Everquest Confessions

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Immediately turned off all the new models. They just didn't work for me.
I was 14 when they came out and thought they were so cool. But that didnt last long. Quickly preferred the original models.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Forgot those models were during that expansion. Lol who left that shit on longer than it took to logout and disable them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Forgot those models were during that expansion. Lol who left that shit on longer than it took to logout and disable them.
Then later, you had to re-enable them so you could use your mount (and med on it).

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Then later, you had to re-enable them so you could use your mount (and med on it).
I boxed a warrior, shaman, cleric, bard, rogue team + often a random 6th. I never used mounts. Every time I saw a cleric on a mount, I knew they were fake and gay.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I boxed a warrior, shaman, cleric, bard, rogue team + often a random 6th. I never used mounts. Every time I saw a cleric on a mount, I knew they were fake and gay.
dd0.png

• 1Solidarity

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
PoP is really the pinnacle of the ideal they started towards when they first made the game, I agree. The only compromise imo was Plane of Knowl she having portal stones. Taking out the druid / wizard travel economy made the world a lot smaller. But otherwise, as far as the idea of questing forever, PoP era has just the right amount of content and alternate progression. And the encounters were just the right amount of challenge without being beat-your-head-against-the-wall-til-the-next-expansion's-level-cap-increase hard.

And then LDoN also was a little too much "forever" for the amount of reward you got from your questing y'know?

It’s a long time ago now but didn’t SoL erode the need for wizards/druids?

• 1Like

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
I don't know why but questing in SoL solo felt so much more brutal than Velious as a lock, esp the corpse runs.

• 1Seriously?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It’s a long time ago now but didn’t SoL erode the need for wizards/druids?
Only partially. Some wizard spires had a shuttle with a long wait time, only one shuttle to each continent. Taking the spires to North Katana or Dreadlands or whatever could still leave you pretty far away from your destination. Was a great happy medium. PoP took the idea too far with instant travel to every newbie town.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Not like some of it took a lot of work. Sitting down and camping out in the right spot let you avoid the under water part of sirens grotto.

• 1Solidarity

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
The spiders in Firiona Vie always scared the shit out of me when I was younger because they were so fast, and the noises they made.

That and those giant wiggling worms always wigged me out in FV and Western Wastes.

Sometimes EQ was just frightening because your day could turn from good to bad real quick in a number of different ways. Trains were great for that, probably one of the most classic moves in MMO history besides cybering.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The spiders in Firiona Vie always scared the shit out of me when I was younger because they were so fast, and the noises they made.

Did you not use the hidden tunnel that brought you out on the hillside? You could just wallhug and run past them to the LoIO zoneline.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I was thinking of all the trains I created during my time in EQ, which zones were your favorite to train in?

Mine:

Velketor's Labyrinth - starting with the dogs
EC - charmed/buffed/equipped hill giants to the tunnel
Karnor's (favorite) - Starting at Venril and bringing the hand clan to the zone in

As an SK I like turning Lower Guk into a warzone if someone messes around with a camp. There are so many options beyond just a simple feign flop.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If they had made the expansions in this order, level & feature-appropriate, EQ1 would be perfect:
  1. Vanilla
  2. Kunark
  3. Velious
  4. Serpent's Spine
  5. Secrets of Faydwer
  6. Planes of Power
  7. DONE- Go make EQ3

I like this idea a LOT. TSS at 65, SoF at 70, PoP at 75. Change Kunark to 55 cap and you have a 5 level increase for all of them ending at 75, +50% from where it started at level 50.

Much as I like Muramites, I don't think much would be lost in this version of the game, and it'd really feel true to the original vision of EQ. No sci-fi, no waiting 8 years to chase down Kerafyrm. Just giants, dragons, gods, done.

If anything else is at-all necessary for this "original vision version" it might be Veil of Alaris, but not in the form we got it. That continent is shown on world globes as early as Kunark so it was clearly meant by the original devs to be something big later on. I mean they made it huge on the map, second only to Antonica in size. I'd love to know what the original intentions were regarding Alaris (if it even would have been called that). Cause it feels like the devs that finally did create Alaris in 2011 or so pretty much did their own thing with it.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Fuck that level increases are fucking gay.

Shit, levels are gay but most of yall too gay to see how gay that shit is.

Game should be level 50 max from vanilla on and just add new aaps each expansion.

• 1Moron