Everquest - Phinigel server

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i'll be dicking around on here on my eponymous necro. nothing serious probably.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just caught wind of this server- does it even remotely resemble classic EQ, or have they chopped up the code and left in so many neo-EQ features that it seems like nothing more than a "poorly done emu server" as someone else said?

I ask, because if it's a legit classic server I'd be interested in playing.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Just caught wind of this server- does it even remotely resemble classic EQ, or have they chopped up the code and left in so many neo-EQ features that it seems like nothing more than a "poorly done emu server" as someone else said?

I ask, because if it's a legit classic server I'd be interested in playing.
Other than time locked content it's really nothing like classic.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
On Lockjaw at the open we had a ton of guilds on the initial rotation (before Daybreak started enforcing them officially) with more wanting to get on it. There were tons and tons and tons of people that wanted to do the content. With raid instancing all six or seven of those guilds could have been out there at least giving it a go. Hell, some of those casual guilds on their early dragon attempts were willing to bind rush over and over to secure a kill. That's pretty hardcore all things considered. If people are no longer in direct zero sum competition with each other over raid targets almost everyone could kill themselves some dragons.

Phinny isn't ever going to get to a position where it's got just tons and tons of people giving the end game a go and there is absolutely no reason to be gating 16 year old content like this. If it takes 100 hours for a static group premade with exp pots running sitting at the best exp spots in game it's going to take even a serious player twice that.
This guy knows.

At this point it's not even about being casual or wtf ever, i just have no fucking desire to level my 203,948,098th character, and at some snails retard pace.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
On Lockjaw at the open we had a ton of guilds on the initial rotation (before Daybreak started enforcing them officially) with more wanting to get on it. There were tons and tons and tons of people that wanted to do the content. With raid instancing all six or seven of those guilds could have been out there at least giving it a go. Hell, some of those casual guilds on their early dragon attempts were willing to bind rush over and over to secure a kill. That's pretty hardcore all things considered. If people are no longer in direct zero sum competition with each other over raid targets almost everyone could kill themselves some dragons.

Phinny isn't ever going to get to a position where it's got just tons and tons of people giving the end game a go and there is absolutely no reason to be gating 16 year old content like this. If it takes 100 hours for a static group premade with exp pots running sitting at the best exp spots in game it's going to take even a serious player twice that.
The best thing they could have done for Subs would have been to make XP the same speed as the last servers, re-tune or remove the boss buffs and just let people have fun.

I just totally don't get it. It's not like it even takes a smart person to make these calls but its like DBG is just straight trying to fail.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
what's the minimum number of toons to take down the buffed versions of classic raid bosses?

Needless

Toe Sucker
The best thing they could have done for Subs would have been to make XP the same speed as the last servers, re-tune or remove the boss buffs andjust let people have fun.

I just totally don't get it. It's not like it even takes a smart person to make these calls but its like DBG is just straight trying to fail.
Negro pls, No fun allowed when it comes to SoE/Daybreak!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
so even tho there's instanced raids, you're still going to end up having to zerg with a bunch of strangers

lol

if DBG doesn't put the original versions in the instances then they're even stupider than i thought

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Negro pls, No fun allowed when it comes to SoE/Daybreak!
That's a real mindset that some people have. That the exp on RF/LJ was too fast, it was too easy, everyone just wants their welfare loot so fuck 'em. They'll get to do a couple dragons before Kunark launches maybe and that's good enough for them.

I don't get it at all. There's this vocal part of the EQ playerbase that are curmudgeons that would actively choose for less people to have a good time playing the game than for more people having fun playing the game. The exp is super slow? GOOD. Oh, I won't be playing there and if I do I'll quit right away but let me go ahead and tell you all about how Everquest should be.

It's fucking 2015. Let everyone in. Everyone gets to raid Sky and do VP and at least walk into Sleeper's Tomb and Vex Thal and stab Quarm in the butthole. If you can get enough people to take the bosses on you get to get in there and give it a go without some gaggle of super pros cockblocking the entire server until it dies because hey, that's just how the game is played. If the goal for Daybreak is dollars (which it is) they should start copying how Blizzard does things. Reasonable level progression, content can everyone can take a shot at, and when a new expansion unlocks a mechanism to catch people up. If Daybreak took Phinny and fixed the exp and then later added bonus exp for characters level 1-50 when Kunark launched they'd have people sticking around for expansion after expansion after expansion selling them pots and trinkets and shit the whole time. Hell, once raid instancing is in place you can then add Heroic modes for Nagafen and Vox and shit. The hardcore would eat that up if there was Heroic Nagafen to go take a shot at. Something really fucking hard with more loot drops or slightly improved versions of existing drops. Make them hard asfuck.

Everybody wins.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Jesus christ, just logged on my 4 chars, havent moved or anything, constant disconnects. Not sure what they "anti box one keystroke dc" code is but its shit

Zaide

TLP Idealist
so even tho there's instanced raids, you're still going to end up having to zerg with a bunch of strangers

lol

if DBG doesn't put the original versions in the instances then they're even stupider than i thought
You could do it with 36 people for sure. I mean we cleared VP with 35 and so did TL and in the end we decided it could have been done with less. You just can't do it with 36 people if 12 are warm bodies who aggro the raid mob and fuck up positioning or try to finish their sandwich while they're pressing the CH button etc.

Almost every dragon in EQ is just "Can you count to twelve? If you collect 18-30 people who answer yes you win!"

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
even before Ragefire and Lockjaw dropped i was really just hoping for a server where i could get together with 5 of my buddies and go single group classic raid bosses. oh well.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Sticky up in the official TLP forums: They believe that people leveled too fast & killed raid mobs too quickly (showing their obvious lack of knowledge considering it was Mage pets). They don't intend on changing the xp rate currently.

This company is fucking retarded. Almost believe they want to Team Tank and get that severance package.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Since then they have buffed all raid bosses, given a stacking debuff to pets versus raid targets that is pretty savage, and then just now they nerfed pets again and set it so their threat was transfered to the owner. No one is going to be killing shit for a couple of days.

The amount of people on the official forums that are saying they are happy with the exp rate is maddening. I wish I could give each one of them a phone call when they stop logging in and ask them where they went. Wasn't this just what you said you wanted?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
even before Ragefire and Lockjaw dropped i was really just hoping for a server where i could get together with 5 of my buddies and go single group classic raid bosses. oh well.
Live servers are your only option for doing things like that.

Sticky up in the official TLP forums: They believe that people leveled too fast & killed raid mobs too quickly (showing their obvious lack of knowledge considering it was Mage pets). They don't intend on changing the xp rate currently.

This company is fucking retarded. Almost believe they want to Team Tank and get that severance package.
It was mage pets, but also because that was the simplest/easiest way at first, not the "Only" way. If you had the same exp gain on phinny as others, dragons would be dead in 4-5 days, instead of 2. They're not hard. Learn to dodge AEs and you are perfectly fine.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Live servers are your only option for doing things like that.
i'm aware. and even tho they're the only option, they're still a pretty shitty option.

dunno why daybreak doesn't just give people what they want.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
With Ragefire and Lockjaw what they need to do is announce the servers are merging are Feb 1st or March 1st and that the merger will also coincide with the unlock of Velious. They need to make this announcement before the servers are actually dead and the players have moved on to spend their time on other things.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
You're welcome
wink.png