Everquest - Phinigel server

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought so too, but even it isn't, it would be a horrible place to attempt to fear kite anything.
Depends, plenty of stuff just runs in place as if snared even when not snared. Pathing there is horrible in beneficial ways quite often. Not that I'd ever bother the risk, the ZEM is awful.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Oh man, this Wednesday eh? I feel like I should actually give this one a try because why not.

DPS or support class suggestions from the progression vets?

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh man, this Wednesday eh? I feel like I should actually give this one a try because why not.

DPS or support class suggestions from the progression vets?
Play what you enjoy imo, every class has a need pretty much. Not sure if youre thinking paladin like you like in WoW but they are ok tanks in classic and basically group tanks from kunark on. Same with SKs except you can DPS but don't have the group heals or utility a Pally has.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Play what you enjoy imo, every class has a need pretty much. Not sure if youre thinking paladin like you like in WoW but they are ok tanks in classic and basically group tanks from kunark on. Same with SKs except you can DPS but don't have the group heals or utility a Pally has.
Naw, I wouldn't play a tank. I've got a solid understanding of how classes worked in actually live as well as P99, I just know the experience is a little different on the progression servers. I spent most of my time as a necro in classic.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Naw, I wouldn't play a tank. I've got a solid understanding of how classes worked in actually live as well as P99, I just know the experience is a little different on the progression servers. I spent most of my time as a necro in classic.
Necros are much stronger on progression if you like them. Youll get focus effects which weren't in classic as well as range crafted idols and other randoms.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Necros are much stronger on progression if you like them. Youll get focus effects which weren't in classic as well as range crafted idols and other randoms.
Yeah might work. I'll think it over. The wow guild I'm in is still going strong and we're hitting mythic manno progression pretty hard right now so this EQ thing would just be a casual thing. I just know I always pass on these progression servers and then feel like I missed out afterwards.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Really thinking about getting into this. Have not played EQ since quitting at the start of GoD. Might go Enchanter always liked their style of play, playing a necro in raids was always boring as fuck, great outside though.

Any advice for a progression server noob?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Having been in Kunark a while now I wouldn't recommend anyone play a Rogue, a Ranger, or a Paladin. The rest of the cast is fine. Even at level 60 with raid gear and an epic Rogues don't parse all that great, Rangers parse worse, and while Paladins are useful as tanks in Classic they have nothing to do outside of group content in Kunark. If you want to be a melee dps be a Monk and if you want to be a non-warrior tank be a Shadow Knight. On almost every encounter in Kunark the top damage dealers are Shadow Knights and Monks. Both of those classes have good utility in groups content as well and are still plenty great in Classic.

All the healers are fine, all the casters are fine, warriors are fine. Can't hurt yourself picking any of them.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah might work. I'll think it over. The wow guild I'm in is still going strong and we're hitting mythic manno progression pretty hard right now so this EQ thing would just be a casual thing. I just know I always pass on these progression servers and then feel like I missed out afterwards.
You're only missing out on drama and poopsocking, progressions servers are like someone throwing a box of neon crayons into a room at Jerry's Kids.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
You're only missing out on drama and poopsocking, progressions servers are like someone throwing a box of neon crayons into a room at Jerry's Kids.
Aren't you like king shit of fuck mountain on one of the current progression servers? I'm just looking for a little nostalgia trip. I did the poopsock thing on P99 for a while and it was enough.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Phinny has full raid instancing. Every person on the server that wants to can try their hand at a Lady Vox, a Lord Nagafen, Innoruuk + all Hate minis, Cazic-Thule + all Fear minis, Master Yael, and the Plane of Skyandthey can do that every weekandthey can do it without any interferenceandat any time of day. That's as much raiding in a week asanyonegot to do back in the day. The people at the top of the food chain (or that are clawing to get there) have no real idea how warped their perception of the game even is at this point.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am just a little baby SK trying to make it to GoD, no more poopsocking for me. After playing once I realized there is people that make this a career on every fresh server and we've had three in six months.

@Arb I totally agree, I saw the light once TL stopped raiding.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Im going to give this server a try. Hard to pick a class, I have a kid on the way in march but I would like to do all the content eventually. I want a class that I can pick up and play for 2 hours or whatever on my day off. Shaman, Bard or Necro are my short list. I know Necro is the best for that kind of schedule but they are soooo boring in groups.

Super casual on current progression, how many hours for 1-50?

Vaclav

I am just a little baby SK trying to make it to GoD, no more poopsocking for me. After playing once I realized there is people that make this a career on every fresh server and we've had three in six months.

@Arb I totally agree, I saw the light once TL stopped raiding.
You've gotta take the SK past GoD if you really want to see them getting good - holy shit is OoW is wonderful expansion for SKs, mind-blowingly good for the class. Them being so good after OoW is why I can't stomach playing them through the first eras anymore.

And glad to see you've come around, man. It's really a shame the bell can't be unrung to set everything back to truly 1999 - I'll be the first to admit that it feels weird that in many ways the instancing approach will actually get us closest to 1999 again - due to population, knowledge, tactics, etc.

Hopefully some other new MMO can scratch the itch like 1999 EQ did eventually.

Vaclav

Super casual on current progression, how many hours for 1-50?
Really varies how much you're min-maxing group composition and XP location - I'd say 1 hr/level for the first 30 and 2 hrs per for the back 20 is a reasonable target though without requiring anything too nuts. (Plus not knowing exactly what the "pet rescaling pre-Luclin" is yet)

That might even be overly conservative of an estimate.