Everquest Mysteries

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Enchanters could cast the Alliance line on priests of discord to turn them into something like a pet. They wouldn't follow you or anything, but they would aggro anything that attacked you. On SZ I would go to RV with my DE chanter, alliance the PoD in the middle of town, and just stand there waiting for players to attack me. Killed lots and lots of halflings this way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I vaguely remember that one, or at least a similar one. Somehow this enchanter got the Priest of Discord to go rogue on f'n everything. I'm sure it was buffed up because it was literally "let the bodies hit the floor" with guards, vendors, players - anyone or anything that got within aggro distance of that f'ker would just die on sight. If I'm not mistaken, I think the POD ported players that tried to run from him. That was in Felwithe iirc.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I vaguely remember that one, or at least a similar one. Somehow this enchanter got the Priest of Discord to go rogue on f'n everything. I'm sure it was buffed up because it was literally "let the bodies hit the floor" with guards, vendors, players - anyone or anything that got within aggro distance of that f'ker would just die on sight. If I'm not mistaken, I think the POD ported players that tried to run from him. That was in Felwithe iirc.

PoDs were beasts, they could fuck up most things in the zones they were in with ease. They could summon too. The chanter you were talking about might have been using the same trick I used to use, but he was also using it against NPCs. Stupidly, it never occurred to me to try it against NPCs- I only used it to kill PCs.

Bards had an even cooler trick called charm burning. Never figured out how to do it, but there was a bard in my guild that could solo the dragon in DL using the trick during velious (when that mob was very much a raid mob).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yes one time in akan anon a couple combinations of LDs / possibly a death / I came back online and my character was a stationary NPC vendor (but I still had my char, like it duped myself into some placeholder npc). I could sell to although it had nothing in its inventory unless items sold. I was like lvl 4-6 just fucking around and don't remember exactly what caused it. I'm sure this was ripe for exploit somehow. Definitely post kunark, but pre luclin.

A GM came and deleted it.
ah ha, yeah, i remember some dude. nobody i knew had become a merchant type NPC in EC tunnel. sometimes due to so many people selling in the tunnel it would crash the zone. this was during kunark. people were wondering if this was a new NPC or a GM event. meanwhile the dude who was duped was laughing at people in /ooc trying to figure it all out.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I feel like anyone that reads this thread would be interested in these interviews. This specific one is with GM Hobart. He has did a good bit with other devs as well and are all on his Twitch page. I fucking love the stories and information provided (goes into project M).

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Hobart was amazing. Probably the reason why Al'kabor lasted as long as it did. His work will never be forgotten.

Do we still have any EQ dev reading this forum from time to time or anyone with a link to an EQ dev? Doesn't need to be someone currently working on EQ.

I have a deep EQ mechanic question to ask.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Hobart was amazing. Probably the reason why Al'kabor lasted as long as it did. His work will never be forgotten.

Do we still have any EQ dev reading this forum from time to time or anyone with a link to an EQ dev? Doesn't need to be someone currently working on EQ.

I would follow this guys twitch and watch for when he does interviews. There are usually former employees in the chat.

• 1Like

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>

Yes but those deep questions would be better suited to non dev pretty much, they just dont remember most the time.

On a cooler note, E Elidroth said he might do a AMA (ask me anything) / talk with lovingrobot for a while and just shoot the shit. Please do it if you remember! It would be a pretty cool few hours if you can find the time and maybe help with some of the missing parts of the EQ lore.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I would follow this guys twitch and watch for when he does interviews. There are usually former employees in the chat.
Zaide Zaide has done a really great job at telling a bunch of random old ass info while he explores a world for the 4,193rd time. Bunch a old names pop in and talk and its an easy background noise if youre into it.

Watch ZaideGod with me on Twitch!

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Has anyone ever asked any of the early devs about early itemization? You see really bizarre things like classic raid gear where melee and wis casters got items with +int, +dex for some casters, and +int for wis casters/melee. That shit's always bothered me

Daidraco

Has anyone ever asked any of the early devs about early itemization? You see really bizarre things like classic raid gear where melee and wis casters got items with +int, +dex for some casters, and +int for wis casters/melee. That shit's always bothered me

Long story short, stats were originally intended to be more role player friendly. Int, Wis, and Cha all had saves built into them at one point for resistances. Int for fire/ice, Wis for Poi/Dis, Cha for Magic. Agility wasnt capped at 75, and increased at 5 ac per point, dex applied crit % across all classes etc. etc. Each was changed anywhere from Beta all the way into live, months down the road. Itemization, although handcrafted was built on the original idea behind those stats. I would venture so far as to say that early itemization wasnt created based on stat weights, but under some other methodology.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Oh oops wrong thread but thanks :D
To be fair, it was an EverQuest Mystery you had.
tenor.gif

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 4 users

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
Long story short, stats were originally intended to be more role player friendly. Int, Wis, and Cha all had saves built into them at one point for resistances. Int for fire/ice, Wis for Poi/Dis, Cha for Magic. Agility wasnt capped at 75, and increased at 5 ac per point, dex applied crit % across all classes etc. etc. Each was changed anywhere from Beta all the way into live, months down the road. Itemization, although handcrafted was built on the original idea behind those stats. I would venture so far as to say that early itemization wasnt created based on stat weights, but under some other methodology.

This sounds much better than how it ended up. Now the mystery is why they chose to change it. I'm sure it is easier to balance when stats do less and fewer things.

• 1Like

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Discussed around 14min mark here.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hobart was finally able to answer why the Luclin soundtrack not put into the game till 15+ years later... CD disc size.

They couldn't fit the MP3's on the disc and I guess didn't want to shell out $0.25 for another install CD. Then they pulled a Dany and kinda forgot.

• 1Worf