Everquest Confessions

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Logged into someones account, bound them in kael, deleveled them to 1 after selling all their gear and plat on playerauctions

You can't delevel someone to 1, xp loss stops at lvl 4 or so.

Sorry about that.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

elbas

Molten Core Raider
To build up my defense on my powerleveled chars, I would bind in the arena of cities which had wandering guards which were agro to me and go AFK overnight. The guards would beat me to death but I wouldn't lose exp since I was in the arena. Mostly it worked without issue except for two times:

1. Bound in Cabilis arena. Look at the logs the next morning and see chat from someone who thought I was in trouble and was trying to help me. He was fighting the guard who was fighting me and telling me to run while he was keeping the guard busy. He died a couple of times and even had a GM there. The GM said that he wasn't going to do anything since my character didn't ask for help. I guess he didn't catch on to what I was doing.
2. Bound in Neriak arena. I bound too close to the edge of the PvP line and the guard's beatings would occasionally push me across the line, where I would die and lose exp. Lost 3 levels that night.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
You can't delevel someone to 1, xp loss stops at lvl 4 or so.

Sorry about that.
Yeah, now (and I think it starts at 6 but not sure if you can actually delevel to 5). Is that actually the case when velious was live or whenever this supposedly occurred?

There was an early bug in EQ where you'd be put in the safe zone on logging in if you ended up in a location that had no viable 'location' for a player to spawn in - common places were corners.

For example, in Siren's Grotto, if you camped in the right location, you would be evacced to the safe coords because the last position the client would send would have an invalid z location (0,0,0) when the server calculated your saved position.

EQ position updates were rounded to int16 from float, so that's not surprising. If your X/Y was close enough to a wall to round to where your Z location was out of bounds when positioning on the floor, and you camped at that position, it'd teleport you to safe coords on login.

Kinda hilarious, but also great way to travel in Siren's Grotto without a druid to get to WW.
WoW still has something along these lines with z axis. If you camp in an underground area on an object you'll be ported to any number of fun and interesting places.

SeanDoe1z1

I remember fucking around in akamon on an alt, maybe level 6, some weird combination of LD and character deletion I get a tell from my friend I was with “your char not dropping how you on”

I made another level 1 to see wtf he was talking about, sure enough my char was in same spot but it was a NPC empty merchant. I spent a full day trying to figure out how to exploit it and replicate it

never could and it disappeared after the next update

If I remember it even had some wierd characters in the name too, maybe asterisk. Young me thought I found some golden goose…

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Back when kunark had just recently come out maybe 3-4(?) weeks earlier, I had a friend on the server who spoke no engrish. He and I could barely communicate but still bonded while playing.

One day the server exploded with rumors that this guy was a 'duper', and that he had singled handedly ruined the server economy in less than a day of duping.

I was intrigued, I hadn't seen him in a few days, and when he did log on he immediately asked me to meet him in EC. So I showed up and he gave me a haul of gear. including 4 pieces of cobalt, at the time there was hardly any cobalt armor on the server. especially the bracer he gave me. He also gave me a bunch of other rare stuff. but I mostly remember the armor, because when I wore it on my level 50ish warrior, people wanted to know how the fuck I got it. I'd just lie and say my parents were in the top raid guild.

He got banned a day or two later, but I got to keep all my duped gear that he gave me$$

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 2Mother of God
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Confession: I started emulating the 64 bit client about a month ago for a few hours, picked it back up today:

qZVePsM.png

Git repo

• 2Like
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Is there no better satisfaction than training groups that stole from you? It was a lot easier to get away with it on the TLPs than Live.

Training Raids was a whole other tier of debauchery.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Back when kunark had just recently come out maybe 3-4(?) weeks earlier, I had a friend on the server who spoke no engrish. He and I could barely communicate but still bonded while playing.

One day the server exploded with rumors that this guy was a 'duper', and that he had singled handedly ruined the server economy in less than a day of duping.

I was intrigued, I hadn't seen him in a few days, and when he did log on he immediately asked me to meet him in EC. So I showed up and he gave me a haul of gear. including 4 pieces of cobalt, at the time there was hardly any cobalt armor on the server. especially the bracer he gave me. He also gave me a bunch of other rare stuff. but I mostly remember the armor, because when I wore it on my level 50ish warrior, people wanted to know how the fuck I got it. I'd just lie and say my parents were in the top raid guild.

He got banned a day or two later, but I got to keep all my duped gear that he gave me$$

Do we know if any of the EQ Devs/GMs at the time gave favorable items to guildies or to themselves?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Is there no better satisfaction than training groups that stole from you? It was a lot easier to get away with it on the TLPs than Live.

Training Raids was a whole other tier of debauchery.
We had people in our guild specifically because they were willing and able to train raids. Lot of that shit happened on the down-low and with alts, and we even had counter trainers to do train defense in some raids. Clerics were the god tier raid trainer, but so few were willing to put their clerical balls on the line. Run straight into the middle of their shit with a bunch of friends and then bestow divine aura on their MT. Hilarity ensues.

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

TairyGreene

Silver Knight of the Realm
1. This one isn’t bad. Victimless exploit. My very first character at launch was a human wizard. Got to lvl 39 and soured on the class and my shitty base INT. I felt weak and necros seemed badass. Decided to quit wizard and literally reroll as an erudite necro. Instead of doing the sane thing and just making an alt, I sought a way to transfer my guise and jboots to the necro. I discovered you could die, delete your character, remake one with the same name, log in, and loot the corpse. So I was able to loot the lvl 39 wiz‘s gear on my lvl 1 necro. Kiting around reds with jboots and power leveling myself was pretty fun.

2. I downloaded some janky speed “hack“ for laughs in Counterstrike. Must have been really basic because it was just an .exe that sped up everything. My friend and I would fly to the other side of the CS map at warp speed and knife the other team on spawn, and then laugh our asses off as we were immediately booted from the server. Tested the speed hack one day on EQ, and it lo and behold, it worked. It basically looked like i was fast forwarding my character at like 8x when I ran. I could probably run across NK in like 30 seconds. And this was back when you couldn’t cast sow indoors. So i could activate warp speed when I was running for my life in Guk. Thought for sure I’d get banned but never even got so much as a warning. Probably used it for at least a month or two.

3. Back around 2000, a RL friend lied to a guide about glitching off the boat and losing his corpse with all his items. He told her he lost all these high end items he didn’t have, like a full set of rubi, 2 yaks, FBSS etc. The guide restored his list of “lost” items. A week or so later, friend logs into a tiny cell-like room with all his gear stripped. He was trapped in there and couldn’t get out. He was basically put in EQ “jail” for like a week. I thought this was so hilarious. Wondering if anyone here can confirm if Sony/Verant really suspended people like that back in the day.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
1. This one isn’t bad. Victimless exploit. My very first character at launch was a human wizard. Got to lvl 39 and soured on the class and my shitty base INT. I felt weak and necros seemed badass. Decided to quit wizard and literally reroll as an erudite necro. Instead of doing the sane thing and just making an alt, I sought a way to transfer my guise and jboots to the necro. I discovered you could die, delete your character, remake one with the same name, log in, and loot the corpse. So I was able to loot the lvl 39 wiz‘s gear on my lvl 1 necro. Kiting around reds with jboots and power leveling myself was pretty fun.

2. I downloaded some janky speed “hack“ for laughs in Counterstrike. Must have been really basic because it was just an .exe that sped up everything. My friend and I would fly to the other side of the CS map at warp speed and knife the other team on spawn, and then laugh our asses off as we were immediately booted from the server. Tested the speed hack one day on EQ, and it lo and behold, it worked. It basically looked like i was fast forwarding my character at like 8x when I ran. I could probably run across NK in like 30 seconds. And this was back when you couldn’t cast sow indoors. So i could activate warp speed when I was running for my life in Guk. Thought for sure I’d get banned but never even got so much as a warning. Probably used it for at least a month or two.

3. Back around 2000, a RL friend lied to a guide about glitching off the boat and losing his corpse with all his items. He told her he lost all these high end items he didn’t have, like a full set of rubi, 2 yaks, FBSS etc. The guide restored his list of “lost” items. A week or so later, friend logs into a tiny cell-like room with all his gear stripped. He was trapped in there and couldn’t get out. He was basically put in EQ “jail” for like a week. I thought this was so hilarious. Wondering if anyone here can confirm if Sony/Verant really suspended people like that back in the day.
There was a cat room below befallen I think. Now if this was it or a variation of this who knows.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
It's crazy you could do that but Thott's bard would get banned every time we found a faster drum :emoji_laughing:

I know when exploiting got really bad and people thought there was too many people ghostkilling and the like everywhere, people were literally sending the source code of all the hacks to the devs and telling them how to easily catch everyone doing the worst stuff. It should have been less of a problem, but many exploits went on for years.