Everquest - Phinigel server

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
As eqmule said on Redguides, this server was mainly a test to see if it would fail on its own merits. Sounds like it's going to fail on its own merits based on the nerd rage from the exp rate.

Question - Will the MQ2Map plugin work on the Phinigel server?
It was either have this succeed and have no more MQ2 or have MQ2 on all servers. Sounds like you're gonna have box armies for years to come.

Long live P99.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
As eqmule said on Redguides, this server was mainly a test to see if it would fail on its own merits. Sounds like it's going to fail on its own merits based on the nerd rage from the exp rate.

It was either have this succeed and have no more MQ2 or have MQ2 on all servers. Sounds like you're gonna have box armies for years to come.

Long live P99.
Yes the staff there needs more second income.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider

Long live P99.
Fail on it's own merits is alot different than having idiots at DBG slip in a poison pill at the last second.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
By the way I liked your definition of casual on the boards with 20 hours a week of play time. Well done.
I thought I said 10-15 technically. It was late however perhaps I'm misremembering while getting ready to crawl into bed - but even at 20 hr/wk, that's a consistent 3 hrs a night. Average American watches 4 hrs of TV every single day. I'd consider EQ something that could slot in the same available time, shrug.

Even during my 12 hr/day work days I'd still play EQ more than that during the timeframes where I was hammered and couldn't play during my work hours. (10 hrs working, 2 hrs commute)

It's all in how you prioritize. I'd personally consider "average TV watching" range players to be casual myself though. Sure, there's ultra-casual below that. But personally my definition of "casual" in MMOs has more to do with having an RL schedule that conflicts vs. the "hardcore" of being able to hop on at any given hour - rather than total hours one desires to play. More about WHEN they play versus how much - since hardcore/softcore to me is more of a matter of attitude of play and priority as compared to RL than hours. Detheb on here for example I'd consider quite hardcore, but realistically it sounded like he played 8-10 hrs most weeks - yet he's one of the more hardcore people I've met recently.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I am not sure playing one game like a second job is casual. I mean its pretty normal for us on this board but certainly not in general.

Thraka_sl

shitlord
341.jpg

Buy 5 Krono and Save! [December 11-December 13, Pacific Time]
I'm guessing these guys have a December year end. This is just getting hilarious at this point.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
If they were smart they would have a big sale on cash/potions right now.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Too bad 5 krono for $70 is still more expensive than 5 krono for 7 each, ho ho

Vaclav

I am not sure playing one game like a second job is casual. I mean its pretty normal for us on this board but certainly not in general.
I think the biggest thing they should do, honestly, if I was them - was to try to work something in along the lines of Rest XP/Vitality - if they want to make light playtime folks (moving away from "casual" intentionally - yes its wordier, but less room for debate on the term this way) more comfortable.

Obviously their likely main concern is the bleeding edge players, but it's impacting both. Rest XP/Vit to effectively softcap XP per day to something they're comfy with while tying up the Frenzic's and Ducreux's seems the most sensible "known solution" to fix things without letting those types blow the doors off things in under a week.

Vaclav

Aren't those players going to play regardless? They never go anywhere.
I meant their concern with them being that the "slow people" whine about them getting too far ahead. Not worrying about upsetting them. The "Hey Nag was killed in 2 days" complaints were real common before. =/

Narrowing the gap would likely alleviate most of that. If people are knocking out the raids in a week while you're taking 2 weeks to level it doesn't feel as direly far behind. Or whatever hypothetical numbers we want to use.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Everquest has always had a crowd of players that are just embarrassingly whiny basement dwellers. And I dont doubt those players for a second would whine again about people out leveling them dramatically again, but at least on this server they have a light at the end of the tunnel with the instancing. The slow rates were not necessary at all. Now they have made the experience not enjoyable for a large section of players in addition to the ones who would always whine regardless.

Vaclav

Everquest has always had a crowd of players that are just embarrassingly whiny basement dwellers. And I dont doubt those players for a second would whine again about people out leveling them dramatically again, but at least on this server they have a light at the end of the tunnel with the instancing. The slow rates were not necessary at all. Now they have made the experience not enjoyable for a large section of players in addition to the ones who would always whine regardless.
I do agree with that - in fact part of why I was a crusader for a server like this to happen. But there does seem to be a rational reasoning that can be found if you look for it.

I think it's the wrong approach for it however.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
This is every MMO ever made.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Nag dying in 2 days was a problem of how ludicrously OP pets and SKs were, not so much the ability to poop sock your way as close to 50 as possible. It also doesn't matter when or how soon he dies on this server, everybody can do it and doesn't have to compete so who cares? lol

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Well, don't feel so bad that I haven't put any time in yet. Think I'll wait and see if anything changes here.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Going through the work to add raid instancing to Classic EQ content so everyone could experience raiding at their own speed without interference or pressure and then gating it behind a 150 hours of pure grinding is the goof of all time.

Oh, and Kunark goes live March 10th.