Everquest - Selos Server - 20th Anniversary Casual Server

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Skill gain was already jacked up in modern EQ. back-in-the-day getting a skill up was a mini accomplishment. This new change to skill ups puts one of the last pains in the ass to powerleveling to bed.

As someone who fights against any and all things that makes the game easier, tis a shame.

Having a 1% chance at a skillup for pushing the same button over and over and over and over and over and over mindlessly is not CHALLENGE. It's TEDIUM. There is no easier gameplay mechanic in the game than trying to get skillups. It's mindless, repetitive shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's great, getting rid of tediousness just for the sake of tediousness is a good thing. Because sitting around for 10 hours playing a song and getting 8 skillups was not nor ever was a good thing. Nor was sitting around casting a level 1-5 spell a few hundred times in a row.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Having a 1% chance at a skillup for pushing the same button over and over and over and over and over and over mindlessly is not CHALLENGE. It's TEDIUM. There is no easier gameplay mechanic in the game than trying to get skillups. It's mindless, repetitive shit.

Except it helps encourage actual play of the character instead of having it sit in a corner getting PLed.

• 1Salty

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Except it helps encourage actual play of the character instead of having it sit in a corner getting PLed.

This is completely false. It doesn't incentivize actual gameplay. It incentivizes repetitive brainless actions. You know how people get too swimming 200? They put on a water breathing item, find a corning where water is located, put something on the forward key and go to bed. THAT is terrible game design. THAT is why skillups are shit.

• 3Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
This is completely false. It doesn't incentivize actual gameplay. It incentivizes repetitive brainless actions. You know how people get too swimming 200? They put on a water breathing item, find a corning where water is located, put something on the forward key and go to bed. THAT is terrible game design. THAT is why skillups are shit.

That is unattended game play and should (use to be) prohibited.

I was a troll SK day one of rallos. Tons of water in the newb area that I naturally went in and out of hunting rats. Swimming skill went up in the course of play. The first time I went "raiding" for human scum in North Ro, me and my troll Shaman budy used our superior swimming skill to our good advantage. Just one small example.

Or how about the races that naturally start with higher skill (Iksar for swimming, hide/sneak for halfings, safe fall for cat people, etc) and were designed and balanced with that in mind? Trivial skill ups take away from that.

The constant peeling away of small systems that you fools deem "trivial" or "tedious" is what got us to the pile of casual shit we have now in the MMO game culture.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty

Korillo

Molten Core Raider

I power levelled many toons and just used an auto clicker to train all their spell casting skills while I was asleep or at work. Same with defense skills, offense skills etc. Just used a mage pet while I was afk/away. It was very engaging gameplay, you are right.

The truth is the vast majority of people still playing TLP servers just want to relive EQ by killing all the bosses they never got to kill & getting all the gear they never got to wear. This isn't 2001 anymore. Almost every enjoys the qualify of life improvements. The people who don't are over playing P99.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I power levelled many toons and just used an auto clicker to train all their spell casting skills while I was asleep or at work. Same with defense skills, offense skills etc. Just used a mage pet while I was afk/away. It was very engaging gameplay, you are right.

The truth is the vast majority of people still playing TLP servers just want to relive EQ by killing all the bosses they never got to kill & getting all the gear they never got to wear. This isn't 2001 anymore. Almost every enjoys the qualify of life improvements. The people who don't are over playing P99.

More unattended game play. I guess you don't mind total bot automation that xps for you too, since grinding forglocks for 20 levels gets tedious?

• 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That is unattended game play and should (use to be) prohibited.

The constant peeling away of small systems that you fools deem "trivial" or "tedious" is what got us to the pile of casual shit we have now in the MMO game culture.

I could go on a whole big 10 paragraph rant as to why you are wrong, but im not going to. Its a fine balance between tedium and fun, and 1/2 the shit EQ had for their systems at launch was tedium, not fun.

• 2Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I could go on a whole big 10 paragraph rant as to why you are wrong, but im not going to. Its a fine balance between tedium and fun, and 1/2 the shit EQ had for their systems at launch was tedium, not fun.

Wish you would , because there was a good gameplay/community building/world building reason for 99 percent of the items you'd put in those 10 paragraphs.

• 1Salty
  • 1WTF

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Wish you would , because there was a good gameplay/community building/world building reason for 99 percent of the items you'd put in those 10 paragraphs.

At the expence of 90% of your playerbase bailing as soon as something else showed up less tedious. If it was that good, why didnt people stay?

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Ok I had to go back to the wayback machine for this, but this is fun EQ history. About my example of swiming naturally going up in a troll's noob lands being a swamp and the game play advantage it gave me. This is from Bohica's Lair a VERY OLD shaman website from the dawn of EQ:

2/21/99 Bohica, now 9th level and in possession of the reknowned spell "Spirit of Wolf" decides to cross the great desert of Rho in search of human rump roast. Shouting out his intentions throughout the swamp and inviting all comers resulted in a single ally for Bohica on this hunt. Blood thirsty troll shadowknight Locnar joined Bohica and they set off on their evil mission. Leaving a path of smashed puma's in their wake, the pair arrive in Northern Ro. Near the outskirts of a Dervish camp, they encounter their first bounty - the corpses of four human adventurers. Grabbing what they could carry and eating their fill of flesh, they continued slightly north to the edge of the desert. It was here that they encountered their first victim. Poor Genoin did not last long against the feindish might of the pair and soon their packs were full for the coming night's feast. As they contemplated the return to Grobb, what did they see on the horizon? It was the troll delicacy, a halfling, strolling near the grasses' edge. Such a treat cannot be passed by easily. So it was that Locnar and Bohica fell upon halfling. The furry-foot, facing superior numbers and a superior race, rightly retreated to the guard nearby and our green-skinned anti-heros pulled behind a dune to regroup. Then the trip went bad. The halfling was not nearly so alone as he looked. He came back with a vengence, bringing Lilriva, Fyrehart, Hypoluxa, Genion, Grogfu, and Grogan with him. Bohica stood his ground for the initial onslaught, allowing Locnar to seek refuge beneath the nearby waves of the sea. Finally, out of mana and surrounded by shorties, Bohica set off for the Oasis of Marr and the path to home. Suddenly, roots grew out from the surrounding sand. Bohica froze in his tracks as his pursuers closed the gap. Spells, swords, and more roots finished Bohica in short order. All-in-all, it was a great, in-character battle. I congratulate the enemy on their and prowess.

Wayback Machine

Maybe some of you day 1 shamans remember his site. He was my pvping budy back then, when most of rallos role played and it was a lot of good vs evil.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
At the expence of 90% of your playerbase bailing as soon as something else showed up less tedious. If it was that good, why didnt people stay?

This. People like Locnar Locnar don't understand why their Vision (TM) of MMO's is a marketplace disaster given where MMO's have evolved to in the past 20 years. Sure EQ is still going, but it is nowhere NEAR as tedious as it was in 1999. And it HAD to become that way in order to maintain any kind of economic viability.

• 3Like

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
Ok I had to go back to the wayback machine for this, but this is fun EQ history. About my example of swiming naturally going up in a troll's noob lands being a swamp and the game play advantage it gave me. This is from Bohica's Lair a VERY OLD shaman website from the dawn of EQ".

Project 1999

I'm sure you'll find some like-minded people over at p99. I would suggest playing there if the original experience is what you are after.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Project 1999

I'm sure you'll find some like-minded people over at p99. I would suggest playing there if the original experience is what you are after.

I did more than play there, helped with database fixes too. And yes I'm very appreciative of that project. I just can't understand why the official owners of EQ are so resistant to their own original project.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Picard

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Project 1999

Yeah I tried this a while ago. Played for 2 hours or so, killed shit, sat and medded, killed some more, sat some more...purchased a bag, had some plats, things looking up, ran around the city, for 30 min, found the dude selling spells, bought some, went back killed, sat, killed, sat some more...then decided to venture forward, maybe make my way to qeynos until some shitbag attacked me, I ran for my life, lost my corpse in nektilous. While trying to find it, I lost 2 levels....Logged off.

• 1Worf

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

Because the players (like children and adults for that matter) gravitate towards the path of least resistance and the quick fix. But its never as satisfying long term. See the last decade and a half of revolving shit MMOs spring up and die over and over.

There is a reason Brad and co. said you were in THEIR world now.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
I did more than play there, helped with database fixes too. And yes I'm very appreciative of that project. I just can't understand why the official owners of EQ are so resistant to their own original project.

Because anyone who wants that experience is already playing p99.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Because the players (like children and adults for that matter) gravitate towards the path of least resistance and the quick fix. But its never as satisfying long term. See the last decade and a half of revolving shit MMOs spring up and die over and over.

There is a reason Brad and co. said you were in THEIR world now.

With the major glaring exception of THE anti-EQ MMO that has been king of the mountain since it came out in 2004....

• 2Like