of most people alone. Necro's can also charm undead in guk in classic and solo pretty much all of Frenzy / Lord.
- Raid mobs (in open world) have accelerated timers, meaning they will spawn every 24 hours. In classic this means Vox, Naggy, Yael. The Sky stuff is on a different timer but its pretty close as well.
- Loot rains down on everyone and their alts. We allow one alt which was the greatest idea of all time to get raid loot and we still had TONS of loot rotting.
- Cash Shop - You can buy XP potions, 4 hour SoW pots, regen, and crack buffs. They go on sale for like 50 cents sometimes and personally I used the living shit out of them. 4 hour sow and clarity was strong in classic.

That is just classic, I'm sure there is more I left out but that's the main stuff.
This doesn't even include the character revamps that happened in TSS. Skill caps were largely increased, weapon skills, defensive skills etc, which dramatically increases player power.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I remeber as a human ranger back in 1999 being stuck in pure ass darkness in the tunnel between everfrost and blackburrow for like a hour as a noob. I had no lightsource and I figured out that if I cast flamelick spell on me it would give me a bit of light for a few seconds. THATS how different this game is to the one back in 1999.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I seem to remember the first patch adding a candle to your newbie gear as a human. Life definitely got better once you managed to wrangle your first greater lightstone.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I remeber as a human ranger back in 1999 being stuck in pure ass darkness in the tunnel between everfrost and blackburrow for like a hour as a noob. I had no lightsource and I figured out that if I cast flamelick spell on me it would give me a bit of light for a few seconds. THATS how different this game is to the one back in 1999.

a lot of that has to do with differences in modern computer displays. for a bit i played P99 on a CRT Compaq monitor from the 90s and shit was just like i remember haha.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The most irritating loot as a Human Monk. Shit kept auto-equipping into my fist slots and stopping my attacks!

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You monks, hehe. First thing coming from your chat was "turn auto split off plz!" when you got into group. You guys always got gimped for cash, hehe.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah GoD was trash for a while but it is vastly improved now. Its probably a bit too easy even.

GoD was a trainwreck at the time. I say that despite having actually enjoyed the original, kinda. I do think people let nostalgia kind of cloud things.

Shit was broken, but it was amplified by a variety of huge issues:
- Time was close to the only worthwhile raid content once you got there, LOY offered nothing, and LDON was side-grades and most considered it shit. This meant people had been living in potime for a LONG fucking time once GOD hit, and weren't going to be sated by LDON-style group content again.
- Class balance was, IMO, at its absolute worst at that point. Clerics and warriors went from unquestioned best to mandatory. Knights were awful. Caster dps was useless unless charming. Many, many people suddenly felt especially worthless.
- Everything was overtuned. While POP was fucking stupid and deserves more hate for shit like RC (people are totally unfair in accusations) let's not blow past how bad GOD was overall. This was really the first place where "no dead weight" became a thing in this game. The guy people like as a person but they suck? The member only in because of their more talented spouse? The ADHD rogue, worthless mangina cleric, I don't like charming enchanter, etc? Also now feeling quite worthless. This was the first real expansion where you simply could not have a dozen core people carry the rest. If an individual sucked, the whole group now felt it. The whole raid now felt it.
- Uqua was a really solid raid zone that had broken shit. Inktuta was one of the best raids in eq's history and many never reached it. Tacvi was not as enjoyable up front, however, its trash-minimal design actually made it quite possibly THE best expansion-end raid zone because of how not-annoying it was to backfarm. Meanwhile? Most people didn't see these places, or not until OOW.

So, on a progression server, where the overtuning is long since gone, class balance is still kinda shitty but not at its worst, shit-tier ADHD too busy cyboring to play bullshit isn't tolerated already, etc? GOD is the best fucking expansion. BIC is amazing in providing a nolifer task that's useful without being mandatory. Raids are good. Balance is actually good. All that bullshit above is fixed (except maybe being bored of time farming, tlc server rules depending). The only thing that's missing is nostalgia.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
GoD was a trainwreck at the time. I say that despite having actually enjoyed the original, kinda. I do think people let nostalgia kind of cloud things.

Shit was broken, but it was amplified by a variety of huge issues:
- Time was close to the only worthwhile raid content once you got there, LOY offered nothing, and LDON was side-grades and most considered it shit. This meant people had been living in potime for a LONG fucking time once GOD hit, and weren't going to be sated by LDON-style group content again.
- Class balance was, IMO, at its absolute worst at that point. Clerics and warriors went from unquestioned best to mandatory. Knights were awful. Caster dps was useless unless charming. Many, many people suddenly felt especially worthless.
- Everything was overtuned. While POP was fucking stupid and deserves more hate for shit like RC (people are totally unfair in accusations) let's not blow past how bad GOD was overall. This was really the first place where "no dead weight" became a thing in this game. The guy people like as a person but they suck? The member only in because of their more talented spouse? The ADHD rogue, worthless mangina cleric, I don't like charming enchanter, etc? Also now feeling quite worthless. This was the first real expansion where you simply could not have a dozen core people carry the rest. If an individual sucked, the whole group now felt it. The whole raid now felt it.
- Uqua was a really solid raid zone that had broken shit. Inktuta was one of the best raids in eq's history and many never reached it. Tacvi was not as enjoyable up front, however, its trash-minimal design actually made it quite possibly THE best expansion-end raid zone because of how not-annoying it was to backfarm. Meanwhile? Most people didn't see these places, or not until OOW.

So, on a progression server, where the overtuning is long since gone, class balance is still kinda shitty but not at its worst, shit-tier ADHD too busy cyboring to play bullshit isn't tolerated already, etc? GOD is the best fucking expansion. BIC is amazing in providing a nolifer task that's useful without being mandatory. Raids are good. Balance is actually good. All that bullshit above is fixed (except maybe being bored of time farming, tlc server rules depending). The only thing that's missing is nostalgia.

Yea what you say is basically right, except I had no idea GOD is actually good now haha.
How I remember it is GOD gets the most heat because it was the precursor to everyone leaving for WoW / EQ2 / etc... and it's used as the main excuse, when honestly people just wanted a change after playing EQ for 5 years. Most big guilds were in WoW Beta at this time and if you didn't leave for WoW then you probably left for EQ2 which was OOW era.

And of course people were tired of PoP but also the PoP backflagging was a huge burden. Flagging was a massive headache and killed guilds by the end of PoP. I remember having to spend a couple weeks doing re-flagging raids just to keep enough new blood in the guild and it was brutal. This was exacerbated by the fact all PoP shit was still open-world and you were fighting the smaller guilds for raid targets you had no business doing anymore... I do remember piggy-backing raids with smaller guilds at the time. It was messy and draining though.

So once GOD releases whatever is left of your guild is dealing with highly over-tuned crap and it was just exhausting. You also had high usage of MQ by this time and just wonder why even play anymore? MQ users could port themselves past all the highly-tuned trash, CoH their guild and start raids, but if you want to be legit you had to fight to the entrance for like an hour? Fuck-if-i-know tbh. I liked to be legit and we would have mage-bots camped out wherever necessary.

Alts became more and more a necessity to cover the loss of guild members. In a way it made things a whole lot better. We'd have like 5 players all 2 & 3 boxing, but if you lost 1 of those players, that's 2-3 geared up characters you potentially lose, too.

Anyway.... my BIGGEST gripe with GOD was actually nothing to even do with actual gameplay, but the atmosphere & lore. Fucking dumbass aliens? Zones all dark and gloomy. Just not places I want to spend time in at all. Dragons & Gods are exciting but shit like GOD/OOW and even Luclin were just stupid.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I spent multiple fights trying to slow her and nothing ever stuck. I've seen sheets saying its possible though so...

Regime Regime How bout some more 2am WDC bats sir? :D

Hey summer is perfect for me man. Like no time better. The most fun I had since original was with you guys. If Korrupt Korrupt @Grisvok sukik sukik Sterling Sterling @Chanur etc play you can count me in. I'm AFK until June.

BTW I'm in deals with a sponsor ATM for my upcoming Twitch channel.

BLOG_BANNER_Redline_Xtreme.jpg

• 1Like

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm
Hmm, depending on when and what's going on in RL when it releases i'm down for rolling with Faceless again. nfc what class to play this time around, did the bard thing last time so thinking either SK or SHM

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Regime I really hope you know I meant that as a meme to start and had like 70 people drinking that shit en masse on accident trying to be funny. That stuff is the closest thing to powder there is that's legal, I'm surprised Tikkle lived through drinking 4 or whatever lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Hail leezard brother,

On LJ the race change potions unlocked I think two weeks in and three at the latest.

I believe the cost is 2500 daybreak cash and you get 500 for each month you have a subscription as well as I think 10% discount on purchases from the store (so 2250). If you don't spend your resub money on dumb shit it hardly costs anything to do a Kunark race change.

Shit I didn't even know race change stuff existed. Good to know! I guess I can deal with being a barb shaman for a bit.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Shit I didn't even know race change stuff existed. Good to know! I guess I can deal with being a barb shaman for a bit.

Yeah, I was checking the store every day once Kunark launched waiting to swap. I was still leveling when the potions came online so it couldn't have been long at all.

I don't know when you gave up the ghost but race and class exp penalties don't exist so you don't get punished for being a troll or ogre.