Everquest - Selos Server - 20th Anniversary Casual Server

Sterling

El Presidente
There was a dev post today on the official forums about it. It looks like PoP gets a month, LDoN gets a month and LoY gets a month.
Yeah I saw that post and it's a terrible idea. LoY isn't really an expansion. In most games it would be a mediocre content patch with almost no endgame relevance.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
so with that knowledge, here's what the expansion release schedule looks like for Selo 2019

The Ruins of Kunark
The Scars of Velious
The Shadows of Luclin - MARCH
The Planes of Power - MAY
The Legacy of Ykesha - JUNE
Lost Dungeons of Norrath - JULY
Gates of Discord - AUGUST
Omens of War - SEPTEMBER
Dragons of Norrath - OCTOBER
Depths of Darkhollow - NOVEMBER
Prophecy of Ro - DECEMBER
The Serpent's Spine - JANUARY

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yeah I saw that post and it's a terrible idea. LoY isn't really an expansion. In most games it would be a mediocre content patch with almost no endgame relevance.

Setting aside a whole month for Legacy of Ykesha is the most "ultra-casual" characteristic the server has thus far.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
It will definitely be interesting to see what ends up being optimal. My first thought was just level everyone to 60 and once you've got 3 or 4 groups of 60s could do like PoG > NtoV > Ssra as long as you're just funneling gear to tanks/clerics early you'll be fine I bet.

edit: disclaimer I know absolutely zero about lower end luclin loot and all that shit may be pointless other than just getting shit levelling in luclin and jumping straight into luclin raiding / ntov

Revamped Cazic-Thule might be a good place to start gearing up. There is quite a lot of decent loot in there if its available at the start of Luclin.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i've never seen anyone else do it as a two box. necro not getting a new heal after level 26 til level 43 kinda makes that level range rough, but otherwise it works out a lot better than most people would expect. great for dungeon crawling even with just those two. self-sufficient enough as a two-box but can add pretty much any other class and have them contribute meaningfully.
I played a main Necro for years and had maxed AA's through Rain of Fear. I don't see how a Paladin partner does much for you? A Beastlord, Mage, or Shaman are all pretty good duo partners... but I always felt the Necro did the heavy lifting.

If you want a tank, then why not: Shaman (Troll) & Shadow Knight (Ogre)
-Legit heals
-Haste & buffs to all stats/resists
-SoW
-DoTs & Debuffs up the wazzo
-Slows
-Snares, Fears, Roots
-Pulls with high HP & AC, Feign Death'er
-Damage Shields
-Maybe a bit light on DPS

Or a Druid & Paladin combo, but you lack haste & slows which have always felt like a pretty big deal to me.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I played Ogre SK and Troll Shaman box. Was a really good combo. Can just FD pull anything you need, and throw on torpor when you're too lazy to big heal. SK's can keep aggro even with the mega slow. And SK's are one of the few tanks who can build enough aggro to let your Shaman go full DOT dps and really melt shit. SK/Shaman probably the best hands on combo. The God combo is still probably Druid/Enc or Clr/Enc just because of how stupid charm pets are.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I played a main Necro for years and had maxed AA's through Rain of Fear. I don't see how a Paladin partner does much for you? A Beastlord, Mage, or Shaman are all pretty good duo partners... but I always felt the Necro did the heavy lifting.

If you want a tank, then why not: Shaman (Troll) & Shadow Knight (Ogre)
-Legit heals
-Haste & buffs to all stats/resists
-SoW
-DoTs & Debuffs up the wazzo
-Slows
-Snares, Fears, Roots
-Pulls with high HP & AC, Feign Death'er
-Damage Shields
-Maybe a bit light on DPS

Or a Druid & Paladin combo, but you lack haste & slows which have always felt like a pretty big deal to me.

the Vorthos factor that i mentioned (Vorthos = a Magic term player that makes decisions based on flavor more than on power) is pretty big in my decision. notably, tho, all your suggestions lack Pacify, which i much prefer to FD pulling. on servers where i three box i add a Shaman as my third which does solve a lot of the problems you suggest. usually plenty of Shaman or Enchanters around to group with tho.

i've done Druid + Paladin over Necro + Paladin, and it was awful. the DPS drop from switching to Druid really brought out the worst in the Paladin.

BTW Paladins get self-only haste at level 44, tho it's not big, just 25%.

starting in Luclin for immediate access to Necro's undead-slow will help a lot for shorter sessions where i just two-box.

And SK's are one of the few tanks who can build enough aggro to let your Shaman go full DOT dps and really melt shit.

the perception here also isn't helped by the fact that most Paladins suck and don't understand what spells of theirs generate the most hate. the number of Paladins over the years that i've had to explain to about how Cease and Desist are your bread and butter for aggro...

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Oh man I might just start that, play for a month (lvl 15), then forget about the subscription and cancel after two years. Sounds fun!

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Oh man I might just start that, play for a month (lvl 15), then forget about the subscription and cancel after two years. Sounds fun!

Exp is going to be so fast if you go afk for a bit in a group you might accidentally hit 50.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I may jump in on this for the nostalgia (been a long time since I played EQ). Key question if whether the wife would join me for a duo. Rule set would work for us considering we don't have that kind of expendable time anymore.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I may jump in on this for the nostalgia (been a long time since I played EQ). Key question if whether the wife would join me for a duo. Rule set would work for us considering we don't have that kind of expendable time anymore.

The XP rate makes it super casual, you’ll have no grinding to do at all for most of these expansions other than raiding. Plus you’ll be able to save the next expansions major AA’s up front so you can dump 150 the day PoP goes live for example.

BUT they did say they are looking at feedback, who knows with this company honestly whats going to happen.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
What is this tomfoolery? I never did a TLP.

Makes raid mobs hit harder, have more mitigation, and debuff you is the short version. The debuff on you is based on the pet count hitting the raid mob, specifically mage / necro.

Before that people could one group raids with mages using chain summoning. On Fippy which I didnt play on, they had SK armies ive seen videos of as well that would nuke mobs before they even showed on the screen.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What is this tomfoolery? I never did a TLP.

It causes the mob to have increased damage, mitigation, and hps as well as a massive scaling reduction to stacked summon pet dps and a change to threat mechanics regarding said pets.

Aka mobs are tougher, wizards use rains, mages can fuck right off.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
How are Beastlords? Always burn out long before these things get to Luclin and can't decide between Ranger, Druid, and Beastlord