Everquest AMA Answered!

wolfshead

Molten Core Raider
We got scooped on by a bunch of blogs without referencing us!! Haters taking our hard earned AMA.

I just finished an article on the AMA over at my website and I gave you guys full credit. Thanks for doing the AMA!

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
I just finished an article on the AMA over at my website and I gave you guys full credit. Thanks for doing the AMA!

Interesting take you had:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But what struck me the most is that the AMA was largely a wasted opportunity to delve deeper into the mindset and philosophy of the existing devs.

25 SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS FOR THE EVERQUEST DEVS
Here are 25 questions I would have asked the EQ devs:

1. How many Daybreak Games developers are actively playing on EverQuest live servers?
  2. How many hours a week do they play on average?
  3. How many hours a week do they spend raiding?
  4. What classes do they play?
  5. How many Daybreak Games developers are actively playing on EverQuest TLP servers?
  6. When is the last time an EQ dev completed an epic quest on a play character?
  7. When is the last time an EQ dev completed the Veeshan’s Peak 1.0 key quest on a play character?
  8. Why haven’t the EQ devs implemented a first to engage mechanic that is currently being used by other MMORPGs like World of Warcraft?
  9. How many Krono are sold by Daybreak Games every month?
  10. How many Krono does the average TLP player purchase each month?
  11. How much Daybreak cash does the average TLP player purchase each month?
  12. How much revenue does the DGB Cash Shop bring in every month?
  13. Do you believe that players should be able to pay to win in a MMORPG?
  14. How is selling Krono to players not pay to win scheme?
  15. Describe an average workday for an EQ developer.
  16. How much time do EQ developers spend each day reading the forums and getting feedback from the EQ community?
  17. How many full-time developers are working on EverQuest?
  18. How many developers are actively assigned to EverQuest live servers?
  19. How many developers are actively assigned to EverQuest TLP servers?
  20. Live quests and dynamic events such as invasions were part of the classic EverQuest experience from 1999-2004. Why isn’t Daybreak running these events anymore on live and TLP servers?
  21. What EQ feature, mechanic or content that you designed are you the proudest of?
  22. What are some of the biggest design mistakes made by the EQ dev team over the years?
  23. Why was the EverQuest Play Nice Policy abandoned?
  24. What are the design pillars of EverQuest?
  25. Describe your ultimate fantasy MMORPG.
Bonus question: Given the meteoric success of Blizzard’s World of Warcraft, what lessons did that teach you about MMO production and design if any?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not sure how many here would care about a lot of the stuff mentioned above. Especially knowing they probably can't talk about internals financials like money DBC/Krono stuff like that which looks to be at least half of your questions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

Why is it labeled a Reddit AMA lol....

Edit: I was awarded best question? Thanks bro, great article, A+. :D

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How many full-time developers are working on EverQuest?
wolfshead wolfshead bruh my question had this answered in it!

I also don't know why you think it's important that EQ Devs play their own game. Personally I'd want EQ devs to go home, do something non-related to EQ and show up the next morning ready to work on EQ again.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I also don't know why you think it's important that EQ Devs play their own game. Personally I'd want EQ devs to go home, do something non-related to EQ and show up the next morning ready to work on EQ again.

Paradox has sessions where they play their own games, and they seem immensely valuable. The most utterly stupid implementations never survive long in any of their titles I play. If eq devs actually played, or at least some of them, or at least some gm level folks in the payroll, something... I expect many issues would be cleaned up pretty quickly. Instead I saw shit like Roshan who literally couldn't even in crushbone etc.

All that said, his question list was full of passive aggressive snark and would be a complete insult to throw at the devs.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Ah, I have Stellaris in my steam library but only played it briefly when it launched. Like most Paradox games they usually launch somewhat lackluster and then get improved tremendously by subsequent patches. I've never had the chance to circle back to it.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider

EQ Devs can never play to the same level as a hardcore player, which is ultimately what those questions are trying to show. It's a trap, because the next statement is effectively always, "You don't know shit about your own game. I know more than you do. You should do what I say to make it better", which in truth often is "You should make MY class stronger because I want it".

EQ Devs spend usually 50-60 hours a week working in the game. The last thing most want to do is go home and play more. I preferred to spend time with my daughter, and my wife. Some actually do play a lot, but most don't. If you can't understand why, then I can't help you understand.

Most of those questions are meaningless. When was the last time someone completed the VP key? Seriously? What insight would this lend to the design process? How could that info make the game better?

I played a monk on the TLP servers when I worked at DBG. But I wasn't playing it as a race to level or whatever. I spent most of my time exploring parts of the game I didn't really see or play in when I was a hardcore player. I completed my monk epic mostly solo.. just to do it. Again.. so?

The questions about Krono sales and revenue are easy to answer. Ready? None of your business. Same goes for the cash shop. None of that would give you any insight in the development process. Seriously what are you hoping to learn from this?

As for things I was most proud of, I really enjoyed the revamp I did of ToV, and the mission where I transformed players into the avatars of the gods. I forget the name of it.. ToV held a lot of special memories for me.. So doing that revamp and spicing up the dragons was a lot of fun. I shipped nine expansions in my time on EQ, and I am quite proud of literally all of them. We did miracles with an ever dwindling design team and budget.

My average work day, was to show up, put my head down, and get working on whatever task I was on when I left the day before, be that quest or raid creation, zone pop, AA creation, item creation, or whatever. As a lead, I was also involved in a lot more meetings than I really wanted to be.. Somewhere during the day I'd spend an hour or so on the forums going over anything important or game breaking..

The rest of the questions aren't really very useful.. so I likely wouldn't answer them.. Except to say that we didn't split developers to work on specific servers.. We all worked on basically everything in the design process. Programmers handled all the coding tasks, except for Chris Black who I think has actually transitioned primarily to the code team now and off of design. As to how many people were on the team.. it was VERY small. So small I'm surprised we got anything done on time. Dedication and ridiculous hours worked is how it happened. We worked our asses off. It's pointless to complain to us about how little content we could deliver, or how many devs were on the game. Those decisions were WAY above our pay grade, and there was nothing we could do about it. We did what we could with what we had.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
EQ Devs can never play to the same level as a hardcore player, which is ultimately what those questions are trying to show. It's a trap, because the next statement is effectively always, "You don't know shit about your own game. I know more than you do. You should do what I say to make it better", which in truth often is "You should make MY class stronger because I want it".

EQ Devs spend usually 50-60 hours a week working in the game. The last thing most want to do is go home and play more. I preferred to spend time with my daughter, and my wife. Some actually do play a lot, but most don't. If you can't understand why, then I can't help you understand.

Most of those questions are meaningless. When was the last time someone completed the VP key? Seriously? What insight would this lend to the design process? How could that info make the game better?

I played a monk on the TLP servers when I worked at DBG. But I wasn't playing it as a race to level or whatever. I spent most of my time exploring parts of the game I didn't really see or play in when I was a hardcore player. I completed my monk epic mostly solo.. just to do it. Again.. so?

The questions about Krono sales and revenue are easy to answer. Ready? None of your business. Same goes for the cash shop. None of that would give you any insight in the development process. Seriously what are you hoping to learn from this?

As for things I was most proud of, I really enjoyed the revamp I did of ToV, and the mission where I transformed players into the avatars of the gods. I forget the name of it.. ToV held a lot of special memories for me.. So doing that revamp and spicing up the dragons was a lot of fun. I shipped nine expansions in my time on EQ, and I am quite proud of literally all of them. We did miracles with an ever dwindling design team and budget.

My average work day, was to show up, put my head down, and get working on whatever task I was on when I left the day before, be that quest or raid creation, zone pop, AA creation, item creation, or whatever. As a lead, I was also involved in a lot more meetings than I really wanted to be.. Somewhere during the day I'd spend an hour or so on the forums going over anything important or game breaking..

The rest of the questions aren't really very useful.. so I likely wouldn't answer them.. Except to say that we didn't split developers to work on specific servers.. We all worked on basically everything in the design process. Programmers handled all the coding tasks, except for Chris Black who I think has actually transitioned primarily to the code team now and off of design. As to how many people were on the team.. it was VERY small. So small I'm surprised we got anything done on time. Dedication and ridiculous hours worked is how it happened. We worked our asses off. It's pointless to complain to us about how little content we could deliver, or how many devs were on the game. Those decisions were WAY above our pay grade, and there was nothing we could do about it. We did what we could with what we had.
I know for me the intent of my "You guys have like 5 dudes working on this incredible game, are you going to increase it?" wasn't because I really gave a shit about having insight to the game development process and more as a way to confront the person who is responsible for deciding whether it's 5 people working on it with profit being driven to another project or 7 people working on it and we get a better expansion release.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
EQ Devs can never play to the same level as a hardcore player, which is ultimately what those questions are trying to show.

This would have been easily adressed by getting advice from hardcore players, but the selection process for those was poor.

The shaman one was a casual player that didn't really understand mechanics and downplayed everything, the necro one was a dirtbag which ended up getting banned for a report I made, several others only played the "upgrade my class" game, and while different bards had the position and they all knew their shit, noone listened to them cuz bards.

I didn't like several of the statements you made in your post, but I appreciate you making them.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You read those questions and it is just so painfully obvious that this is a mangler player who is disgruntled by the state of his specific server at this current time, and is passive aggressively directing it at daybreak. It misses that many other tlps either didn't have the same issues or they weren't so bad, or that most of manglers problems will be resolved by just not being in classic or kunark eras. It's hyperfocused on his problems, his experiences, and his needs. Most people couldn't care less if some gm did vp keying on a tlp - nevermind the literal half dozen overhauls to it that are already in place...

Class input is therefore easy to picture. People equally hung up on their needs and their wants without knowledge of, let alone much care for, other classes or the big picture. How could devs possibly trust feedback from people so heavily biased and stuck with blinders? I play with some people I consider very knowledgeable about eq, very broad experience in many eras, and most of them I think are wildly biased towards their playstyle (eg tank or melee dps) and only like 2 officers I'd call reasonably fair. I know I have a caster bias, myself. The bulk of my guild is relatively clueless and can't even plan their own bis list let alone value big picture, and most of my server is worse, and the forum impression I get of the other tlp iq level is ridiculously bad.

So, if I were a dev, I wouldn't trust fuckers like me and you either.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
You read those questions and it is just so painfully obvious that this is a mangler player who is disgruntled by the state of his specific server at this current time, and is passive aggressively directing it at daybreak. It misses that many other tlps either didn't have the same issues or they weren't so bad, or that most of manglers problems will be resolved by just not being in classic or kunark eras. It's hyperfocused on his problems, his experiences, and his needs. Most people couldn't care less if some gm did vp keying on a tlp - nevermind the literal half dozen overhauls to it that are already in place...

Class input is therefore easy to picture. People equally hung up on their needs and their wants without knowledge of, let alone much care for, other classes or the big picture. How could devs possibly trust feedback from people so heavily biased and stuck with blinders? I play with some people I consider very knowledgeable about eq, very broad experience in many eras, and most of them I think are wildly biased towards their playstyle (eg tank or melee dps) and only like 2 officers I'd call reasonably fair. I know I have a caster bias, myself. The bulk of my guild is relatively clueless and can't even plan their own bis list let alone value big picture, and most of my server is worse, and the forum impression I get of the other tlp iq level is ridiculously bad.

So, if I were a dev, I wouldn't trust fuckers like me and you either.
I didn't get that impression at all.
That guy's article reads like he's jealous we did an AMA with EQ devs. He literally doesn't talk about the answers at all, only the questions, and our origins.
Even after all that, he calls it a Reddit AMA. Then he hurriedly compiled a list of 25 questions of his own. I doubt he really cares about the answers, or even remembers the questions at this point.
I was giving him a pass because his website is clearly a small hobby. Looks like he writes a post every once in a while when the mood hits him.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
several others only played the "upgrade my class" game, and while different bards had the position and they all knew their shit, noone listened to them cuz bards.
The threads in the EQ class forums are mostly like this. I think the worst are the BST and MAG ones.

Some beastlords are asking for group bloodlust (100% proc), it's crazy. I think they should remove the HHE effect from dichotomic/dissident fury to teach beastlords a lesson.

I'm proud to say the warriors thread is fairly neutral. We're happy and just want a little bit more AE aggro options.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
The threads in the EQ class forums are mostly like this. I think the worst are the BST and MAG ones.

Some beastlords are asking for group bloodlust (100% proc), it's crazy. I think they should remove the HHE effect from dichotomic/dissident fury to teach beastlords a lesson.

I'm proud to say the warriors thread is fairly neutral. We're happy and just want a little bit more AE aggro options.

I quit giving a shit nearly a decade ago.

feelsgood.jpg

wolfshead

Molten Core Raider

Of course, devs don't have the time to play as much as hardcore players. However, that's not the question I asked. I asked them how much time do you play EQ each week. That's a simple and straightforward question. Let the EQ devs answer that question and let the chips fall where they may.

And yes, there are lots of hardcore players do know more about a MMO than developers which is why hardcore raiding guilds are used as alpha/beta testers. Many hardcore players have gone on to become notable devs in the industry.

I'd like to hear it from the actual devs themselves as to how much time they spend working. Yes, a person who has worked in the industry I have experienced 50-60 hour weeks and worse. When I was in the industry, I raided 3 hours a night. I think some honest answers from the devs would help players to understand the plight of devs and give them more appreciative of the sacrifices that are made to create the video games they love.

They may be meaningless to you but not to me and others.

The VP key quest is a terribly designed intentional bottleneck that has caused many people to quit EQ. It's a mean-spirited, tedious timesink that does nothing but frustrate players who want to experience more content with their guild. I know of people that have camped the Ancient Jarsath for 18 hours and had their AJ KSed from them on numerous occasions. I shudder to think what the total number of hours that some people have dedicated to completing the entire VP key quest.

Waiting for the random number generator to produce a rare spawn for a bloody zone key quest -- not loot -- is not an accomplishment. It's pure luck. Winning the lottery is also not an accomplishment. Of course, virtual worlds and real worlds are subject to randomness, but quests should be about achievements and accomplishments.

Unlike the EQ devs, I actually play on TLP servers. I've personally completed the VP key quest. Waiting around with 20 other players for the Pained Soul to spawn and having a DPS race to hope that you get the kill so you can loot the medallion is EQ at its worst and an utter disgrace. It's like throwing a piece of meat into a pit of starving dogs. Sadly, that is the reality for those who play on TLP servers with no Play Nice Policy and no GM support whatsoever. That's a reality that the devs who don't play have no clue about it and would change it in a heartbeat if they had to personally experience it.

If the EQ TLP dev team were forced to endure the VP key quest then they would know exactly what the players are going through. That would give them tremendous insight into the game design process. Don't force your players to endure preposterous quests when you won't do so yourself.

Let me ask you this: do you think a chef should ask people to eat food that the chef has not tasted himself? Do you think a chef that eats his own food would be a better chef than one that does not? How long do you think a restaurant will stay in business with a chef that doesn't eat his own food?

The general thrust of my article was that MMO devs need to play the MMO they are working on. My suspicion is that the EQ devs do not play their own MMO with any sense of regularity or dedication and sadly, it shows. Contrast this with how Blizzard operates. Every quest is extensively tested by devs who are working on other games within Blizzard. Blizzard employees play their own games.

Bottom line: don't expect players to play your shitty half-baked quests/content when you yourself won't do them.

The revenue that DBG makes is our business. Without the players who purchase Krono EverQuest will die. Yes, this is a strange partnership but a partnership nonetheless. We pay the devs, the devs make our game. All of us who love EQ want it to keep going. SOE and DGB don't have a track record that is inspiring, to say the least. Putting a spotlight on them and asking tough questions might actually help keep EQ going for longer.

Many of us who've played and paid for EQ over the years feel like shareholders. Shareholders should be entitled to know what is going on so the business can be managed effectively. Holly Longdale gave a disrespectful "none of your business" answer during the Reddit AMA and I think that was unfortunate. This is the same DGB that canceled EQ Next and Landmark and took a lot of money from alpha and beta testers for those products. We have every right to ask those questions.

Krono and Daybreak Cash and the All-Access Pass are the prime forms of monetization for the EQ TLP servers. I suspect that the TLP servers are subsidizing the EQ live servers. Holly Longdale admitted in a recent interview that each year EQ makes more money than the previous year. It is my suspicion that even though the TLP servers are essentially keeping the entire EQ franchise alive, they are not getting their commensurate share of dev resources. They could easily afford GMs to police the TLP servers, after all both Manger and Selo's are premium servers that require a subscription to All-Access Pass.

Thanks for sharing that. :)

Again thanks for sharing your insight. I agree with you on meetings. I hated meetings when I worked in the industry. I am an introvert and I'd rather be accomplishing something than chattering on endlessly in a meeting.

Fair enough.

You say that the rest of the questions weren't very useful. So you don't think it's useful to discuss why there are no more live dynamic quests, events and invasions in Norrath anymore? I was a Senior Guide and wrote and ran many official live quests. The players loved them. I got lots of positive feedback from the community. My goal as a volunteer was to help bring the dream of Norrath being a living and breathing world to fruition in just a small way. The fact that these events no longer are allowed is a tragedy and a betrayal of the spirit of EverQuest which was published on the official EQ website tilted: "Masters of the Quest" but no longer available but saved for posterity on my website:

If you can read that and not feel that SOE/DGB has shortchanged their players by eliminating all live events, then I don't know what else to say.

Every EQ dev has GM access to go on to every live/LP server and do invasions. What is stopping them from logging on once a week and having the deities visit Norrath for a good old fashion invasion? Nothing is stopping them, except a lack of will and imagination.

How about Krono as pay to win? You think Krono is not a pay to win scheme? How so? Do you think pay to win is good MMO design?

I do not doubt that you and your teammates were exceptionally dedicated and passionate. A few months ago I read and reviewed John Statt's:WoW Diary and he explained how hard everyone work creating the original Word of Warcraft. It was a grueling process and the WoW dev teamed were passionate about what they are doing. Can the same thing be said about the current EQ dev team?

You're one of the best posters on this forum because you give readers a good glimpse of what happened behind the scenes in the development of EQ. Although we disagree on some
things I really enjoy your perspective and thanks for the insights.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

wolfshead

Molten Core Raider
I didn't get that impression at all.
That guy's article reads like he's jealous we did an AMA with EQ devs. He literally doesn't talk about the answers at all, only the questions, and our origins.
Even after all that, he calls it a Reddit AMA. Then he hurriedly compiled a list of 25 questions of his own. I doubt he really cares about the answers, or even remembers the questions at this point.
I was giving him a pass because his website is clearly a small hobby. Looks like he writes a post every once in a while when the mood hits him.

Most AMA's are done on Reddit which is why I assumed it was done on Reddit. I fixed that, thanks!

Writing about MMOs is a small hobby. I post occasionally but not every day. I don't make any money from it. I'm a good old-fashioned blogger. I don't stream on Twitch or have a YouTube channel.

To say that I don't care about the answers is not true. Why would I waste time posting an article about something that I don't care about?

I'm glad that the FOH forums did the EverQuest AMA. Thanks for the feedback.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Just searched for "EQ2 gameplay 2019" jesus this look tedius. Dude has 4 hotbars that are 20 wide. No wonder the main event of the channel is drinking.

I had to play healer during raids.

This is what made me quit.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I would agree that developers should spend some time playing their own game. If the developers are overworked and this prevents it, then the blame can be placed on the managers who are reducing the quality of their product. Frankly game developers allow themselves to be exploited far too much, even for Americans, and they need to unionize. They have more bargaining power than they realize because good fucking luck finding new developers to take over EQ's mess for similar pay.

Developers are simply the best beta testers because they know exactly what to look for and don't need to write up bug reports if its their own work. They'll catch stuff nobody else will. I'm often amazed at the obvious bugs/flaws that AREN'T reported on TAKP after I somehow become aware of them. (playing or observing)

The VP key quest was designed in another universe when players behaved far differently and the servers weren't instanced. Back then, leveling was actually THE game for most people and raiding was something a minority did. You had maybe 3 guilds (if that) farming keys over the entire year, and they were probably smaller guilds. Trakanon wouldn't be killed until MONTHS after Kunark launched back then. Now TLPs are nothing but raiders who zoom to level cap ASAP to raid in their stupid instances on a server they (for some reason) think is the real EQ. The exp/level curve is entirely different; players are much stronger; boxing is rampant; everything is spoiled to death; instancing floods the server with raid loot and importantly Trak teeth; etc. The problem isn't the quest so much as that so much of everything else is different. You can argue that it needs to be modified like the rest of the game, sure; but blaming the guy who made it (who no doubt left the company eons ago) for what your experience was on TLPs is silly. I made a key in 2000 and I never went around ranting about it like I had been traumatized because it's fine when half the server isn't trying to do it even if it's a bit tedious. (but that's EQ for you)

• 1Like