Everquest - Selos Server - 20th Anniversary Casual Server

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
"roleplaying" is the term used for people who self-handicap themselves for whatever reason.

You were almost onto something with this, then you lost your way with the rest of the post.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Selo starting in luclin means no pre nerf CoS? Is there an instant invis aa for necros?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Selo starting in luclin means no pre nerf CoS? Is there an instant invis aa for necros?

The speculation is that CoS is one of the items flagged to drop for X amount of days from launch rather than be connected to any specific expansion.

There's always invis pots otherwise.

Sterling

El Presidente
It's DoDH for necro, SoD for sk, and is a 2nd rank that makes it permanent duration later.

Last edited:

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
The constant peeling away of small systems that you fools deem "trivial" or "tedious" is what got us to the pile of casual shit we have now in the MMO game culture.

Muh Slippery slope.

Nah MMOs are better without a lot of these small and tedious systems.
Things like LFR/Dungeon Finder in WoW or the PoP stones that's a different story.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Muh Slippery slope.

Nah MMOs are better without a lot of these small and tedious systems.
Things like LFR/Dungeon Finder in WoW or the PoP stones that's a different story.
I actually think LFR/Dungeon finder are fine. They allow wow to also be a tourist game that people can play for a couple weeks every content patch to see the content. But WoW also has normal/heroic/mythic raids as well. Mythic raiding in WoW is orders of magnitude harder than anything on a TLP. The problem with WoW is the stuff between tourist mode and all out hardcore is mostly pretty shitty.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well, I think that the nostalgia bug is going to end up winning out for this - especially with this being the 20 year anniversary. I wanted to do PoE, but *another* crafting patch is bleh for me.

So, I'm at a loss for what to play. My playtimes will be in large chunks at a time (8+ hours), but typically limited to 1 day a week. I love grouping and chatting it up with the bois, but there are also nights that I'd ideally just like to chill the fuck out and grind a camp/item for several hours whilst listening to music/watching YouTube. I'm thinking that limits my options to BST, SHM, or NEC, right? Those are the only classes I can think of which are relatively powerful solo, but still solid in a group and possible raid setting, yes?

• 1Solidarity

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
I actually think LFR/Dungeon finder are fine. They allow wow to also be a tourist game that people can play for a couple weeks every content patch to see the content. But WoW also has normal/heroic/mythic raids as well. Mythic raiding in WoW is orders of magnitude harder than anything on a TLP. The problem with WoW is the stuff between tourist mode and all out hardcore is mostly pretty shitty.

They kill the community aspect of the game and the feeling of being in a massive world since you can just Q up in a city and be ported instantly too them.

Without those MMOs are basically just shitty ARPGs

• 1EyeRoll

Sterling

El Presidente
Well, I think that the nostalgia bug is going to end up winning out for this - especially with this being the 20 year anniversary. I wanted to do PoE, but *another* crafting patch is bleh for me.

So, I'm at a loss for what to play. My playtimes will be in large chunks at a time (8+ hours), but typically limited to 1 day a week. I love grouping and chatting it up with the bois, but there are also nights that I'd ideally just like to chill the fuck out and grind a camp/item for several hours whilst listening to music/watching YouTube. I'm thinking that limits my options to BST, SHM, or NEC, right? Those are the only classes I can think of which are relatively powerful solo, but still solid in a group and possible raid setting, yes?
Soloing in general is pretty bad on TLP due to group bonuses really making grouping much better. If you just mean soloing some relatively easy camps in the early expansions while playing once a week you'll probably want something that's relatively low on gear requirements so some kind of caster or priest is probably good. Enchanter gives you charm which is very powerful, but a lot of people don't enjoy the class on raids. Mage or Necro can farm well and Necros can charm also in areas with undead. Shaman is really powerful as well.
They kill the community aspect of the game and the feeling of being in a massive world since you can just Q up in a city and be ported instantly too them.

Sure, but that's what people that play it as tourists do. People that want to play it more substantially can and usually do join guilds or arena teams or whatever. Just because you can treat it as a pseudo solo rpg doesn't mean you have to or that a very large portion of the population doesn't do it the other way.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>

No, they enable the game to be alive at all to find that community.

No LFD is why EQ players jerke themselves off to multi boxing setups and running MQ2. They constantly why about how them and their life partner can’t find a group because they are part time bee keepers and can only play for 37 minute stretches after milking bees by hand all day. They need to be able to box their own groups and don’t understand why that isn’t allowed on the TLP servers. These are also the same people whining if a server doesn’t start in classic because of the nostalgia or that unlocks are too fast for them to experience all of the content in era with the box groups they want to run solo.

Degenerate fuckstains. They would all disappear overnight with a proper LFD which pretty much every single MMO still online has.

• 11Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 12 users

Cupie12

Send Tits Pls

No LFD is why EQ players jerke themselves off to multi boxing setups and running MQ2. They constantly why about how them and their life partner can’t find a group because they are part time bee keepers and can only play for 37 minute stretches after milking bees by hand all day. They need to be able to box their own groups and don’t understand why that isn’t allowed on the TLP servers. These are also the same people whining if a server doesn’t start in classic because of the nostalgia or that unlocks are too fast for them to experience all of the content in era with the box groups they want to run solo.

Degenerate fuckstains. They would all disappear overnight with a proper LFD which pretty much every single MMO still online has.

is this a real thing like thats oddly specific

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider

Wut? how does grouping with random people you've never seen before and likely never see again help you "find that community"

LFD doesn't get rid of those "degenerate shitstains." It fills the "community" with them.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I ended up in a RP guild in EQ2 for a brief time in between expansions, it felt like a cult and I quickly got creeped out. Wasn't any of that ERP, at least openly, it was just weird. EVERYTHING had to be RP in guild chat, made playing the game really awkward when trying to get groups going, or other normal shit. 99% of the RP was pure cringe too. When I played D&D back in the day, we didn't RP taking a piss, or RP what toppings on our pizza, or RP we had to go home in an hour.

Skillups, like in EQ, are an archaic throwback to P&P, they have no place in modern video games. Should have been removed from EQ long ago, especially once leveling 1-60 didn't take months for your average player.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Wut? how does grouping with random people you've never seen before and likely never see again help you "find that community"

LFD doesn't get rid of those "degenerate shitstains." It fills the "community" with them.

It doesnt. But again, if you want community in a game, you will seek out to find one. Take LFD for what it is, easymode shit to introduce people to the game. Some will just do LFG, some will say, hey this game is cool ,I wonder if I can join a guild and do more harder shit. And thus a more hardcore raider is born.

In all honesty whats the difference between that and EQs spamming of "LFG 29 Ranger" then getting into a group for an hour or two, sometimes not even chatting or whatever?

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
It doesnt. But again, if you want community in a game, you will seek out to find one. Take LFD for what it is, easymode shit to introduce people to the game. Some will just do LFG, some will say, hey this game is cool ,I wonder if I can join a guild and do more harder shit. And thus a more hardcore raider is born.

In all honesty whats the difference between that and EQs spamming of "LFG 29 Ranger" then getting into a group for an hour or two, sometimes not even chatting or whatever?

You don't need LFD for that. People didn't magic start going hey lets "be a hardcore raiders" after LFD was a thing. All it does is allow you to avoid most of the community building aspects of the game.

Because if you want to get groups quicker, you make friends with people, you form static groups ect. all this stuff builds the "community" so to speak.

LFD also forces Blizzard to make easier dungeons. Example you can't have CC be important because what if you get Triple Fury Warrior in your dps slots.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>

It does way more than boxing does because you might have to interact with actual humans is the point. It also means more people are in the game period and that the game is actually thriving.

Have you played a single MMO other than EQ in the past 20 years? I have played most of them and trust me the community in all of them is miles ahead of what EQ offers.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Can you get around truebox with VMs? I'm starting to consider two-boxing more and more, but I really don't want to have to get a laptop/cheap machine.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can you get around truebox with VMs? I'm starting to consider two-boxing more and more, but I really don't want to have to get a laptop/cheap machine.

Supposedly you can if you know what you are doing and some way to make them not be able to detect it.