Everquest Confessions

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I, too, always hugged the shit out of that wall just in case. West Cabilis in general always felt slightly uncomfortable to me; couldn't tell you why.
On Agnarr, Abacab used to grief people on his paladin that were rolling new characters in the East Freeport arena. Many years later, your fear would come to be realized.

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
Do we know if any of the EQ Devs/GMs at the time gave favorable items to guildies or to themselves?

The couple devs I knew/talked to went out of their way to be very quiet in game when it came to talking about strats or drop locations/rarity, and didnt provide things external to what they legitimately could do; one played an enchanter and enchanted a few things for me when I was working on tradeskill stuff, but nothing like, hey, heres this thing I "found", and she never said a word about fight strats or bug workarounds, even when we were in VT during those few shitshow weeks of having to duel flux coh mages to get past broken warders and she was with us (she later said they had been doing that with every guild at the time), raiding on her enchanter.

They (mostly her, sometimes he would hang out at her apartment and talk for a bit) did stream on yahoo occasionally and talk about a few dev related things. GM's and guides were hit or miss though. Tribunal moving from our original GM (the name always escapes me since I didnt know him well) to Nocnivin changed the entire feel of the server, it was weird.

They did absolutely keep people from getting banned for showeq and mq2 stuff. There were devs and sony higherups scattered across a whole lot of top end guilds for many years. I dont know if that still holds today, but I wouldnt be overly shocked if it did. We had people unbanned for warping on a few occasions, with a "dont do that again" warning. Think one of them got banned and unbanned 3 or 4 times before his final final warning.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The couple devs I knew/talked to went out of their way to be very quiet in game when it came to talking about strats or drop locations/rarity, and didnt provide things external to what they legitimately could do; one played an enchanter and enchanted a few things for me when I was working on tradeskill stuff, but nothing like, hey, heres this thing I "found", and she never said a word about fight strats or bug workarounds, even when we were in VT during those few shitshow weeks of having to duel flux coh mages to get past broken warders and she was with us (she later said they had been doing that with every guild at the time), raiding on her enchanter.

They (mostly her, sometimes he would hang out at her apartment and talk for a bit) did stream on yahoo occasionally and talk about a few dev related things. GM's and guides were hit or miss though. Tribunal moving from our original GM (the name always escapes me since I didnt know him well) to Nocnivin changed the entire feel of the server, it was weird.

They did absolutely keep people from getting banned for showeq and mq2 stuff. There were devs and sony higherups scattered across a whole lot of top end guilds for many years. I dont know if that still holds today, but I wouldnt be overly shocked if it did. We had people unbanned for warping on a few occasions, with a "dont do that again" warning. Think one of them got banned and unbanned 3 or 4 times before his final final warning.

You were on Tribunal? Only a handful of members here were. Decent progression raid server, but never bleeding edge. I felt like I knew everyone's name in the top 4 guilds.

Otto

I remember GM Nocnivin. I heard horror stories about her but she was always cool to me with the few interactions we had. I barely remember talking to her after some player reported me for being an Iksar in Rivervale. I got my Iksar warrior almost unkos in every city. I had to avoid North Freeport and Rivervale Clerics though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
You were on Tribunal? Only a handful of members here were. Decent progression raid server, but never bleeding edge. I felt like I knew everyone's name in the top 4 guilds.
I was! Was in EV until Gates, then moved to Torv and raided with Blades of Wrath for a couple years

• 2Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was! Was in EV until Gates, then moved to Torv and raided with Blades of Wrath for a couple years

Small world. I was in The Elitists in late Vanilla and then going forward, the Elitists & Vangrants when we merged, but stopped mid Luclin. I think maybe Lejina is the only other Tribunal player I remember here and he was in our guild too.

• 1Like

Otto

I was in The Vagrants from Kunark to Luclin. I believe I stopped playing before the EV merger.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I wasn’t in any of the higher tier guilds on Tribunal but I was there from vanilla through GoD. I was a mage and mostly did group content. I can’t remember the name of the guild I was in before I quit, but I was in The Companions for most of vanilla through Luclin.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was in The Vagrants from Kunark to Luclin. I believe I stopped playing before the EV merger.

That's cool. I wonder how many others there are lurking around. I can remember almost all the names of the Warriors in our guild and the race/class combo of maybe 2 dozen others, but not their names, just what they looked like. Was fun times.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
some player reported me for being an Iksar in Rivervale.
Lmao... wait wait...

You had to talk to a GM because some goofball out there thought you were a hacker for being an Iksar in Rivervale?

What a racist.

• 1Worf

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
We tried to log into other people accounts using their ingame names as account name and password.
Surprisingly, it did work sometimes. Got suspended a few times.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A friend I once tried to get interested in EQ nipped round on a Friday night, we were meant to be going out for a beer but I convinced him to wait till this random pickup alliance I'd joined did a Vox run.

It took nearly 2.5 hours of absolute fuckery to crawl from entrance to setup room with 30 minutes reconnections along the way (yay dial up). My pal was fair grumbling but I kept convincing him to bear with it. Anyway, I was just logging off to reconnect before the pull when with like a second to log I see, "Shit a dragon!"

I logged back in surrounded by corpses and chat full of screaming accusations so I just pulled the plug. My mate still gives me shit about it whenever I mention EQ to this day.

• 1Worf

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
Small world. I was in The Elitists in late Vanilla and then going forward, the Elitists & Vangrants when we merged, but stopped mid Luclin. I think maybe Lejina is the only other Tribunal player I remember here and he was in our guild too.
We probably had some overlap then. I might have run into Otto a few times too, but I wasnt really as active until right around the time Valero's (I think it was his anyway) ring war happened. That would have been my Freshman year of college in the dorms, didnt have anything but dialup at home before that.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure everyone on a pvp server used ShowEQ back in the day. Not that it updated player positions as well as NPCs...erm so I hear.

I started using the DAOC version (Excalibar?) the day they let infiltrator types see stealthers. I got revenge on all those high and mighty archers that 1 shot casters from stealth. There was a lot of angry lurikeen slaughter that day.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Not that it updated player positions as well as NPCs...erm so I hear.
That's because the netcode for EQ was lifted from their tank game Tanarus. Basically EQ sends player position updates with a low rate when just moving forward and turning left/right, and sends updates when you start/stop rotating. This leads to multiple things:
  • When you move forward, stop and immediately cast a spell you have high chances of the spell being interrupted, because the "player has stopped moving forward" update didn't come in until after the cast started, so the server thought you were still moving forward and thought you were somewhere else.
    To mitigate this you can move forward, stop, immediately turn a bit left/right and then cast a spell: Changes in turn direction seem to get immediately sent.
  • Strafing sideways isn't a thing for tanks, so the updates for strafing are always at the reduced rate. This makes it seem like players "stutter" and "jump around" instead of walking sideways.
  • The developers tried to reduce the amount of traffic, so with one of those updates you only get sent position updates for mobs in your vicinity after zoning in.
  • Another update limited mob movement updates to your own height position in the world, e.g. you wouldn't get updates for mobs above or below you.
And so you can observe players running around going up a hill while turning and then running in circles (because the last update your client saw was: "moving forward and turning at this speed"), and the client perpetuated the last movement received for a mob for eternity. Turns out that if the player moved up and changed direction (as is normally the case when following terrain) he could be well out of update range once you catched up his height.

This happened a in PvP. Especially with Bards.

did shadowstep actually bug track on pvp servers or was that a myth
Shadow Step is one of those iffy spells that can send you around in a big zone, and maybe well out of the update range. However, the first update goes to your client. The SHD however will most likely keep moving after Shadow Step, so you don't necessarily get updates where he moves to next, as he is out of your update range.

• 3Like
  • 2Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 4 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I just learned that guano is spanish for bird/bat shit. Then I thought about the guano harvester. Then I thought about his drop: a large soiled bag.

Then I realized one of my best bags in the game was a sack that was literally used to transport bat shit around.

That's just batshit crazy!

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just learned that guano is spanish for bird/bat shit. Then I thought about the guano harvester. Then I thought about his drop: a large soiled bag.

Then I realized one of my best bags in the game was a sack that was literally used to transport bat shit around.

That's just batshit crazy!
You cant be serious. I mean, I should ask you that question about a lot of things.. but staying on topic - In WoW, you collect Guano like every fucking expansion. They have some kind of fucking fetish for that type of quest at Blizzard. I think its like an inside joke or something. EverQuest - you collect Guano on Kunark (and Im sure other places) for a quest. Ive seen other games have it, too.

Its really fucking weird that people have that much of a fixation around picking up bat shit...

Unless.. This was grandfather time, warning us all along about COVID:
1024.jpg

• 1Worf

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Wars were fought over guano islands in the 1800's. Used to be the only source of nitrogen fertilizer till a German scientist figured out how to make ammonia.

Half the nitrogen in your body is there because of that guy.

He also invented mustard gas and zyklon B though.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like