Everquest - Phinigel server

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Really varies how much you're min-maxing group composition and XP location - I'd say 1 hr/level for the first 30 and 2 hrs per for the back 20 is a reasonable target though without requiring anything too nuts. (Plus not knowing exactly what the "pet rescaling pre-Luclin" is yet)

That might even be overly conservative of an estimate.
Wish I didn't have such a huge work load. Sounds like I could do that in a weekend.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wish I didn't have such a huge work load. Sounds like I could do that in a weekend.
I'm sure some people will - I'm pacing myself so my daily targets will be: 20, 30, 40, 45, 50 so 5 days if all goes to plan. Got a feeling I'll slack more than that though.

Got some bad health news this week so I think I'll be prone to taking a break the minute anything frustrating happens.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well with the server being released mid week, I personally doubt I get very high at all since I gotta work those 3 days. (especially with never doing one of these progression servers) I am shooting for being 25ish by the end of the weekend. That may not be a very high goal for the 4th day, but we will see.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
You've gotta take the SK past GoD if you really want to see them getting good - holy shit is OoW is wonderful expansion for SKs, mind-blowingly good for the class. Them being so good after OoW is why I can't stomach playing them through the first eras anymore.

And glad to see you've come around, man. It's really a shame the bell can't be unrung to set everything back to truly 1999 - I'll be the first to admit that it feels weird that in many ways the instancing approach will actually get us closest to 1999 again - due to population, knowledge, tactics, etc.

Hopefully some other new MMO can scratch the itch like 1999 EQ did eventually.
SK's are also very good if not the top DPS through Velious depending on the encounter, its not like we fall off in Luclin we just don't top the parse anymore.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Necros are much stronger on progression if you like them. Youll get focus effects which weren't in classic as well as range crafted idols and other randoms.
Ya I love my necro. I'm tempted to make 4 instead of 1 nec 3 mages lol but I'd have to actually cast spells

Vaclav

SK's are also very good if not the top DPS through Velious depending on the encounter, its not like we fall off in Luclin we just don't top the parse anymore.
I'm talking more about fun level - just so many good memories of soloing Riftseekers in OoW and duoing Sol Ro with a Bard during PoP. There's a reason I went back to being a cleric, I don't care about micromanaging parses anymore, hah.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I recommend enjoying the journey. I tried to group in strange places and see everything on Lockjaw. Didn't always work because of boxers trashing entire zones or holding certain camps forever.

But yea, take a group to cazic or kedge or hop over to the live side. Don't look at your xp bar too much, don't join a guild, and just build up a good friends list. Log in and do whatever you feel like!

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
You have to take into account time spent buying spells and making trips to sell enough junk to afford those spells. There's a LOT of time wasting shit that only really applies to your first character on a fresh server.

Vaclav

You have to take into account time spent buying spells and making trips to sell enough junk to afford those spells. There's a LOT of time wasting shit that only really applies to your first character on a fresh server.
Origin + Gate box FTW!

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Shoot I remember I bought spells asap from researchers n like 2 days later spell prices were cut in half. Not sure I'm gonna rush to buy researched spells this time. Well unless it's 40+.

And yeah it took a lot of time

Noahx

N00b
I recommend enjoying the journey. I tried to group in strange places and see everything on Lockjaw. Didn't always work because of boxers trashing entire zones or holding certain camps forever.

But yea, take a group to cazic or kedge or hop over to the live side. Don't look at your xp bar too much, don't join a guild, and just build up a good friends list. Log in and do whatever you feel like!
This is the route I took on rage and lock... loved it. This is the best time to do it as the lower end pop will be plentiful. I still haven't done much of King Xorb, HH/k, Mistmoor, or Perma. I hit everything else pretty good. That said, screw kedge.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Having been in Kunark a while now I wouldn't recommend anyone play a Rogue, a Ranger, or a Paladin. The rest of the cast is fine. Even at level 60 with raid gear and an epic Rogues don't parse all that great, Rangers parse worse, and while Paladins are useful as tanks in Classic they have nothing to do outside of group content in Kunark. If you want to be a melee dps be a Monk and if you want to be a non-warrior tank be a Shadow Knight. On almost every encounter in Kunark the top damage dealers are Shadow Knights and Monks. Both of those classes have good utility in groups content as well and are still plenty great in Classic.

All the healers are fine, all the casters are fine, warriors are fine. Can't hurt yourself picking any of them.
Rogues are that bad? I started playing my rogue in Velious until OoW and we were usually near the top for almost every expac. I was actually considering the rogue again but this really makes me less interested.

Guess I'm sticking with the wizard, necro,or shaman plan.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Rogues are that bad? I started playing my rogue in Velious until OoW and we were usually near the top for almost every expac. I was actually considering the rogue again but this really makes me less interested.

Guess I'm sticking with the wizard, necro,or shaman plan.
They parsed like dog poop through all of Classic and are solidly behind SKs and Monks in Kunark. Depending on the encounter it's either always Monks at the top followed by SKs or SKs at the top followed by Monks while all the Rogues, Wizards, and Necromancers fight for positioning below them. If you want to be topping the parses in Classic that's Wizard on some fights, Necro on some fights, and Monk on some fights (Sky). If you want to be topping the parses in Kunark it is Monk on some fights and SKs on other fights. I can't see anything in Velious really changing that.

I know everyone got on board the Mage Train for Ragefire and for Lockjaw but I really cannot recommend SKs enough. That class gets so damned ridiculous in Kunark.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Well they did add that passive AA melee buff, I think first rank is at 50? so they should parse better than classic ragefire.. .but yeah poop ;p nec/wiz were top in classic just dont be one of those dumb necros that think spamming lifetap is the way to the top

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
They parsed like dog poop through all of Classic and are solidly behind SKs and Monks in Kunark. Depending on the encounter it's either always Monks at the top followed by SKs or SKs at the top followed by Monks while all the Rogues, Wizards, and Necromancers fight for positioning below them. If you want to be topping the parses in Classic that's Wizard on some fights, Necro on some fights, and Monk on some fights (Sky). If you want to be topping the parses in Kunark it is Monk on some fights and SKs on other fights. I can't see anything in Velious really changing that.

I know everyone got on board the Mage Train for Ragefire and for Lockjaw but I really cannot recommend SKs enough. That class gets so damned ridiculous in Kunark.
I played a wizard on Lockjaw but never really got to raid due to work. I played an SK post GoD and they definitely get really good later and both SK's and Pallys become amazing tanks later on. I do like the Necro's ability to go anywhere they want and do what ever they want.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Didn't know SKs were that good. How are they in classic?

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Also I assume this SK dps is with two handers? In other words they are not using their tanking sword and board and wrecking the dps right?

Vaclav

Also I assume this SK dps is with two handers? In other words they are not using their tanking sword and board and wrecking the dps right?
Typically - later eras the gap between 1H and 2H isn't that great though.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider

Ya before all the retarded pet Nerf it was more balanced. Now its monk SK all the way. That said by kunark rogue is gonna start to pull even and then the gap will widen every xpac from then. By pop on fippy they were gods, and that was with no buff, tho on fippy they did have puma which m?l?e prolly won't get here.