Everquest Confessions

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There was a cat room below befallen I think. Now if this was it or a variation of this who knows.

The Befallen cat room you could unintentionally glitch into (and walk back out of) since it's directly behind the zone out line, but many zones have completely isolated rooms that you cannot get to unless you get summoned in. I did get to see some of them as a guide and did see one GM summon a player to one for a talking to.

I believe these rooms are mostly an artifact from the zone building tools used, they're usually at loc 0,0,0 and have writing on the wall that tells the designer where to warp to to enter the playspace. Image below isn't totally correct since (at least when I was one) guides couldn't warp to a location, GMs can though. Guides would just /summon stuck players/corpses to their own location.

1645345457420.png

1645345754600.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can confirm I got ported to a room like that in Qeynos Sewers for deceiving a GM in similar fashion and banned when I was like 12.

Teliesen on Druzzil Ro I know ya be reading this and you is still a bitch!

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

TairyGreene

Silver Knight of the Realm
I can confirm I got ported to a room like that in Qeynos Sewers for deceiving a GM in similar fashion and banned when I was like 12.

Teliesen on Druzzil Ro I know ya be reading this and you is still a bitch!
Thank you!

Were you banned banned or just suspended? Pretty sure my buddy was “freed“ after some time. I said guide but it was probably a GM who had the power to restore his items, etc. I think he described the room as a “tiny white room with walls” but this was over 20 years ago now (wtf).

One more Tarew Marr shenanigan - back when duel results were broadcast server wide, I was grinding away in lower guk when a global announcement appears:

"Blowjob has defeated Vaginaldryness in a duel to the death!"

Cheers erupted in OOC. "Yeah! Go Blowjob!" Soon after I find out that it was two RL friends behind the stunt, and one of them was on a 3rd friend's account. One or both accounts got banned, so friend #3 who had nothing to do with it lost everything and had to start over. He was a bit miffed over that.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Do we know if any of the EQ Devs/GMs at the time gave favorable items to guildies or to themselves?
PoP era we had a GM ranger in the guild (Paradigm) on Sol Ro. He was always cybering a wood elf Druid in the guild. When PD died we all split between people staying on sol ro and going to the second highest guild BoR and people going to the highest raid guild on Firiona Vie. Anyways, he created a prenerf Dark Elf mask for her after we all transferred, cause they both though DEs were hot. Made their cybers better I guess.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Confession: I am having stupid amounts of pointless fun getting this working on emu

Mek7Rqt.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Weird Boner
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 4 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The 0 0 0 thing might be a result of their playstation roots. Playstations don't like floating point denormals, so levels would often avoid 0 0 0.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
PoP era we had a GM ranger in the guild (Paradigm) on Sol Ro. He was always cybering a wood elf Druid in the guild. When PD died we all split between people staying on sol ro and going to the second highest guild BoR and people going to the highest raid guild on Firiona Vie. Anyways, he created a prenerf Dark Elf mask for her after we all transferred, cause they both though DEs were hot. Made their cybers better I guess.
How often did the gm of bor cyber linna in darkblood?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Not a confession of douchebaggery or anything, just a confession of noobness, I nearly always play Iksar chars if it's an available choice for the class I am playing, people that know Cabilis would know about the PvP arena in West cab near the LoIO zone, for pretty much ever I was paranoid to step in the PvP area always thinking their might be some invisible PKer lurking and waiting to gank me, would hug the wall to avoid it at all costs.

Took a long time to shake that weird superstition.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thank you!

Were you banned banned or just suspended? Pretty sure my buddy was “freed“ after some time. I said guide but it was probably a GM who had the power to restore his items, etc. I think he described the room as a “tiny white room with walls” but this was over 20 years ago now (wtf).

I think it was Zaide that linked EQ Scout ages ago but you can find the room in the Catacombs on there, same with the Cat room in Befallen.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Was a young lad of 17 when EQ originally came out, small time country boy who had never had a computer. I worked 70+ hour week during the summer shortly after release to buy myself pretty much the lowest end computer possible that could turn on (had to pay for everything at that age as my family was poor so limited funds). We also lived in the middle of no where so internet was....well pretty horrible to say the least on that hot 56k dial up.

Two of my earlier memories surrounded around
- Making a Wizard named Raist and getting to 16 and lagging so hard i fell off the ledge in EK i believe it was losing my body forever in my mind so i restarted on Lanys server
- Early on my load times were insane, 8 minutes + in many instances. This caused all sorts of funny things,

1) I zoned into Crushbone and about 15 minutes later showed up nakid at my bind spot having clearly been killed by a dvinn train. I went to loot my corpse and there were 2 versions of it with duplicates of everything and double the plat. I was so scared someone was going to find out and i'd get in trouble I didn't look in for a week hah.

2) My first attempts to ride the boat from Freeport (believe it was?) zoning into OOT led to about a 10 minute loading screen where i came to dying in about 5 seconds after from drowning as i clearly got pushed off the boat when it zoned out of OOT. I could not get my body and was so sad I pentioned. An awesome GM (may have been guide?) named Grid came to my rescue after another GM wouldn't do anything and he summoned my body for me. After that I would message him if he was online and ask to be teleported across instead of risking the death again which he did for me for a while. Was to this day the best customer support i've ever seen in an MMO haha, Grid if you are out there kudos my friend!

I used to get into so many death loops as a wizard binding at zone entrances and having trains kill me before i loaded into the screen. Man that was so fustrating playing on that level of lag and zone times, no clue how I kept playing. When I went off to college and bought a gaming computer & had a real world internet connection instead of 2 can's on a wire life was absolutely amazing.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think we all had dial up at that point. I don't even think anything else was available for a few years a t least. My wife used to fuck with me and go downstairs to the basement and unplug the phone wire to get me to stop playing since there was only one phone line and she wanted to gab on the phone like all chicks do. Shit cell phones were rare as fuck and expensive back then too.

Last edited:
  • 2Rustled
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I think we all had dial up at that point. I don't even think anything else was available for a few years a t least. My wife used to fuck with me and go downstairs to the basement and unplug the phone wire to get me to stop playing since there was only one phone line and she wanted to gab on the phone like all chicks do. Shit cell phones were rare as fuck and expensive back then too.
My mom’s friends used to complain that our phone line was busy all the time. I ended up paying for an extra phone line just to play EQ for hours on end.

• 1Solidarity

turbo

Molten Core Raider
All i can say is you can not truly feel my pain if you couldn't go brush your teeth, shower, take a shit, and grab a snack in between zoning from sol a to sol b....just saying.

God so funny to remember, i couldn't play with sound for almost 2 years because it lagged me out and my graphics card was so bottom dollar that I couldn't start a dark elf because it was so dark in the city it was basically pure black on my screen and I spent hours trying to get out.

Sad we can't find a way to rekindle that child like joy of true discovery and the great unknown any more :( Only other game that brought me the joy that EQ did was Vanguard....not to say I should have enjoyed either as in hind sight obviously so many reasons not to but the heart wants what the heart wants!

• 1Like

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I was on 28k...I get it. It was especially annoying zoning from Qeynos Hills into West Karana because a good chunk of the time, some sort of collision would kick me back into Qeynos Hills, meaning I then had to zone 3 times instead of 1. Bless anyone that was in a group with me and waited through those loading times. Ethernet in college was when I could finally start spending more time playing the game than loading it.

• 1Worf

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
My dad owned a hosting company in the 90s - 2000s and we had T1 and then eventually a T3 at the house- living that blessed life. I was a god of counter strike.

the negative was my dad knew all about networks and he crushed my access at night randomly

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Man, I remember people bragging about having a T1/T3 line and I started asking my dad if we could get one at our house. Was always jealous of the folks who were starting to get cable, too.

Not a confession of douchebaggery or anything, just a confession of noobness, I nearly always play Iksar chars if it's an available choice for the class I am playing, people that know Cabilis would know about the PvP arena in West cab near the LoIO zone, for pretty much ever I was paranoid to step in the PvP area always thinking their might be some invisible PKer lurking and waiting to gank me, would hug the wall to avoid it at all costs.

Took a long time to shake that weird superstition.

I, too, always hugged the shit out of that wall just in case. West Cabilis in general always felt slightly uncomfortable to me; couldn't tell you why.